FJ-09 vs Tracer 900 vs Tracer 900GT

Back in July, I and my FJ-09 had the misfortune of being on the highway when a car decided come into our lane exactly where we were at the time. The result for me was 6 broken ribs, a broken clavicle, a concussion and traumatic brain injury (since healed). MY FJ is not quite as bad, but still awaiting a insurance settlement. The poor thing may have to be totaled, but I hope not. Since I can't ride for a few more months, I'm trying to decide what to but to replace the bike if necessary. I have read everything I can get my hands on to help me decide between another  FJ-09, a Tracer 900 or 900GT. So, if you were to have to chose between the 3 bikes, which would you buy? Is the GT worth the extra money for all the extras it has? Is the Tracer 900 different enough than the FJ-09 to pay more for it? I would be grateful for any opinions.

Thanks,

Murray

So I just went through this exercise (the Tracer 900 vs the GT at least) since I was upgrading from an old Sprint ST I had. 

I also looked at some used FJ09 (2015's or so).   

The 2019 Tracer 900 was the odd bike out in the testing...   More expensive than the FJ09 with minimal changes (I think the suspension is a big stronger on the 2019 than the 2015 was) .     The GT is a different league.   Better suspension by a mile, cruise control, bags (small, but very functional), seemed to have better ergonomics I felt.  The tracer 900 is just an iteration (minor at best) from the earlier FJ, for 10K+$.   Where the GT is a pretty specific and impressive upgrade.     Worth the extra money without question - cruise control to me is worth 1K$ on its own. 

Only gotcha is GT's are becoming hard to find in a lot of places around the country. 

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member

@mkbrooks - Since I have upgraded almost everything on my '15 FJ to current "GT specs" (except for quick shifter) I personally would have bought a GT if it was available at the time and would do the same today if I was faced with the same decision.

• Thumbsup 3

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Nothing wrong with either bike, suspension is needed but I can live with it... I have already built my GT long before Yamaha released one by copying what the forum peeps wanted... I would buy a FJ-09 over the newer bikes to save cash to build the bike to me vs spending the extra for a newer bike and still having to spend more to build it to me...

2012 wr250f - C-class 30+ age group
2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition-80whp
2015 fj-09- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich tune by 2WDW @120whp

I would probably go with the 900 GT unless I came across a used FJ/Tracer with significant upgrades.

If you are only comparing brand new bikes I would go with the GT hands down.

• Thumbsup 1

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

I was in the same boat last year. Got hit in a parking lot and totaled a brand new XSR900 and myself. I ended up buying a brand new 2017 leftover FJ09 for 8900 plus sales tax out the door. A new tracer was almost 2K more. The Tracer GT was just more money than I wanted to spend and I didn't want the bike as a touring bike. I actually chose the FJ09 over the FZ09 because of the larger gas tank and pillion seat for my GF  to ride with me once in a rare while. (so far I've put on 6500 miles in 10 months and she's ridden with me for about 15 miles) I ended up spending quite a bit on mods but I have the bike I want. I did heated grips, K-Tech front and rear, exhaust, flash, wind screen and LED turn signals  and a Blaster X tail light. In stock trim, the 2019 are probably a better bike but for me I still have to do most of the same mods. Which ever way you go, you're going to have a cool motorcycle.

Edited by Guest

I just went all in and got the GT.

Sure you can save money up front and add back some of the missing bits like a better suspension, cruise control, quick shifter,  bags and so forth.

I like getting all that stuff in stock form and some things like electronic cruise control and a color dash probably can never be added back.

9 hours ago, roadwarrior said:

I just went all in and got the GT.

Sure you can save money up front and add back some of the missing bits like a better suspension, cruise control, quick shifter,  bags and so forth.

I like getting all that stuff in stock form and some things like electronic cruise control and a color dash probably can never be added back.

Cruise can be added but it's not cheap... that new color dash is pretty

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

I suppose it all depends on what your doing with your bike and where you live. My last bike was made out of factory gadgets. C/C, Q/S, Electronic suspension,etc. There was stories of things going expensively wrong out of warranty. 

On our congested roads in the UK, I found Cc could only be used for motorways which I generally avoid, did try it but felt alien, plus my hand is on grip anyway. Qs can be fun, but not necessary on the road and I believe missuse can damage gearbox. Tft screens don't excite me. Boxes are good if your 2 up with luggage, I'm only 1 up so givi bag on back seat.

For me though, Heated grips are essential and I had them installed at shop and intergrated to dash. Often when buying new bike, dealer will fit extras at no fitting cost.

Which ever way you go, you'll be a happy chap.

Rear suspension adjustment on GT is good though.

Edited by Dodgy Knees

Great value in used FJs right now.

I'd have to upgrade suspension on any of the choices. I don't run side bags, cruise isn't a deal breaker for me, heated grips integrated with the dash can be done for 50ish bucks. Going by comments here they all need shields and seats (tho I like my stock FJ seat). There just aren't any must haves for me in the upgrade to a newer model GT or otherwise. So I'd be shopping for a used FJ with some of those upgrades already done. 

EG I see a '15 FJ advertised over on the fz1oa. Asking $6500,  only 4000 miles, MC Cruise, Sargeant seat, vstream, Shad tail trunk. Relatively cheap airfare to fly and buy destination in middle of country (Iowa) before end of riding season. Upgrade suspension. Let someone else eat the cost of depreciation and as many upgrades as possible :) 

Ymmv. 

Edited by chitown

I have a GT and love it, didn't buy it for the panniers but they are a welcome addition, love the cc and that was the main reason to buy it, 30/40 limit cc on and rest my hand, 80 cruising cc on, I avoid motorways like the plague but use cc all the time.

Wasn't sure about qs till I used it, addictive😁 dash is lovely and being able to adjust heated grips through it is great and shift light, rev counter colour (at certain revs) and background colour (black or white) are all configurable,  thumb wheel on right side is not very user friendly though.

Seat I find comfortable but don't like forward slope, same as S10 I owned, I want a level seat so will get it done over the winter.

Screen I've had worse and not that bothered by it.

Edited by nigel5

Thanks to everyone for the comments. I think, if money was no object, I would go for a new GT.

Like a lot of you, my FJ-09 was heavily accessorized for touring. Fortunately, none of it was damaged in the crash.

Since I started this thread, I have received a settlement offer from the insurance company which wouldn't buy me a used stock bike, much less one with all the equipment on it that mine has. It looks it's very likely I will demand that they take the bike to a dealer for a repair estimate and have it fixed rather than declared a total loss. I don't think there is any major damage. If I'm wrong, I'll be looking for a used replacement after I heal.

• Thumbsup 2