Travelling north again - 4500km through Far North Queensland, and back...

wordsmith

For anybody who has never heard of him Geoff Hill has written several m'cycle travel books including Around Oz on a Triumph (also across and up & down Americas not to mention India to UK on an Enfield)----

I know there are lots of people writing Big Trip books but he is a really funny writer 😀😀😀.

5 hours ago, suncoaster said:

Well done Lawrence !

Thanks Robert, old friend!   How're things Up on the Hill?

Edited by wordsmith

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

Hi Lawrence

We've just completed half a lap, that was 19,000 km in 4 months around half of Australia, in a 4wd.

Hunter Valley,  Bylong Valley,  Hill End, Crookwell, Tumut to Jingellic, King Valley, Yarra Valley, McLaren Vale, Barossa, Clare Valley,  Flinder's Ranges, (rain on Oodnadatta track so) Port Augusta , then up the centre via Uluru, turned right at Tennant Creek, left at Camooweal to Lawn Hill. Then Karumba (best Barramundi ever !) across to Cooktown (missed you).

Then Atherton, Charters Towers, Ravenswood, Hughenden, Richmond, Winton, Longreach,  Barcaldine, Charleville, Chinchilla, The Bunyas and home.

And a few places in between.

Planning to ride to Phillip Island in February for the superbikes, (that's the excuse anyway), so about 3,500-4000km over a couple of weeks on the Tracer. Want to come along ?

Very interested in your Bagster seat, I've an Airhawk and a sheepskin, and a bit of foam at the front of the stock seat to re angle it, and it's still not very comfortable. Also sometimes use padded shorts which make the most difference to my sit bones comfort.

Have you had a chance to try it out ? Is it worth the $ (I reckon about $40 per day on that trip) ?

• Thumbsup 1

Well, that has been a trip and a half, Robert: I am green!   I have been to/ through most of the places you mention.   Glad you made it safely, 4WD or no 4WD...   My new seat remains unused while I deal with this pesky painful right shoulder...

Edited by wordsmith

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

• 3 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

Outstanding write-up and photos as always! I had a map open and followed along with your description. 

Your idea to store a tire repair kit in the nacelles above the tank is brilliant. I've always felt this space could be useful for something, and it bothers me that I don't always have a repair kit with me. This will be my next project.

• Thumbsup 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, keithu said:

Outstanding write-up and photos as always! I had a map open and followed along with your description. 

Your idea to store a tire repair kit in the nacelles above the tank is brilliant. I've always felt this space could be useful for something, and it bothers me that I don't always have a repair kit with me. This will be my next project.

Thanks, keithu.   Glad you rode along with me!   Here's a pic of the proprietary puncture repair kit that I'm carrying - the red-handled pliers are my addition as I doubt it would be either easy or possible using fingers alone to pull a nail or screw out if deeply embedded in a flat tyre.    I don't know how effective this kit would be - I've carried one for many years, and never had to use it roadside, but it gives a certain peace of mind.   

The 'nacelle' on the other side could also be used if more kit of this kind was to be carried; on longer trips I also carry a small electric pump in either the top-box or pannier, there being no room on the bike itself to store it.   But again I've never had to use it.

P1060103.JPG

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, koth442 said:

I watched a YouTube video last night talking about Oz.. I had no idea it was so huge! 

About 93% of the surface area of continental United States.   And only about 25 million yoomans, and 30 million kangaroos...

• Thumbsup 2

• Supporting Member
1 hour ago, wordsmith said:

About 93% of the surface area of continental United States.   And only about 25 million yoomans, and 30 million kangaroos...

Let's get some perspective.

Aus.thumb.jpg.d3b12b5bdec8899a165f1e728eb61395.jpg

• Thumbsup 1
  • Like 1

She's a B-I-G country!   And right now half of it is on fire.

Edited by wordsmith
  • Sad 1

Thanks for the perspective guys. Mind boggling really.

On 11/21/2019 at 7:54 PM, wordsmith said:

She's a B-I-G country!   And right now half of it is on fire.

The half where people live or the half out in the desert? 

'15 FJ09