What level of work do you do on your bike?

When I had nothing but carports or street parking and dealers had lifelong employees that included at least one master mechanic it was all dealer. That worked well until the market around here shifted to big box dealers selling more sand and water toys than bikes in the 90s.

In 2002 when a dealer charged me for work they obviously did not perform and I'd coincidentally just moved into a place with a garage started buying shop manuals and good tools. At this point the only thing I haven't done is significant bottom end work. Luckily multiple bikes, including track bikes, haven't needed it. Well except for the Versys that had a bad balancer shaft from the factory but I did let a dealer do that since it was warranty work. Having some friends that can build their own engines and give advice in exchange for beer helped with my lack of experience in the beginning.

• Premium Member
I do it all. With a manual you have specs, with specs you know how the bike is built. With that said, my dad was a mechanic and i helped him in the garage for many years. I have the tools and the basic knowledge to pretty much do anything on the bike. Plus, I figure, if I Eff it up, I'll learn how to fix it by, well, fixing it.

I'd like to get more tech savvy with my bike but not having the proper tools is really holding me back. Any recommendations for a good set of tools that I'd need?
This is actually a great question.  Even better would be; what tools do we really need to work on our FJ or Tracer?  This question's answer would also help in what to carry as a tool kit.   
Go to this thread:  Necessary tools to work on your FJ or Tracer

Ken, Candy Ass L.D.R. Sleeps 8 hours
(2)2005 FJR1300abs:  230,000 m
2015 FJ-09:  114,000 m (Replaced engine at 106K)

Did my own engine swap. In case you're wondering why, my oil cooler failed and I lost all compression. Fresh 700 miles engine was £900. 

image.png

image.png

I like the "Flintstone Powered FJ-09s" ??
2012 wr250f - C-class 30+ age group
2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition-80whp
2015 fj-09- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich tune by 2WDW @120whp

There's nothing that I can't, or won't do on my bike. Honestly wish the thing would break down MORE often so I'd have something to do!

Maybe this winter I'll yank the engine and split the cases just for something to do. See if I can find some aftermarket pistons and punch it out. Or maybe polish and clean up the transmission dogs so they shift a bit more smoothly.

It's all just one big Lego set...

-Skip

• Supporting Member
image.png
I sent this picture to my friend who had helped me build several one-off hybrids...

His response: “It looks like we may have found someplace to put that RZ350 motor you have lying on the shelf.”

• 4 weeks later...

Archived