• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 14 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

How often to clean and lube chain?

do what you're comfortable with, it'll make very little difference but if you think you're doing a good job it'll probably make you feel good.

the pins are sealed, no need to worry about them, anything you do is only effecting the rollers contact with the sprocket.

if you over lube you'll have to clean the bike a bit more, if you under lube you'll hear a bit of noise as the dry outside surface of the rollers move the sprockets

20,000 km's and I've given it a light spray three times and the dealer has over tightened and lubed it a few times too.

it still looks fine, don't over think it

my history is mostly with dirt bikes, the above is from my experience.

I'm old enough to have been cleaning and looking after chains since before O ring chains, that was different, maintenance was critical back then, not now 

• Premium Member
When I'm home I lube it when I think about it. Clean it when it's dirty enough to bother me.
When I'm on a trip I do it when I have time or energy or an inconspicuous place to do it. And sometimes not at all.
Chains are a "consumable" like brake pads, tires/tyres, oil.
I follow the epic rides over on ADVRider. It's been a while, but I followed a trip where a guy on a chain drive BMW or maybe it was a Tiger rode from SW USA (New Mexico I think) to Prudhoe Bay and back. Somewhere between 8,000 10,000 miles of some of the worst road conditions anywhere. The only maintenance performed on the chain was when he had tires/tyres replaced somewhere in the middle of the trip. The entire rest of the trip he never adjusted, cleaned or lubed it.
The chain lasted the whole trip. Sure it was toast at the end, but what the h*ll. Nothing happened, it didn't break, the earth continued to spin. Throw some love at it. New chain and sprockets. It just carried you on the trip of a lifetime.

"It doesn't matter who walks in, you know the joke is still the same"  Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. USA

• 3 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

As my last two bikes were belt drive I don't have a ton of wisdom to add to this discussion, however, since I just finished replacing the OE chain @12k miles with an EK 525 MVXZ2 Quadra-X Ring gold chain - I thought to share the instructions from the chain manufacturer.

Maintenance: Lubricate chain every 300 to 350 miles (480-560km) with a quality lubricant such as SAE 80-90 wt. motor oil or aerosol lubricant designed specifically for motorcycle chains. When operating in hot, dry and/or dusty conditions, you may need to lubricate more frequently. Apply a moderate amount so lubricant penetrates between pins, rollers and bushings.

Cleaning: Do not use harsh solvents or chemicals, such as gasoline or benzene. EK recommends using a biodegradable degreaser with a soft (non-wire) bristle brush or clean cloth for removing dirt. Use kerosene (paraffin oil) if necessary, let dry and lubricate immediately within 10 minutes.

I had been using kerosene and chain wax for maintenance on the OE chain, but will start using the Maxima Synthetic Ultimate Chain Care Kit from here on out and see how it goes.

please do not use any brushes on sealed chains... my stock chain on my FZ-07 is pushing 18k miles, same chain size on fj-09... never cleaned it, just wiped it down when the wax coating on the outside links got thick... once a week I tend to give the chain a quick light spray with wax... usually every couple months I will scrape the build up of wax on the sprockets...

I keep chain lube only for non sealed chains used on dirt bikes as it gets inside the rollers and the wax will help seal the lube... these chains get a bath/scrub in mineral spirits after riding for the day then dried out, lubed and sealed in wax...
2012 wr250f - C-class 30+ age group
2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition-80whp
2015 fj-09- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich tune by 2WDW @120whp

please do not use any brushes on sealed chains... my stock chain on my FZ-07 is pushing 18k miles, same chain size on fj-09... never cleaned it, just wiped it down when the wax coating on the outside links got thick... once a week I tend to give the chain a quick light spray with wax... usually every couple months I will scrape the build up of wax on the sprockets...  
I keep chain lube only for non sealed chains used on dirt bikes as it gets inside the rollers and the wax will help seal the lube... these chains get a bath/scrub in mineral spirits after riding for the day then dried out, lubed and sealed in wax...
I by no means want to start a chain cleaning argument.  However, DID themselves recommend using a brush for cleaning a chain.  Now, don't use a hard bristled or metal brush, but soft bristled brushes will not harm the o-rings.

DID

I by no means want to start a chain cleaning argument.  However, DID themselves recommend using a brush for cleaning a chain.  Now, don't use a hard bristled or metal brush, but soft bristled brushes will not harm the o-rings. 

DID
Would you consider grunge brushes "soft bristle"? They are plastic bristle's but are rather firm.

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

Archived