Road 5 Tire Pressures?

For those of you running Michelin Road 5s,  what pressures do you run front and rear?

(I am about 250 pounds kitted out.)

Thanks!

1968 Triumph Bonneville 650
1971 Norton Commando Roadster
2002 Harley 1200 Sportster
2003 Honda ST 1300
2016 FJ 09

Not running Road 5's but I run 35 to 36 in the front and 38 in the rear. I'm 250 AGATT and use the same pressure when touring with side bags and a 40 liter top case. Hope this helps.

• Thumbsup 1

Ain't no fun when the rabbit gets the gun!

• Supporting Member
16 hours ago, tktplz said:

Not running Road 5's but I run 35 to 36 in the front and 38 in the rear.

I run that exact same pressure in both sport or sport/touring tires.

• Thumbsup 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Thanks guys.

I ran 37/34 yesterday on a 230 mile scrub in ride and they felt fine.  I'll up pressure a bit and see how they go.

Very predictable at good lean and solid in high speed sweepers.

But, they seem a bit noisy compared to the OEMs I replaced. Maybe all those sipes?

cb

1968 Triumph Bonneville 650
1971 Norton Commando Roadster
2002 Harley 1200 Sportster
2003 Honda ST 1300
2016 FJ 09

• 9 months later...
  • Supporting Member

Any update, new info from those with experience of these or other thoughts regarding the pressure figures for these tyres/tires?

I was going to run them at 33/37 given I'm around 85KGs/187lbs in gear.  What say ye?

36 minutes ago, dazzler24 said:

Any update, new info from those with experience of these or other thoughts regarding the pressure figures for these tyres/tires?

I was going to run them at 33/37 given I'm around 85KGs/187lbs in gear.  What say ye?

I am 195 in full gear and run those same pressures.  Works well for me.

• Thanks 1

There is nothing like spending a day riding with friends in the grip of a shared obsession.

33 front, 36 rear.     36  42 is really too hard unless you've got a pillion. It will work, but it's a manafacturers standard and on the safe side so people load their bike up or carry a pillion. Some people are happier going by the book as that's how they go about life. I now run 33 36 on all my road bikes, it makes them more compliant and grippier. However, as with most things, it's up to you to try those pressures, they just work for me. Your bikes not going to spontaneously combust if you try those pressures. Just to throw you into a pit of snakes, odd tire wear is often put down to wrong tire pressure, but it's can be poor suspension set up..

https://youtu.be/X-uiiksWsOs

• Thumbsup 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/13/2019 at 1:29 PM, nhchris said:

Thanks guys.

I ran 37/34 yesterday on a 230 mile scrub in ride and they felt fine.  I'll up pressure a bit and see how they go.

But, they seem a bit noisy compared to the OEMs I replaced. Maybe all those sipes?

cb

The noise is because your going faster ! Haha.   I found oem's a bit stiff/hard and had a lack of feeI.Thought it was the bike until I put 4's on, and they made a big difference in feel on the sweepy stuff. They also lasted way longer, so win win. The 5's I'm on now are a tad better than 4's but not much in it despite the advertising hype. Try upping pressure, but think 37/34 is where you'll end up. We're a bit screwed in the UK now, only crucial journeys, so make the most of it if you can get out.

Edited by Tripletrouble

• 2 weeks later...

I run the Mich Road 5's on my Kawi Concours 1400. Run them at 41/41. Much bigger and heavier so sort of gives you an idea of an upper limit on a smaller bike. Running the Dunlop Roadsmart 3's on Tracer GT right now and love them.

• 3 months later...

I commute on 50 miles of dead straight super slab, and for that task I pump up to 40/42. For fun riding on the twisties I set it at 33/36.

’70 Yamaha 125 Enduro; ’75 Honda CB360T; ’81 Yamaha XS650SH; ’82 Honda GL650 Silver Wing Interstate; ’82 Suzuki GS650L; ’87 Yamaha Virago 535; ’87 Yamaha FJ1200; ’96 Honda ST1100; ’99 Yamaha V-Star Classic; ’00 Suzuki SV650; ’07 BMW K1200GT; ’12 Suzuki DR200; ’15 Yamaha FJ-09.  Bold = current

On 4/6/2020 at 3:17 PM, RandyN said:

I run the Mich Road 5's on my Kawi Concours 1400. Run them at 41/41. Much bigger and heavier so sort of gives you an idea of an upper limit on a smaller bike. Running the Dunlop Roadsmart 3's on Tracer GT right now and love them.

There are Road 5's and Road 5 GT's. The GT's per Michelin are what is recommended on the Concours because of the weight. When I bought Michelins for my Concours last year the Road 5 GT's weren't available yet and Michelin recommended I use the Road 4 GT's because of the weight of the Concours. Different TP recommendations also 

On 6/13/2019 at 6:29 AM, nhchris said:

Thanks guys.

cb

They are noisier than the stock tires for sure.

I'll note: With Road 4's and 5's, my experience has been that you're much better served keeping the front higher pressure than lower.  The dual compound is excellent for getting high mileage and good cornering grip, but if you run the front tire at a lower pressure it likes to wear kind of badly, resulting in vibration when cornering. 

I used to use them in winter riding (before getting proper winters) and of course you run pressures lower there, but that meant every winter effectively ended a front tire even if it had good tread left.  

Just my experience with them, anyways.