Your Previous Ride?

2012 - Yamaha fz 16 (150cc)
2013 - Yamaha Tenere xt660z
2017 - Yamaha FJ-09 2016
2017 - Honda 300 XRE

The fz16 was my school bike, on learning how to ride. There I found that I loved on road and off road, so I switched to the Tenere. Enjoyed the bike for 4 years... Later I found that I wanted more power on road, and lighter mountain bike. Tenere's off road weight caused an accident .. Sold it and got the Honda (just 150 kgms) and the FJ09.
I use the FJ-09 for high way, weekend routes or long distances. The Honda xre for city commute, off road and mountain. Love both of them.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Premium Member
Speaking of unusual bikes, I also had a 1974 Suzuki TC 125 with a dual-range transmission (4 low and 4 high gears). In the picture, the v-shaped lever on top of the crankcase was how you changed the range; kick it forward for low and back for high if I remember correctly. In low range, the bike could climb a tree but couldn't go very fast. Fortunately you could change the range on the fly so I was able to beat much faster bikes just because of the insane pickup in low range. Ah memories. 

TC125.jpg

At least you had 4 gears in each range!  :^)   I had the '69 Suzuki TC-120 (in glorious Mesa Orange) which had the same high/low range setup, but with only 3 gears in each range.  Made a good back road commuter, and was fun bouncing around off-road on power line right-of-ways.  Kept it for a year then upgraded to the Suzuki 350 (actually only 315cc plus marketing inflation :^).

73 XL175
79 GSE 550
81 CB 750C
81 CB 900C
83 V65 Magna
79 CMT 400
85 Rebel
87 Virgo 535
2001 Concours
2001 V-Star 650 Classic
2001 Star 1100 Classic
2004 SV650
2014 Versys 650
2016 FJ09

Everything is simple, Nothing is easy

• 2 weeks later...
yamaha xj6 diversion 2009 abs version. great starting bike but ergos were just too poor for me (6"2 91kg). cheap in europe - not a popular model in Belgium.
I had an XJS 900 Diversion for a short time way back.   It was a kinda-BMW, shaft-drive and all that, but affordable.   Never had any issues with it, nor did it press many buttons, except that the seat was g-h-a-s-t-l-y - by comparison the MT/ FJ-09 Tracer seat is a magic carpet ride!

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

I just sold a 2003 ST 1300 and replaced it with a 2016 FJ.

While I am still getting used to the FJ, I must say it is not nearly the touring bike the ST was. There is no way I'd take the FJ on a cross country trip of 3,000 miles.

I've added  taller windshield and supplemented the "comfort" seat with an Airhawk pad.  But...

I find the FJ noise (chain, airbox howl, wind turbulence, etc.) and stiff ride fatiguing.

It sure is fun to throw around in the twisties, however, and I don't miss the addl 300 pounds the ST brought to the party.

For me the FJ represents a trade off: convenience versus comfort.   Ya just can't have it ALL!

st2.jpg
1968 Triumph Bonneville 650
1971 Norton Commando Roadster
2002 Harley 1200 Sportster
2003 Honda ST 1300
2016 FJ 09

While I am still getting used to the FJ, I must say it is not nearly the touring bike the ST was. There is no way I'd take the FJ on a cross country trip of 3,000 miles.

Maybe you shoulda kept the ST, chris, to have the best of both worlds!   The ST was/ is an out-and-out touring bike of course: FJ 90% sport, 10% touring IMHO (and that's being generous), but its suitability for distance touring can be enhanced greatly with a few mods and additions.   But it will never do what the ST can, and vice versa of course.   First off - get a decent seat...

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

• Premium Member

I've added  taller windshield and supplemented the "comfort" seat with an Airhawk pad.  But...

I find the FJ noise (chain, airbox howl, wind turbulence, etc.) and stiff ride fatiguing.

It sure is fun to throw around in the twisties, however, and I don't miss the addl 300 pounds the ST brought to the party.

For me the FJ represents a trade off: convenience versus comfort.   Ya just can't have it ALL!

st2.jpg

With just a few bucks you can make the FJ a 3000 mile trekker. All windshields are different, with different properties as far noise and air movement go. I am 6'4" with a 32" inseam and use a Madstad 22". I love it! The same goes for saddles. I use a Corbin. It takes a while to break it in, and the results are worth it. I installed Traxxion Dynamics AK-20s' on the front, combined with their Penske double clicker on the rear. The bike tracks like it is on rails, a new bike! I shot for low weight luggage like the SW-MOTECH EVO 2.0 Engage QUICK-LOCK Tank Bag | 7L, SW-MOTECH Blaze Sport Saddlebag System, and the Ventura-MCA Mistral I system. Those 5 bags have a combined 98 liters capacity, and my challenge to myself is if you can't get packed using just short of 100 liters, you might as well stay home. Did a 2000 mile trip and it worked just fine. Plus I had a blast in the mountains in Colorado even loaded. no camping obviously....i'm to old to be sleeping on the ground. A "must" is a cpu flash from 2wheeldynoworks. Once again, a new motorcycle! With just a few tweaks, this is a very competent, comfortable sport touring bike. 

1973 Honda 350 Four (Purchased new in spring 1975 Parry Sound Ontario)

1980 Honda CB 400 (Purchased in Oromocto New Brunswick)

1981 Suzuki 185 (Purchased in Oromocto New brunswick)

1981 Yamaha 650 Special (Purchased in Oromocto New brunswick and Crashed on Freeway in Montreal spring 1985)

1985 - 2017 No Bikes

2017 Kawasaki KLR 650 (Purchased in Peterborough, Ontario)

2016 Yamaha FJ-09 (Purchased New Spring 2017 - Petawawa, Ontario)

• 2 weeks later...
1980 Honda XL250
1983 Yamaha RD250LCH
1985 Honda CBX550
Wiped out by a car and then took a looong break.
2002 Honda CB250
1997 Moto Guzzi Sport 1100
Now the mighty 2015 MT-09 Tracer 900 (FJ-09)

• Premium Member
- 1972 Yamaha U7E
- A summer spent on a friends Ninja 150 250.
- 2007 KLR650
- 2015 Street Triple R: I only got 31 days on this one and I miss it. I think one month was long enough to fall in love and not long enough to notice any imperfections. I'll probably get a Street Triple RS at some point, or certainly an RT if they ever come out with one.
- 2015 FJ-09: It does commuting wonderfully and has attitude in the mountains. I wish I could make the riding position more aggressive.

• Premium Member
- 2015 FJ-09: It does commuting wonderfully and has attitude in the mountains. I wish I could make the riding position more aggressive.
I've thought about this, but not actually done anything.

Things I have thought about doing that wouldn't cost any money:

- rotating the handlebars down a little bit (clearance between bars and tank might be the limiting factor)
- flipping the handlebar bracket to the "forward" position to increase reach
- lowering the bike in the front triple-tree by half an inch (this would help keep the nose down too)

Archived