RKA 13L Shiloh Tank Bag Installed

Roxysdad

I’ve always been a fan of this little company in NorCal.  I love to shop local when I can, and these guys have been around for ages now, so I’m  happy to send them my money for a nice piece of kit.  The Shiloh 13L is a great fit for the shape of the tank, as the pictures show, albeit a somewhat smaller tank bag than I’m used to.  But when I sat down to think about it, the main stuff I kept in my old bag fits in here, minus the sweatshirt I used to pack in there to lay on when I was tired (old sport bike days).  So the seating position of this bike really works out great, and now I’m packing just the minimal supplies needed.  It does expand should I need that someday.  Oh, and the “F” style front is the one you want, not the “Y”.  The front straps then both go forward instead of to the right/left angle.  A nice bonus;  I ordered it Tuesday and its here today with included shipping.  I had found a couple RKA tank bags on eBay that I almost pulled the trigger on, but the strap direction and size of the bag were going to be terrible on the Tracer, so I’m glad I didn’t go that direction.   I’m excited to take it for a ride this evening.  Hope you are all well!

FD637C37-634C-4A8E-8EB8-42A34284C6E7.jpeg

0AD74840-9F79-40AB-8025-788E976D3DEF.jpeg

AB59890C-3370-4385-8BCB-CA0140D52B2E.jpeg

FA809AAB-24EA-4D47-AB7C-49B8AFB6D767.jpeg

Edited by Roxysdad
  • Thumbsup 1

First ride done!  Did it’s job wonderfully and I think the size will work out well.  Now the task of finding a solution for the rear of the bike!  It got a little chilly along the river tonight, so going to need to pack a sweater somewhere.  

I got one like this, fit's perfect on pillion seat and looks good on bike, quick on/off. It does make climbing on the bike a bit harder if the joints ain't what they used to be.  

Tankbag fit's well.

s-l400.jpg

15-21 Litre. 1 External Pocket. We will accept your request at our...

• Premium Member

What do you attach the straps to on the bike and where?  I've never been able to secure straps tight enough for the bag to not drift to one side or the other.  The straps are always too short to secure them far enough apart.

5 hours ago, 1moreroad said:

What do you attach the straps to on the bike and where?  I've never been able to secure straps tight enough for the bag to not drift to one side or the other.  The straps are always too short to secure them far enough apart.

Piece of cake actually.  The bag design has the straps going toward the front, an important feature of the bag if you ask me.  If they go out at an angle then it doesn’t work with the design of our bike.  There’s way too much strap left over if you just go toward the front, down and around the frame.  I left the straps long for this week so I can decide where to cut them.   In the pics I think you can see how the strap wraps around the frame, through the loop in the strap, then up to the bag.  One per each side of the frame.  

EBE937C1-3A5A-4281-9CB0-33F60DB34D3D.jpeg

3398E0AC-DBB6-4180-934B-2AA6E4CF035A.jpeg

• Thumbsup 1
  • Thanks 1

• Supporting Member

How's removal for refuelling?

EDIT:  now that I use my eyes, it looks like the straps have quick-disconnect/connect snaps.

Edited by knyte
used eyes

2015 FJ-09 / FJR touring bags / oil plug mod / Evotech rad guard / SW Motech bash plate / VStream touring windshield / Seat Concepts:  Sport Touring / Vcyclenut ABS rings (speedo correction) / Cosmo RAM mount

On 10/2/2020 at 6:25 AM, Roxysdad said:

Now the task of finding a solution for the rear of the bike!  It got a little chilly along the river tonight, so going to need to pack a sweater somewhere.  

These are excellent, if a little pricey. Very quick on and off and completely waterproof. Quite low profile if not packed fully and the shoulder strap is great for just picking the back up and walking away. I see they now do a tank bag attachment so you can put it on front or back of the bike.  The attachment straps live permanently under the passenger seat on mine.

us-20-scrambler.jpg?format=1500w

Universal-fit waterproof luggage system for Street, Modern Classic...

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

3 hours ago, BBB said:

These are excellent, if a little pricey. Very quick on and off and completely waterproof. Quite low profile if not packed fully and the shoulder strap is great for just picking the back up and walking away. I see they now do a tank bag attachment so you can put it on front or back of the bike.  The attachment straps live permanently under the passenger seat on mine.

us-20-scrambler.jpg?format=1500w

Universal-fit waterproof luggage system for Street, Modern Classic...

Do you have any pics with that on your bike, and off the bike?  Interested in the straps living permanently there. Thank you!

18 minutes ago, Roxysdad said:

Do you have any pics with that on your bike, and off the bike?  Interested in the straps living permanently there. Thank you!

Just for you, I braved storm Alex and ran the few steps to my garage. You should be able to see the straps that attach to the subframe under the seat, then what they look like with the rear seat on, and finally, the Kriega US 20 mounted in-line with just my waterproof trousers and jacket inside.

7A66DB85-6139-4DF2-ADF2-2C8975FABBDC.jpeg

DA729BE1-566B-45B5-87C6-1BDDCD0A668B.jpeg

E4ADD8AC-F9E4-4820-8EEA-AD4EF22509E9.jpeg

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

• Premium Member

I had the 13l Shiloh Road on my FJ-09 for a few years.  Superb quality.  Like @Roxysdad I was happy to give the owners my hard earned cash. I visited the shop while in the area on business and Richard and Kathy treated me like I was their first customer.  They’re part of the dying breed of small specialty businesses owned and operated by passionate enthusiasts.  

I also have the Kriega tail bag setup and it’s great.  Bite the bullet and buy the US-20 new, then bide your  time on eBay and moto forums waiting for deals on used smaller bags in the US- series.

• Thumbsup 1

IBA Member #59800

3 Nations Brewing Mug Club #100

OOHH.. That Kriega bag is way cool.  I had an Ortlieb dry duffle years ago, and I can’t find it for the life of me!  So I think this is going to replace that in my touring setup.  I like the idea of getting the base bag, then looking on eBay for other goodies to add to it.  Thank you so much for the pictures.  

And that Storm Alex - had to google it - looks terrible!  Hope you are all OK over there in Europe/UK.

Edited by Roxysdad
  • Thumbsup 1

• 5 months later...
  • Supporting Member
On 10/1/2020 at 5:35 PM, Roxysdad said:

The Shiloh 13L is a great fit for the shape of the tank

Just ordered one based on your review and pics.  Thanks for that write up.  It helped tremendously to arrive at a decision.  I thought long and hard about an SW Motec, but the RKA looks to be a better fit for me.

Did you get the electrics, too?  Curious to know your thoughts on that.  I ordered the rain bag, so it looks like the electrics are included.

2015 FJ-09 / FJR touring bags / oil plug mod / Evotech rad guard / SW Motech bash plate / VStream touring windshield / Seat Concepts:  Sport Touring / Vcyclenut ABS rings (speedo correction) / Cosmo RAM mount