Just another day on CA freeways...

Ah yes, I remember my first freeze up. It was on the 101 on my CB400. Somebody should have told me!
I had a '76 CB400 when I got to California in '78. Then in 1980, I bought a 1976 CB750K. Blk, w/ gold and red pinstripes. Wore out Topanga Canyon, Mulholland, and Angeles Crest Hwy. Ah to be a teenager again....touching 60 now...... Mine was the Royal Blue 400. Wanted an RD400 but knew it wouldn't cruise from Louisiana to Cali being a 2-smoke.

Ain't no fun when the rabbit gets the gun!

• Supporting Member
A Freeze-Up! A Jam-Up!! Panic City!!! For all the cheesy early-80s TV cliches, I still enjoyed CHiPs, and absolutely remember this episode.

Having Bruce Penhall (World Speedway Champion & California golden boy) on the show added at least a little bit of moto-credibility to the effort. :)

• Premium Member
Wore out Topanga Canyon, Mulholland, and Angeles Crest Hwy.
I had a '78 CB400, which was the crappier parallel twin "Hawk," but it got me riding in 1989. I was in the Navy stationed at Point Mugu, so I could get up any morning and I had all those canyons at my doorstep. Lovely area and time to be on a motorcycle!

I like how he got it "out of gear" with one snick from freeway cruising speed. 
I thought they planned to hit the kill switch with it in gear and I was thinking "Wooooooooo, there's gonna be a heck of a wreck!"
You can hit the kill switch at speed. The tire doesn't lock up. There's enough momentum and leverage from the back wheel to keep the motor turning. It's not recommended of course. 

'15 FJ09

My first freeze up was back in 1982, I was on a XS 650, in Idaho, and the temperature plunged to below freezing in a manner of minutes. My fingers were so cold I wouldn't have been able to eat a jam up on warm toast.

’70 Yamaha 125 Enduro; ’75 Honda CB360T; ’81 Yamaha XS650SH; ’82 Honda GL650 Silver Wing Interstate; ’82 Suzuki GS650L; ’87 Yamaha Virago 535; ’87 Yamaha FJ1200; ’96 Honda ST1100; ’99 Yamaha V-Star Classic; ’00 Suzuki SV650; ’07 BMW K1200GT; ’12 Suzuki DR200; ’15 Yamaha FJ-09.  Bold = current

Archived