Evaporative Cooling Vest - Pro's or Con's??

betoney

• Premium Member
On ‎3‎/‎8‎/‎2019 at 3:59 PM, new1709rider said:

Just checked out the Brosh summer jacket, and like so many vented or mesh jackets it's only offered in black. … Sunlight on a black jacket gets hot fast under those conditions. Seems like it would be much better to have a white or light colored jacket for summer riding.

I saw other color combinations on the Brosh site. All of their "Optimal" jackets contain black but are not all black. They have red & black, gray and black, yellow and black. I am wondering if the red & black is a decent match to my red & black FJ-09.

Regarding the evaporative cooling vest, I found that they don't work well with a non-vented jacket. Without air flow, mine heated up in 30 minutes and then it felt like a hot water bottle. I expect that it works better with a mesh jacket.

2015 red FJ-09: Cal Sci screen, Sargent seat, ECU flash, slider combo, cruise, Rizoma bars, Matts forks, JRi shock, slipper clutch

I commute in the Northern Sacramento Valley, so I regularly ride triple digits. I've ditched the cooling vests for a variety of reasons. I now wear very tight compression long sleeve shirt and pants under my vented gear. I drink drink drink lots of water, hit the road, warm up, and start sweating. The tight fitting clothes immediately wicks away the sweat and you get transpiration cooling.  

Even the cheap stuff works well, no need to spend a fortune (though the good stuff does last longer).  Something like this and the accompanying pants will do the job just fine. 

BTW, I've ridden like this from NorCal to Yellowstone, in a single day through the Great Basin, where I had 10+ hours of 110-115 degrees and I did just fine. Just need to find the right amount of air going through your jacket/pants so that you don't overdry your body.

Oh, and drink, drink, drink. Lots of water and gatorade. You need to sweat like Ted Striker landing a plane.  

sedici_long_sleeve_compression_shirt_bla
WWW.CYCLEGEAR.COM

Base layers designed to elevate your ride. Not just close, Sedici Close.

’70 Yamaha 125 Enduro; ’75 Honda CB360T; ’81 Yamaha XS650SH; ’82 Honda GL650 Silver Wing Interstate; ’82 Suzuki GS650L; ’87 Yamaha Virago 535; ’87 Yamaha FJ1200; ’96 Honda ST1100; ’99 Yamaha V-Star Classic; ’00 Suzuki SV650; ’07 BMW K1200GT; ’12 Suzuki DR200; ’15 Yamaha FJ-09.  Bold = current

• 2 months later...
On 3/9/2019 at 12:52 AM, Cruizin said:

I have this one by Rev"it and it has outperformed all the others that I have bought before. 

revit_liquid_cooling_vest_black.jpg
WWW.REVZILLA.COM

The difference between ‘air-cooled’ and ‘liquid-cooled’ - but for your body. The REV’IT! Liquid Cooling Vest is a drastic hot weather comfort upgrade.

Thanks for the lead. Will give it a try.

Archived