What do You Think? Fuel Economy

• Premium Member
It's about time those two countries joined the rest of the world with metric measurements.
2_countries.jpg

"It doesn't matter who walks in, you know the joke is still the same"  Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. USA

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Being in  Australia  the rest of the world, my dash is set to Litres/100km. It's usually about 5 litres to 100 km, (with Givi barn door in std mode) which according to this website,
https://www.unitjuggler.com/convert-fuelconsumption-from-lper100km-to-kmpergaluk.html?val=5
is 56 GB MPG or 47 US MPG
or 75 km/US gallon or 90 km/GB gallon

It's about time those two countries joined the rest of the world with metric measurements.

Funny you bring this up.  I figured this out over 40 years ago, maybe even more.  I gave up on trying to figure out why it is taking so long, but can understand that some have a hard time changing the status quo.  Maybe next year?

Ken, Candy Ass L.D.R. Sleeps 8 hours
(2)2005 FJR1300abs:  230,000 m
2015 FJ-09:  114,000 m (Replaced engine at 106K)

• Premium Member
Being in  Australia  the rest of the world, my dash is set to Litres/100km. It's usually about 5 litres to 100 km, (with Givi barn door in std mode) which according to this website,
https://www.unitjuggler.com/convert-fuelconsumption-from-lper100km-to-kmpergaluk.html?val=5
is 56 GB MPG or 47 US MPG
or 75 km/US gallon or 90 km/GB gallon

No thanks. The reason most folks came here is because they didn’t want to be like the rest of the world......

Let’s go Brandon

• Premium Member
"and then were converted to feet and ft/sec."

Converted to the superior system? :)

"It doesn't matter who walks in, you know the joke is still the same"  Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. USA

• Premium Member
Robert Frost's comment that nautical miles are a widely-used international unit (accepted for use with SI units) is true but tells only half the story. At the time of the Apollo missions, aerospace engineering in the US did still primarily use customary (i.e. British/Imperial) units rather than metric. This was especially true at the operational level, especially amongst astronauts.

For example, the Apollo Guidance Computer displayed data in customary units (though it was stored in metric); see Apollo 11 and Other Screw-Ups for example. The Apollo 15 Mission Report uses customary units too, for example measuring energy in inch-pounds.

NASA has ostensibly started using the metric system since about 1990, though much of the rest of the aerospace industry continued to use customary units for a while longer. The Mars Climate Orbiter was lost due to ground software, written by Lockheed Martin rather than NASA, that produced results in customary rather than metric units

• Supporting Member
...with the exception of this last tank which for some unknown reason was gone in 75 miles.
That’s called ‘marginally responsible but hugely entertaining behavior’ here in the USA.

I believe it’s called ‘illegal’ in the metric parts of the world...

That’s called ‘marginally responsible but hugely entertaining behavior’ here in the USA.
It’s called “I may have been slightly over the speed limit for a brief time officer, but I was only ensuring I returned to my lane as quickly as possible to minimise the danger I was exposed to” here in the UK. It worked for me last time anyway.

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

I get around 180 miles before I need to start looking for a Petrol station. I don’t care what that translates into in mpg but the speedo ireads about 7% high so amaybe the odometer and fuel consumption calcs are similarly optimistic. Anyway, for what it’s worth the trip computer says about 60mpg but that’s running in.

• Premium Member
I'm a big guy at least 2:55 with gear I run the GV barn-door turning Shield plus the MRA spoiler on top the KTM handguards and I seem to average about 70 to 80 miles an hour my mileage reflects that at 38 to 39 miles per gallon if I take it easy the best I get as maybe 42 I think it's the ethanol gas and my wrist primarily that is responsible for the abysmal gas mileage.
Does someone who is knowledgeable concur with the causes of my poor gas mileage.?

• Premium Member
Does someone who is knowledgeable concur with the causes of my poor gas mileage.?
Not sure I count as someone knowledgeable, but your figures look similar to what I see. I'm about the same size as you and I also have a gigantic windscreen (Nat'l Cycle).

My commute is 12 miles, with about 3 miles of city and 9 miles on a highway averaging 50-60mph. I average 43-44mpg in the summer, 42-43mpg in the winter. I blame the seasonal difference on having my electrics cranked (heavier alternator load).

On the rare occasion where I ride at 70-75mph for long distances, yes my fuel economy drops below 40mpg.

• Premium Member
Not sure I count as someone knowledgeable, but your figures look similar to what I see. I'm about the same size as you and I also have a gigantic windscreen (Nat'l Cycle).  
My commute is 12 miles, with about 3 miles of city and 9 miles on a highway averaging 50-60mph. I average 43-44mpg in the summer, 42-43mpg in the winter. I blame the seasonal difference on having my electrics cranked (heavier alternator load).

On the rare occasion where I ride at 70-75mph for long distances, yes my fuel economy drops below 40mpg.

I’m about 290 geared up and when I go on cross country trips with soft saddle bags, a tail bag, and a tank bag I regularly run 70+ for miles and miles I still average around 50mpg.

Let’s go Brandon

Archived