Off-Season Projects - Winter 2017/18

• Supporting Member

Installed the Powerlet socket (PSO-007) on rear-right trim panel (mirror opposite side has the seat lock on there). Used a rubber spacer (PMI-008) to reduce depth on the inside of the panel. Terrible space to work with, but doable. One other outlet will go where 3banger installed his, here. Got a bunch of plugs and will be converting cords (jacket, pump etc.) to use the Powerlet system.

powerlet1.jpg

canada.gif.22c5f8bdb95643b878d06c336f5fe29f.gif

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Looking good @piotrek. What made you go for powerlet connectors instead of SAE type? Just curious about your thought processes as my battery tender connector is SAE and I’m planning on putting an SAE external connector on my new SH23 side case so I can charge my phone inside. It’s not too late for me to change my mind if there’s a compelling reason.

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

I went for this connector for the side case
https://www.amazon.com/OptiMATE-CABLE-Weatherproof-socket-front/dp/B0031BOTFC

and will run an SAE cable from under the seat to that connector, then an SAE to micro USB 5V converter to my phone. That’s the plan for after xmas anyway.

Where on the SH23 are you planning to install the thing?
I need to mock it all up on the bike, but Santa still hasn’t let me play with them yet. [Always better to buy whatever you really want for xmas and then let the wife “give” them to me]. 
I was thinking high on the front of the case: on the front to avoid rubbish from the rear tyre; and high to make it easy to plug in the phone when the cases are packed. I accept that that means the connector is being driven into rain on wet days, but the connection where they join has a sleeve that pulls over the joint and if it were to be biblically torrential I would just disconnect until better weather.

• 4 weeks later...
The FJ is getting: Corbin seat. I bought that purple one, going to try and die the leather.
ECU Flash
ZX10R rear shock
New clutch cable
Handle bar recall

The GSXR is getting / got:
Valve check (valves were in spec, yay!)
Spark Plugs
New exhaust hanger
Fix front wheel fender (it cracked somehow?)
Whatever other money I have to throw at it

I'm making progress, how about you guys?

'15 FJ09

• Supporting Member
Finally starting to look like there is a motorcycle in my garage. I was going to install just the steering set, forks and the front wheel (with new RS3)... but decided I'd also do the air box and the tank. Even fitted one new SH23 side case just for kicks. A bit of wiring left to do and then it's pretty much just assembly. I can see the light. Mulling over a new seat.

Couple of shots... this morning, and advanced a bit.

before.jpgafter.jpg

• Premium Member
Piotrek, what kind of radiator guard do you have?
Just something inexpensive off eBay. Didn't care for logos etc... something like this. Fit is pretty good.
Make sure there is cushion tape between the radiator guard and radiator. My R&G came with it. I've seen guys online report that the vibration will wear a hole in the radiator.
Piedmont of NC
'15 FJ-09
'94 GTS-1000

• Supporting Member
Lats thing to do electrically... replace the lighter type socket with a Powerlet type (Amazon). OD of the threaded part of the housing was just a tad too large, so had to enlarge the opening by ~1mm overall. Now I can actually use the thing.

sockets.png powerlet_open.png

Installed the SW-Motech skid plate today!
Looks great ?? Here’s hoping you’ll never be in a position where it’s needed. 
I remember when mine looked as clean as that. They go much duller looking from road salt so I plan to take it off and give it a good clean when spring arrives. There’s no point now as it gets filthy on every ride.

Archived