To Tell the Truth

So I had a ‘15 FJ-09 back in ‘16 but sold it quite quickly. I currently own a ‘14 FJR and a MT-10. I’ve owned a lot of bikes and as a retirement gig I work at a big bike dealer where I’m a test rider so I get to ride everything.  After 25 years together my wife decided she wanted to start riding with me.  I wasn’t about to say no but with a 30” inseam the FJR is a lot of bike for me alone and I couldn’t see putting her on the back of the MT-10 so I bought a mint used FJ-09.  It works perfect for 2 up riding the back roads around home and we’re having a blast. My wife says it’s more comfortable than the pillion on the FJR. I love my FJR and my MT-10 both great bikes but here’s the thing.  More and more I find myself grabbing the FJ-09 when I’m riding solo.  It’s smaller, lighter, quicker, and more nimble than The Mighty FJR and the ride doesn’t beat you up like the MT-10 on bumpy backroads.  In fact a friend asked me to ride with him one day next week and it will be a 1000 mile day and I think I’ll take the FJ-09 instead of my trusty Iron Butt stead.  I am really just enjoying this bike.  People say it’s a great bike for the price but I disagree.  It is a great bike period.  I had a long list of improvements I imagined it needed but to be honest I changed the windshield and that’s it I’m riding heck out of it.  Maybe if I get bored I’ll tweak it for the fun of it but it really doesn’t need it it’s just fine as it is. You could spend a lot more money but it would be hard to find a better all around bike. 

• Premium Member

Bigger touring bikes definitely have their place, but I am a huge proponent of touring on lighter motorcycles. The FJ-09 has nearly the same riding position as the FJR, so with a better seat and windscreen it can definitely be a good touring bike.

• Thumbsup 2

My ideal sport touring bike is one that is as light as possible without sacrificing comfort and desired function.  Any added  unnecessary weight is a detriment to braking, handling, acceleration, fuel mileage etc.  This is one of the main reasons I chose the Tracer. 

• Thumbsup 2
  • Like 1

There is nothing like spending a day riding with friends in the grip of a shared obsession.

donk I get were you are coming from.

Since owning my 2016 FJ-09 I have been through:

-Super Tenere

-FZ-09

-KTM Super Adventure S

-KTM Super Duke GT

And now a Tracer GT the best of the bunch for my sport/touring riding

I thought the Duke GT would be my dream bike but the Tracer is more FUN!! and that's why I ride.

• Supporting Member

Welcome to the family, Donk!  We all drank the KoolAid and are now totally hooked on our FJs and GTs!

2019 Yamaha Tracer 900 GT (Annabelle)
2013 Suzuki V-Strom DL650 (Juliette)
2013 Yamaha FJR 1300 (Rachel)
2008 Suzuki Bandit 1250S (Fiona)
2006 Honda VFR800 (Jenny)
2005 Suzuki V-Strom DL650 (Hannah)
2003 Honda Shadow Sabre VT1100 (Veronica)

1 hour ago, candave650 said:

-Super Tenere

-FZ-09

-KTM Super Adventure S

-KTM Super Duke GT

I thought the Duke GT would be my dream bike but the Tracer is more FUN!! and that's why I ride.

Hey @candave650,

That's a whole lotta bikes since 2016!  Question...

Did a Versus 1000 ever tempt you?  Looks a bit more solid than the FJ but smaller than a KTM.

If not, how come?

cb

Edited by nhchris
1968 Triumph Bonneville 650
1971 Norton Commando Roadster
2002 Harley 1200 Sportster
2003 Honda ST 1300
2016 FJ 09

28 minutes ago, nhchris said:

Hey @candave650,

That's a whole lotta bikes since 2016!  Question...

Did a Versus 1000 ever tempt you?  Looks a bit more solid than the FJ but smaller than a KTM.

If not, how come?

cb

Not the 1000 but the 650 tempted me (my brother has a 650 and loves it)

At my age (old) I just prefer the lighter weight and handling of twins and triples

Dave

Thanks.

