Tank Pad Options

jetpilot5

I've been looking at tank pads for the Niken hoping to find something before the season really gets started. Looking for a pad that didn't have flames, skulls, half naked women etc. The tank requires a rather short, wide pad which does limit the options somewhat. There is the offering from Yamaha for $39.99.

CNfnA1LvEODKiWJT5FJRZ7APztOSATi6HRduLjfE

And a few of choices on ebay for $30 - $50.

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

I wanted something simple that would do the job so after taking some approximate measurements of what I thought would fit well I bought a Ztechnik Z8502 pad. This pad is designed to fit a BMW R1200RT but fits the Niken like it was made for it. They're very nicely made and not crazy expensive at $29.95. I actually got mine as an ebay closeout of $12 plus shipping. I will say when you install it make sure it's exactly where you want it because it's not easy to reposition. 

zbmz8502r1200rt.jpg

zbmz8502r1200r.jpg

http://www.nationalcycle.com/z8502.html

I'm very happy with the end result.

IMG_1792.JPG

IMG_1793.JPG

• Thumbsup 1
  • Haha 1

• Supporting Member
1 hour ago, jetpilot5 said:

Looking for a pad that didn't have flames, skulls, half naked women

lol I can relate to this.

Looks sharp though, nice find.

• Thumbsup 2
  • Haha 1

2015 FJ-09 / FJR touring bags / oil plug mod / Evotech rad guard / SW Motech bash plate / VStream touring windshield / Seat Concepts:  Sport Touring / Vcyclenut ABS rings (speedo correction) / Cosmo RAM mount

• Supporting Member

Looks great. You reminded me that I still needed to get a tank pad. I held off because I was planning on getting a magnetic tank pad from Magknight but then learned that the Niken gas tank isn't magnetic. 

I ended up ordering a Progrip from Revzilla that's currently on closeout. 

05901562-202B-4543-87B9-E3765D1B63CB.jpeg

2019 Niken GT
"Motorcycles - the brand is not important, the fact that you ride is."

• 2 weeks later...
  • Supporting Member

Installed Progrip tank pad yesterday. Had to bust out my Bosch leveling laser to set a straight reference line from the absolute middle of the tail section to the center bolt at the top of the fuel tank cover. This reference line made it much easier to make sure you're putting the tank pad at the dead center position  of the bike. Too hard otherwise to do it by eye or tape measure - and yes I realize this may seem excessive except my prior bike  had a tank pad that was installed slightly off center by the prior owner and it bothered me for years. 

The Progrip tank pad seemed as though it would allow your belly to grip the bike better as a result of it but the one I got was not grippy at all, but smooth. So while I think it will pass waterproofing tests it doesn't seem to actually grip at all and is more for tank scratch protection. 

AECD5EF4-6B7B-410E-A887-B48362536A7F.jpeg

2836A169-9A8B-45ED-9BDE-ACE80C411696.jpeg

819ABE96-8FEB-4AB1-901C-A9C489F34A7B.jpeg

E3548298-538E-4821-82AC-203C8FDBEF4E.jpeg

6A1B1F8B-AF2F-48AA-B76D-6974FBABEAF0.jpeg

F21A19DA-FD42-4BE2-BE3E-4C5A06AACF34.jpeg

7E5BB745-4413-4AD3-B82C-61FA776E8684.jpeg

ADF15B95-0E76-498F-8D21-E6EF605F14A9.jpeg

• Thumbsup 1
  • Like 1

2019 Niken GT

Impressive alignment for sure! I'm not sure I will ever get a tank pad. My tank is the gray color, and honestly, it's not that flashy blue or red. I like the grey just fine, but a few scratches are just not going to show much or matter to me. And really, I have the bar risers so my belly is never really near the tank anyway. What I need now is a tank bag...

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
5 hours ago, maximNikenGT said:

slightly off center by the prior owner and it bothered me for years.

Oh man this would bug me every time I were to see it haha, great idea with the laser.  Looks great

• Thumbsup 1

2015 FJ-09 / FJR touring bags / oil plug mod / Evotech rad guard / SW Motech bash plate / VStream touring windshield / Seat Concepts:  Sport Touring / Vcyclenut ABS rings (speedo correction) / Cosmo RAM mount

• Supporting Member
13 hours ago, Rovari said:

Wow, you really wanted it center eh? Looks good! 

It bothered me so much on my last bike when it was off center. And tank pads, you generally don't ever swap them out once on. 

2019 Niken GT

• Supporting Member
8 hours ago, knyte said:

Oh man this would bug me every time I were to see it haha, great idea with the laser.  Looks great

Thank you sir - I really wanted to put it on as soon as I got it but had to wait to get my laser to be absolutely sure that it was perfectly centered. In the back of my head I kept thinking, oh please don't let the Niken be somehow asymmetrical such that the laser is perfectly lined up but visually it's off... I've had too many house windows like that where they appeared to be true but they were just off skew a little. 

2019 Niken GT

• Supporting Member
9 hours ago, Salish900 said:

Impressive alignment for sure! I'm not sure I will ever get a tank pad. My tank is the gray color, and honestly, it's not that flashy blue or red. I like the grey just fine, but a few scratches are just not going to show much or matter to me. And really, I have the bar risers so my belly is never really near the tank anyway. What I need now is a tank bag...

Which bar risers and how high of a lift did you get? I tried inquiring about getting some bar risers but the ones I checked into didn't actually  have ones that fit. That plus I wasn't sure how much leeway the stock Yamaha cables allowed to utilize bar risers...

I've also heard another Niken owner mention that the addition of their bar risers actually dramatically affected the bike's handling negatively. How's your experience been? 

2019 Niken GT

2 hours ago, maximNikenGT said:

Which bar risers and how high of a lift did you get?

I'm using Motopumps bar risers and I'm not sure the rise but it brings them up and back toward you. Works perfectly for me. No problem with cables. 

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
6 hours ago, jetpilot5 said:

Pad looks great. I’ll have to remember the laser trick. I used a string line to stay centered but the laser would be easier. 

Always remember, when in doubt...

giphy.gif

2019 Niken GT