Looking to purchase tomorrow!

Poolesville MD....I take River Rd. Down to the Clara Barton and on to independence....it's a pretty easy drive, just long. Mostly, I pay $300/mo to park, or I can park the bike for $60/year...you read that right.. hence the change. Figured I would divert that 300/mo to my hobby instead of ground rent.

Looked at some rev-it gear and tried helmets on today. Scheuberth c3 pro was a maybe, but the arai cignet x fit me really well. The dealer want 675 for it, so I'll have to look around.

• Supporting Member
Otherwise, on to commuting geat...new helmet/gloves/jacket/pants and boots for me...what's your favorite brands?
DO NOT buy a helmet based on sale price.  Get your head measured and buy it based on helmet shape.  The guys at Cycle Gear are usually pretty good at gauging brand based on head shape.  
My previous helmet was a Scorpion and after about an hour my forehead had a bright red spot from the shape of the helmet (I have a longer oval shaped head).  I swapped to a Shoei GT Air and can now ride 10-12 hour days with no discomfort.  Buying a brand based on your head shape is key. 

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Premium Member
My 2 cents on riding gear...

Don't cut corners. I see people dropping $10k, $15k, even more on a new motorbike, then skimp out of decent gear for completely unknown reasons. I have never understood this. 

I'm an ATGATT guy. Wasn't always (ahh, youth) but the older I get, the longer it takes to heal, and frankly, I would prefer to wipe my own ass than to need someone to do it for me because I made poor decisions to protect myself.

Top to Bottom:

Find a good quality helmet that fits your noggin. DOT approved, I like a Snell rating too.

Jacket, with good CE-approved armor and a decent back protector.

Pants, same as jacket. Armor, skid protection. Jeans are NOT as good as people think. Denim literally disintegrates when it touches pavement at 60mph. 

Gloves, full-gauntlet, high-quality gloves. No substitute. See notes above regarding wiping of one's own ass. ;)

Boots - Get anything that provides good ankle protection. I personally avoid lace-ups because laces get tangled on things.

Good gear can save your life. It's a personal decision for everyone, as to what level they choose. I don't look down on people that don't wear good gear. They make their choices. They live with it. Me, I like to mitigate the odds in my favor. YMMV.

Congrats on the bike. :)
2015 Stealth Grey FJ-09 Pilot
Base of Operations: Chesterfield, VA
Farkels? Lots, nothing flashy, but all functional...

• Premium Member
@rtaylor522 I'm at Reston TC almost every day if you want to try a ride on an FJ. ~260lb; couple of small adjustments on front and back stock suspension works for my daily commute. I do need to adjust more if I ride 2 up.
Check out ebay for new gear, I'm happy with the Icon raiden line, good quality and affordable (also helmets; got a brand new Arai Signet-Q for ~280.)

Thanks for all the replies! I really fit in the Arai Signet-x well, but that sticker shock! How did you get a new one for 280? Where are the deals at?

Although I was shocked by the cost of the Arai, I'll buy at full ticket if I need to...

I'm excited to get back in, and yes I plan on being fully suited because I do have 3 people depending on me beside myself, and there is plenty of fear from the wife with me getting back on!

Keep the replies coming as I'm going to burn up my credit card soon.

My 2 cents on riding gear... 
Don't cut corners. I see people dropping $10k, $15k, even more on a new motorbike, then skimp out of decent gear for completely unknown reasons. I have never understood this. 

I'm an ATGATT guy. Wasn't always (ahh, youth) but the older I get, the longer it takes to heal, and frankly, I would prefer to wipe my own ass than to need someone to do it for me because I made poor decisions to protect myself.

Top to Bottom:

Find a good quality helmet that fits your noggin. DOT approved, I like a Snell rating too.

Jacket, with good CE-approved armor and a decent back protector.

Pants, same as jacket. Armor, skid protection. Jeans are NOT as good as people think. Denim literally disintegrates when it touches pavement at 60mph. 

Gloves, full-gauntlet, high-quality gloves. No substitute. See notes above regarding wiping of one's own ass. wink.png

Boots - Get anything that provides good ankle protection. I personally avoid lace-ups because laces get tangled on things.

Good gear can save your life. It's a personal decision for everyone, as to what level they choose. I don't look down on people that don't wear good gear. They make their choices. They live with it. Me, I like to mitigate the odds in my favor. YMMV.

Congrats on the bike. smiley.png
All x 1000, espesh the highlighted line.

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

Poolesville MD....I take River Rd. Down to the Clara Barton and on to independence....it's a pretty easy drive, just long. Mostly, I pay $300/mo to park, or I can park the bike for $60/year...you read that right.. hence the change. Figured I would divert that 300/mo to my hobby instead of ground rent. 
Looked at some rev-it gear and tried helmets on today. Scheuberth c3 pro was a maybe, but the arai cignet x fit me really well. The dealer want 675 for it, so I'll have to look around.

I have a Nolan N104 helmet. It is low noise, light weight, and does good with wind over the top of it. Got for $260 on ebay.

Archived