Any need to adjust valves early ? ?

jcg

Piotrek:

I was thinking about your reply "This would make the CP3 NOT a great engine. Hopefully Yamaha wasn't really meaning for people to be using shift points noted in the manual. :D"
to my Aug 23 comment regarding valve tightening.

I am about as mechanically savvy as (the former racehorse) Secretariat, so I may be way off base. But couldn't it be possible that the CP3 is a great engine that is simply tuned at manufacture with slightly tight valve tolerances? I love how it runs, so the reply won't really change anything; but I am curious if you think this is a "too tight at manufacture issue so pushing it can cause minor issues early" or it is a design flaw?

My memory, and I only started riding 10 years go, is that sportier bikes like R1's, R6's, CBR's etc. all seemed to have a tendency towards earlier than anticipated valve adjustments simply because they rev'd high and were often ridden a bit aggressively?

Just curious as to your thoughts as you obviously know a lot more than I do.

IMG_1299-1.jpg

They know there are issues with the CP3 engine at Yamaha. I actually rode my replacement bike (Suzuki V Strom 1000) to their HQ from Eastern Pennsylvania and met with someone there lol. I owe you all a follow up post about that. I'm sorry I haven't gotten to it sooner. It has been incredibly busy this summer.

They know there are issues with the CP3 engine at Yamaha. I actually rode my replacement bike (Suzuki V Strom 1000) to their HQ from Eastern Pennsylvania and met with someone there lol. I owe you all a follow up post about that. I'm sorry I haven't gotten to it sooner. It has been incredibly busy this summer.
If you've got facts post them. Otherwise it's all just heresay.

CS

CS
And it's people that give me a hard time like this that make me not even want to type it out.  I actually just dreamed up the whole thing where my Yamaha blew up @38,000 miles and I rode a Suzuki V Strom 1000 to California. 
I came here to share information about an engine failure and issue that I was told is known by Yamaha (by a number of different sources within Yamaha and outside of). I feel like it's been a waste of time trying to share it on here, TBH... probably the real reason why I felt there was no need to rush on here and post about the whole experience.

CS
Vinnie has documented his story quite well and is entitled to share his experience. He's presented his story (in another thread) professionally and calmly. No matter what the actual cause was, no matter what Yamaha has said to him, at the end of the day his CP3 ate itself. It's perfectly reasonable to be upset about that. It's also appropriate and relevant information for this forum. 

'15 FJ09

CS
And it's people that give me a hard time like this that make me not even want to type it out.  I actually just dreamed up the whole thing where my Yamaha blew up @38,000 miles and I rode a Suzuki V Strom 1000 to California. 
I came here to share information about an engine failure and issue that I was told is known by Yamaha (by a number of different sources within Yamaha and outside of). I feel like it's been a waste of time trying to share it on here, TBH... probably the real reason why I felt there was no need to rush on here and post about the whole experience.

Please do. If nobody shared their negative experiences we wouldn't have any information. Yours certainly doesn't seem an isolated case either and any information we can get to try and keep our bikes running smoothly would be greatly appreciated.

CS

Dude, I am honestly surprised (and glad) you came back. I’ve never seen so many people so opposed to hearing about a potential problem with something they’ve spent a lot of money on.

• Premium Member
I still would like to see the letter you got from Yamaha. Also I’m still curious as to why the combustion chambers in the pics you posted were so obviously different.

Let’s go Brandon

Vinnie:

Personally, I think riding is a personal experience.  I truly, truly enjoy the FJ09.  But I can't say I really like it more than I did my VStrom.  Which is the only bike I have ever owned that I miss. 

My Honda ST1100 was buttery smooth and compliant beyond belief.   But, for me, about as exciting as grinding burrs off of and iron bar.  Durable and trouble free for me.  

My Honda ST1300, I know was supposed to be a better bike in every way.  Never could bond with it.  Don't even remotely miss it. 

My Yamaha FJR1300.  Was fast, fun, exiting ... but also a heavy beast (like the other two above) and hard on my parts ... most my knee.  While it was a lot of things through about 84,000 miles +/-;  I don't miss it all. 

My Suzuki VStrom (I had the 650).  Was initially simply the most competent bike I ever owned.   Would do everything the other 3 would do and more.  But as time wore on and I started pushing it harder and harder, and like the ST1100 and FJR riding it all over the country I really began to appreciate how rock solid reliable and durable it was.  As well as a tremendous joy to ride.  So much more fun to make small bike go fast than a big one.   I hope to get the reliability and fun out of the of FJ I got out of my Wee.   And it is the only bike I truly miss and often wish I hadn't sold.  

So I like others like to know what the issues are.  I love this bike and if I can get the near 100,000 trouble free miles out of my FJ that I got out of my Suzuki I'll be in heaven.  so please let us know what you find out.  If there is anything I learned owning my company for almost 30 years is that:  "an ounce of prevention/preparedness is worth endless pounds of cure and correction.    But I think you made the right choice.  That Vstrom is a blast.  And if my FJ096 proves problematical ..... well, I can sure see me on a Vstrom again.  

Enjoy and please keep us informed on what those problems were.  I did the valves early.  If there is something else that is a real weak point ... I would rather fix it now before it becomes a big problem.

Thanks again.

I never claimed that you dreamed anything up as you well know.  Like others I appreciate you sharing the problem you had with your engine.  As I stated in your thread on this matter what I'm unsure about is how much this is a "known issue within Yamaha" as you persist in saying.  From what I can determine from your own posts you heard through a friend who knows a "higher up" at Yamaha in the US that they may have had an issue with a valve guides supplier.  This is not what I call devastating first hand evidence. 

Dude, I am honestly surprised (and glad) you came back. I’ve never seen so many people so opposed to hearing about a potential problem with something they’ve spent a lot of money on.
People are not opposed to hearing about a problem.  They are quite rightly posing their own questions and opinions based on their own body of evidence which, to many in the original thread, would not appear to support Vinnie's insistence that this is a known and widespread problem. 
CS

• Premium Member
I guess I'm mostly interested in knowing if this is an isolated issue that impacts a small number of bikes, or more widespread.

I certainly feel for Vinnie, and I wish Yamaha would take better care of him. If his is the only bike that experiences this, the rest of us can calm down. If it turns into a bigger issue, and Yamaha doesn't issue a recall, that's when I might get upset. How many of these issues have we heard about so far? For me, this is the only one I can remember.

Archived