Tail Tidy For the older FJ's

• Premium Member

I've ordered a R&G fender eliminator tail tidy for a 2019 Tracer from twisted throttle. From the pictures and the pdf instructions it appears that it will fit on the older 2015 - 2018 models. 

Why I did this is because that the R&G design allows you to keep the turn signals with the hard luggage. On the 2019 model. There are no guarantees that this will work with the older models.

One of the reasons I believe this might work is the part numbers for the arm that holds the license plate and turn signals is the same for all models and the plastic cover for the space over the wheel and under the seat is the same too. 

If this is something you might be interested in. Stay tuned.

• Thumbsup 1

"It doesn't matter who walks in, you know the joke is still the same"  Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. USA

• Premium Member

It was a success. And I love the look.

20190822_163229.jpg

20190822_164837.jpg

20190822_164157.jpg

• Thumbsup 3
  • Like 2

"It doesn't matter who walks in, you know the joke is still the same"  Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. USA

• Premium Member
7 hours ago, bigorangecntry07 said:

Also on my list of upgrades... Hows that rear extended fender working? I've been thinking about getting that as well or making my own...

Meh. I think it helps. Crap still gets everywhere..... YMMV

• 1 month later...

Looks great, fddriver 2, but the fact that the turn signals (pumpkins) are hidden from other drivers by the panniers makes it an unsafe proposition, I think - and may attract the unwanted attention of the pleece.   It certainly would here.

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

• 9 months later...
  • Premium Member
2 hours ago, 2and3cylinders said:

I agree but if you have an 18 and on, cheapest yet

Rear Tail Tidy/Fender Eliminator Kit For Yamaha MT-09 Tracer/FJ-09...

I'm guessing that the turn signals don't fit with the sidecases. 

I love the look of the black metal tail bracket sticking out from underneath the seat but did not like the bulky splash guard.  I purchased a fender eliminator from Aliexpress for $29 and was able to use the stock turn signals.  I drilled two extra holes into the new kit to reinforce to the original tail bracket.  Also came with a very bright LED lic plate light. It achieved the look i wanted.

Capture.jpg

IMG_3475.jpg

IMG_3476.jpg

IMG_3477.jpg

thanks. I drilled holes on the top part of the plate where it connects to the bracket.  The originals were not perfectly aligned but the bracket covers them up so no harm no foul.  My experience is that anything from China needs some sort of minor modification.  For the record i have a 2020, so there may be minor differences.

• 2 months later...

Howdy, y'all.  I recently bought a used '15 FJ.  Previous owner had installed a tail tidy, a Yoshimura.  He left the stock turn signals on.  The bike did not come with the factory side bags, but, I'm looking into purchasing them.  The problem I've encountered is that the tail tidy set up will not allow the install of the factory bags.....the bags would be hitting the signals and not allow them to install correctly.  My thought is to re-install the factory bracket.  Was hoping to find someone on ebay trying to sell theirs, but, not having any luck.   I like the R&G set up, but, I agree with others that visibility of the indicators is less than ideal.   Any suggestions?

On 8/17/2019 at 3:50 AM, fddriver2 said:

I've ordered a R&G fender eliminator tail tidy for a 2019 Tracer from twisted throttle. From the pictures and the pdf instructions it appears that it will fit on the older 2015 - 2018 models. 

Why I did this is because that the R&G design allows you to keep the turn signals with the hard luggage. On the 2019 model. There are no guarantees that this will work with the older models.

One of the reasons I believe this might work is the part numbers for the arm that holds the license plate and turn signals is the same for all models and the plastic cover for the space over the wheel and under the seat is the same too. 

If this is something you might be interested in. Stay tuned.

My R&G doesn't look anything like this, I have a 2017 and there is no way to fit the luggage with the flickers.

This looks like a better solution.

I like a clean installation. I went with the MotoDynamics, and nixed the pumpkins altogether (even the 12oclock Labs signals I had on previously), and just went with the turn signals in the CustomLed brake light.

IMG_0032.jpg

• Thumbsup 2
  • Like 1

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, andz said:

My R&G doesn't look anything like this, I have a 2017 and there is no way to fit the luggage with the flickers.

This looks like a better solution.

@andz

If you go back to the first post. This is a 2019 R&G tail tidy.  That I put on my 2015. I don't know about the 2020 or 2021 Tracer but the bases for all years FJ's and Tracers through 2019 are the same. They have the same PN on the Yamaha Parts fiche. Also my rear turn signals are LED from a Super Tenere IIRC. PN  YME-W0789-00-00. Much smaller and much brighter. Not to mention that the R&G tail tidy is a bit pricey considering....