Fitted a new basic YSS rear shock absorber, a better way ?

scaley

I recently fitted the YSS MZ456-330TRL-40X  ( no remote preload).

It was a quick fit so I'm not sure I used the easiest/best method of fitting it. Basically I jacked up the swinging arm to reveal the lower mount and fitted the shock, then relieved the swinging arm to fit the top mount. The reverse to removing the OEM shock. The trouble is I had to reduce the preload on the shock in order to fit the lower mount.  Due to the  preload rings being at the top of the shock they are not adjustable without removing the shock.

Luckily its not far off what I need, but am I better removing the dog bone links to make an easier shock extraction and refit ?

• Supporting Member
3 hours ago, scaley said:

I recently fitted the YSS MZ456-330TRL-40X  ( no remote preload).

It was a quick fit so I'm not sure I used the easiest/best method of fitting it. Basically I jacked up the swinging arm to reveal the lower mount and fitted the shock, then relieved the swinging arm to fit the top mount. The reverse to removing the OEM shock. The trouble is I had to reduce the preload on the shock in order to fit the lower mount.  Due to the  preload rings being at the top of the shock they are not adjustable without removing the shock.

Luckily its not far off what I need, but am I better removing the dog bone links to make an easier shock extraction and refit ?

I have found it much easier (with much more access) by removing the swingarm when removing/replacing the shock.  Once the wheel is removed and the linkage is disconnected, the swingarm comes off in minutes leaving the whole back half of the bike exposed for perfect access to the shock.  And most importantly, while you have it apart, grease the linkage and swingarm bearings!!!  They are in such a concealed location that they rarely get any attention.

• Thumbsup 2

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

@Betoney :  Thanks for the reply. I agree about the linkages. The dealership never serviced them on the FJR, always had to do them myself.

I'm really wanting a quick and dirty way of being able to set up the shock preload as the ring nuts are concealed by the frame. I can't even get to the grub screw.  Once I have it set , I can review it on a yearly swingarm service as you suggest.

• Supporting Member
7 hours ago, scaley said:

@Betoney :  Thanks for the reply. I agree about the linkages. The dealership never serviced them on the FJR, always had to do them myself.

I'm really wanting a quick and dirty way of being able to set up the shock preload as the ring nuts are concealed by the frame. I can't even get to the grub screw.  Once I have it set , I can review it on a yearly swingarm service as you suggest.

Having the preload ring on top of the shock is a poor design, extremely inconvenient.  

It seems that you may need to take measurements, remove the shock, make adjustments and then reinstall. Hopefully it doesn’t take too many tries to get the setting correct. 

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• 1 year later...

Thread resurrection:

So how did you find the YSS shock? Generally, YSS is a low budget manufacturer, some even say that their products are inferior to the OEM parts. I can't imagine a shock being worse than a OEM Tracer one😁