Mistakes Were Made: Part 1

MISTAKES WERE MADE PART VIII

Countdown to completion.

or 

All good things come to an end.

With the inner rack complete, my wife had the great idea of making the rack removeable in case we went on an overnight trip. But in my home, I’m THE MAN!  She's not the boss of me!!  (Please don’t tell her I said that).

I’d actually had grandiose ideas of using weld nuts and knurled bolts to set up the rack to take it out at will. But it would take some awkward angling to put them in and take them out each time, so I decided to pass. The next time I rip apart an expensive pannier, I’ll go with that plan.

It took a while to rivet the original parts back in place but in the end, they functioned as if they had never been molested by some hack with a drill. The magic was happening!!! 

I went to the store and got some black-adhesive-sauce, akin to the ridiculously horrible rage-glue Yamaha tried to foil my original plans with and got to work. The question remained: Would the panniers shells slide back together? Would they fit?? Would they come together as one, never to part again???

Alas, with some tape and time…

the heavens opened…

the angels sang…

...and the panniers shells slid together like sweet, sweet lovers!!!

With the pannier shells joined, there was one final concern.  @Wintersdark tapped into this deep menacing fear in an earlier post. THE HANDLE! The little monster that prompted this whole “adventure.” It was time to find out!

And so, my friends, it is with humble heart, and proud tear-brimmed eyes, I can now share the following announcement with the world…

The handle…

Now only… 

KIND OF sticks up!

z.jpg

zzzzz.jpg

zzzzzz.jpg

zzzzzzz.jpg

zzzzzzzz.jpg

Edited by JDChico89
  • Thumbsup 6
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

So - was it all worth it, apart from giving many of us a good laugh?

• Thumbsup 2
  • Thanks 1

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

• Supporting Member

Those partitions and the trauma kit - sheer brilliance.

• Thumbsup 2
  • Thanks 1

2015 FJ-09 / FJR touring bags / oil plug mod / Evotech rad guard / SW Motech bash plate / VStream touring windshield / Seat Concepts:  Sport Touring / Vcyclenut ABS rings (speedo correction) / Cosmo RAM mount

Fantastic write up, thank you for sharing your experience and for the entertainment. I have been contemplating adding a divider in my top box to make it easier to pop the crash helmet in beside the other stuff I carry. I hope you won't be offended if I don't ask for advice.:)

• Thumbsup 2
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, wordsmith said:

So - was it all worth it, apart from giving many of us a good laugh?

So, was it worth it?  Hmmm...I think yes.

I learned the internal functioning of a mystery, made some new friends, and got them to laugh.  All in all, I'd say it was WELL worth it!

Ride safe friends!

• Thumbsup 3
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 5/14/2021 at 9:39 AM, knyte said:

Those partitions and the trauma kit - sheer brilliance.

Right?  I'm totally in love with the idea of shaped kits to fit *just so* into those wierdly shaped panniers.  I keep a tool roll and small janky first aid kit in the left pannier, and it makes using it very awkward as they tend to want to jump out whenever I open it.  Or little dangly bits get in the way of the panniers closing properly, etc.  nicely shaped cases would use the space much more efficiently, not bounce all over the place, and ideally look swanky too (the red stripe on the FA kit in particular is awesome, I'd so love a matching toolkit with, say, a blue stripe along side that).

However, I'm totally incompetent when it comes to that sort of project.  My kits would end up looking much like @JDChico89's panniers before repairs.  And be soaked in blood.

• Thumbsup 2
  • Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/15/2021 at 7:18 PM, Wintersdark said:

Right?  I'm totally in love with the idea of shaped kits to fit *just so* into those wierdly shaped panniers.  I keep a tool roll and small janky first aid kit in the left pannier, and it makes using it very awkward as they tend to want to jump out whenever I open it.  Or little dangly bits get in the way of the panniers closing properly, etc.  nicely shaped cases would use the space much more efficiently, not bounce all over the place, and ideally look swanky too (the red stripe on the FA kit in particular is awesome, I'd so love a matching toolkit with, say, a blue stripe along side that).

However, I'm totally incompetent when it comes to that sort of project.  My kits would end up looking much like @JDChico89's panniers before repairs.  And be soaked in blood.

Who want's to start a business?  I think there's an opportunity here!!!