I'd like to ride  a 1000 for comparison re weight vs comfort.  It's 100 lbs more than my FJ but that might be offset by a better / quieter ride.

cb

1968 Triumph Bonneville 650
1971 Norton Commando Roadster
2002 Harley 1200 Sportster
2003 Honda ST 1300
2016 FJ 09

Interesting.. I've come from a KTM background, sdgt being my last. Fantastic bike aswel. Comfy enough, plenty of go and I liked it's looks, toured on it no probs.  MY17  but, it did have niggles and my dealer was a distance away. L/h switch gear packed up, gearbox not the best. finding neutral was a science. Feet slipped off pegs and the thing that haunted me the most was the infamous software updates. In the end the novelty of electronic gadgets wore off. 

Went to my local Yamaha dealer and was taken by the tracer. Very comfy, light, good looking, not many gadgets, non GT and it is great getting the centre stand back, not had one for years. Love the triple, all the power I need, not had a four for years. . Heated grips, sorted.

Still early days but I think I've started a long and happy relationship.

Making me a happy chap.

3 hours ago, whistler said:

We all drank the KoolAid and are now totally hooked on our FJs and GTs!

I'm the odd duck here. If I'm being honest, I'm still working on falling in love with mine. On paper it should be everything I want, it's even farkled to my own prefs, but there is still something that keeps me from lusting a ride on it. I've only put 5k miles on mine, and that's because an embarrassing number of times I end up backing it out of the garage just to roll out my 20 year old SV650 and ride it instead. I love the feeling of being so enchanted with a bike that all you can think of is to get off work and go ride. I'm hoping it happens for me at some point. 

• Thumbsup 1

’70 Yamaha 125 Enduro; ’75 Honda CB360T; ’81 Yamaha XS650SH; ’82 Honda GL650 Silver Wing Interstate; ’82 Suzuki GS650L; ’87 Yamaha Virago 535; ’87 Yamaha FJ1200; ’96 Honda ST1100; ’99 Yamaha V-Star Classic; ’00 Suzuki SV650; ’07 BMW K1200GT; ’12 Suzuki DR200; ’15 Yamaha FJ-09.  Bold = current

6 hours ago, candave650 said:

-Super Tenere

-FZ-09

-KTM Super Adventure S

-KTM Super Duke GT

I saw an in price reduced Super Tenere at a local dealer. It made me wonder if it is more touring oriented than the Tracer GT, as far as comfort and engine are concern. What is your experience?

• Premium Member
34 minutes ago, Michiel900GT said:

I saw an in price reduced Super Tenere at a local dealer. It made me wonder if it is more touring oriented than the Tracer GT, as far as comfort and engine are concern. What is your experience?

I test rode one about a month ago. Really comfortable and a smooth ride. The engine isn't for me. For that bike the engine is probably great. I like my triple.

• Supporting Member
6 hours ago, nhchris said:

Thanks.

I'd like to ride  a 1000 for comparison re weight vs comfort.  It's 100 lbs more than my FJ but that might be offset by a better / quieter ride.

cb

@nhchris - It is definitely worth taking a test ride, I considered the Versys 1000 and test rode it a few times (as well as the 650- loved the chassis, hated the engine braking) before deciding on the FJ.  The Versys is larger but not unwieldy and is very smooth. While on the test ride all I could think was “This is so comfortable, I just want to continue on to California”.   

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

1 hour ago, Michiel900GT said:

The Super Tenere is a great machine and the best do everything motorcycle that I have owned (43 and counting)

Great at touring with legendary reliability,shaft drive,cruise,electronic suspension and tons of accessories

Handling is suprisingly light for a large bike, better than a FJR IMHO

It is heavy(good in cross winds),  high and the engine is OK but noisy and has some vibration

The more I rode it the more I considered it like the swiss army knife of motorcycles.A good all rounder but not outstanding at one thing.Sort of boring to ride if I am honest.

Dave

I own both.Alot has to do with rider size.Im 6-6 270 and cant ride 2 up on the 09.We use the s10 for 2 up riding.Much more room on s10.S10 the cct can go out but you will here that before trouble.If your average size guy and ride single ,id stay with the tracer.You would be bored with the s10.For me both bikes have a purpose.

• Thumbsup 1