Foam Grip "Puppies"

1 hour ago, Garz747 said:

After todays ride , again  the stock bar grips  definitely feel  too small in diameter. Will be ordering next week.

Go for heated grips. Bigger diameter and extra benefit - heat. 

• 3 weeks later...

I have foam slip-on ones, I think "Grab On Grips" was the specific brand.  For me they were very easy to put on.  I used dish soap, it becomes sticky when it dries.  I got caught in a couple pretty severe downpours when out touring and they've never slipped.

I'm on my 5th year with them and they are just now starting to get brittle and tear at the ends and will need to be replaced.  More than got my money's worth for $20.

They definitely help with vibration, but for me it's more about increasing the diameter of the grip.  I start getting pain in my hand faster when having to maintain a smaller diameter grip.

I've got Grip Puppies as well.  Super easy to put on with compressed air (they just pop right on), no mess.  Mine have survived ~12000kms including a winter of rain, ice and snow and are still 100%.  Cost about $10, though, so even if they where near done I'd happily buy another set.  

Like @stevesweetz my primary motivation was increased grip diameter (my hands go numb really easily on narrow diameter grips) but yeah, they help with vibration too.

They don't hurt the heated grips at all, short of them taking a little bit more time to warm up.  They get just as warm in total.  While that's a bit of a downside, the flipside of that is that they don't get cold again if you take your hands off the grips while riding - they tend to resist change in temp, and that's quite welcome when it's cold. 

• Premium Member

I put them on for vibration but since I already filled my street naked, TH08 low and stock bars with BBs they didn't make a big change

and yes they work with the heated grips

but my arthritis is bothered a little bit by them because they are slippery sometimes, and the larger diameter aggravates the arthritis in my clutch hand, so I took them off

I do use lever skins, which progrip makes a crude version of and their Chinese clones, made out a silicone

the original lever skins slipped on like a tight hollow worm

they were in a  Sealed mylar envelope, and they came out all slippery and snotty, when they cured they shrunk down as tight as a sultry brunette in an evening dress

And we're like a ribbed Trojan 

Also excellent when wet

Yes, the idea is to increase the diameter. My hand is sore after an hour with the skinny stock grips.  Iv e suggested them as upcoming fathers days gift  ...will give full report after.

Whenever I buy a new bike - too often! - my first next purchase is always Grip Puppies, the genuine ones from the UK.   Like many have said, I fit them to increase grip diameter a little, and to reduce vibrations on non-triple bikes, almost non-existent though that may be on CP3 Tracers and the like.   I've never used the air compressor method - simply wetting the inside of the Puppy and the grip with soapy water,  adding if necessary a light smear of liquid soap, and twisting the Puppy as it slides on allows more or less immediate fitting.   Never had any issues with deterioration, slippage, whatever.   But do buy the genuine GPs - other I have seen with similar names are so thin that lights shines through if held up to a bulb!

Edited by wordsmith

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

• Premium Member

I had the genuine GP but as they wear and get dirty ìt burnishes their surface with makes them slippery.  I've lightly sanded them and cleaned them with Isopropyl alcohol but the larger diameter aggravates my arthritis and dislocated thumb when I reach for the clutch lever to quickly..