I heard something today about the Yamaha Niken

Sorry to say, but it'll end up being a dud. Pricing will no doubt be the limiting factor for Mama Yama on sales, not a lot of riders out there that are willing to shell out an exorbitant amount of dough for a freakshow concept that has a very love-it-or-hate-it appearance. (Bimota Tesi 3D anyone?) 
I'd ride the hell out of it... and thrash it for all I'm worth... but ownership? Nah, I'll stick with my FJ-09, thanks. smiley.png
Do you know something nobody else does?  Niken price hasn't been announced yet - should be out in a few days (Nov. 6 at EICMA show).  Considering Yamaha's pricing of the FZ/MT  family so far,  I'm expecting the Niken to be something of a bargain in the three wheeler market (where prices start at  $17K and go up quickly). 

From a manufacturing perspective, there's no reason of the price to be exorbitant - an extra set of forks and wheel aren't all that costly. Beefing up the frame head stock isn't a big deal either.  Cruise control is included at no extra cost on most cars,  so I'm guessing at the manufacturer level it's only a few extra dollars.  

As for being a sales dud, maybe in the U.S.  but probably not in England and Europe.  Responses to the (unscientific) MCN on-line poll question: Would you buy one?, 47% of those who responded said yes.  These were largely Euro riders, who are a lot less hidebound than Americans). http://www.motorcyclenews.com/news/new-bikes/2017/october/yamaha-2018-mwt-9-niken-trike-three-wheeler/  

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Premium Member
I'd be very surprised if the pricing was as low as $17k... I'm just guessing here, but would imagine it'll be over $20k, probably closer to $24-25k. Only time will tell.
2015 Stealth Grey FJ-09 Pilot
Base of Operations: Chesterfield, VA
Farkels? Lots, nothing flashy, but all functional...

If Yamaha throws that out for less than 12k OTD, and it works as good as the stock FJ09?

I'd be really interested in trading my FJ for the Trike with the Tripple. ;)

Even better if Yamaha takes the CP3 engine, bores it out, and strokes it for a total of 1100cc's lowers the peak RPM limit to 10k but has a new even better lower/mid range power curve that folks in traffic and 90% of the twisty riding at 8/10's can use every day.

Might not be a track burner, but for daily rides to work? Throw factory side bags on there, a taller screen, and dang, that's a nice bike to park in the motorcycle only slots at work. ;)

Might even pull a trike wheelie. :)

Please have Cruise Control factory however Yamaha. PLEASE!

I'd be really interested in trading my FJ for the Trike with the Trippple. wink.png 

FTFY. 
smiley.png
Que?   :-/

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

I'd like Yamaha to stay in business, so if the three-wheeler is important in that regard, I want Yamaha to sell a bunch. On the other hand, I think it's a design exercise, maybe a step along the way toward an autonymous motorcycle. There is no way I'd consider purchasing something like the Niken -- the simplicity of a two-wheeler is what has always spoken to me.

Having said that, I wonder what happened to Yamaha's 2-Trac front wheel drive technology.

-- Joe

Yamaha is announcing it's new models at 12 noon PAcific Time. We have a link to the video stream on our Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/YamahaFJ09Forums/
I missed the video but found the first definitive information on the Niken; posted by Motorcycle.com here: http://www.motorcycle.com/manufacturer/yamaha/yamaha-niken-leaning-multi-wheeler-coming-to-us-as-2019-model.html   No price has been announced but from the features list (electronic cruise control, quick shifter, traction control, fully adjustable front suspension and more) and the many costly and specialized Niken component parts, it wont be cheap.  
Cruizin, not trying to tell you your business, but I think there's a need now for a Niken forum.  Discussions on whether any of us like it, would ride it to a dog fight, consider it fugly, love it/hate it are entertaining, but pointless.  The decisions to manufacturer and bring Niken to market just the way it is, have been taken.   It's time to move on...

Bill

I'd be very surprised if the pricing was as low as $17k... I'm just guessing here, but would imagine it'll be over $20k, probably closer to $24-25k. Only time will tell.
No way - no how.  The $24-25k range is low range Spyder territory.  Yamaha will keep this in the $14-15k range and it will hit showrooms next summer.  I will be in line to trade in my FJ for one. 

If Yamaha throws that out for less than 12k OTD, and it works as good as the stock FJ09?  
I'd be really interested in trading my FJ for the Trike with the Tripple. wink.png

Even better if Yamaha takes the CP3 engine, bores it out, and strokes it for a total of 1100cc's lowers the peak RPM limit to 10k but has a new even better lower/mid range power curve that folks in traffic and 90% of the twisty riding at 8/10's can use every day.

Might not be a track burner, but for daily rides to work? Throw factory side bags on there, a taller screen, and dang, that's a nice bike to park in the motorcycle only slots at work. wink.png

Might even pull a trike wheelie. smiley.png

Please have Cruise Control factory however Yamaha. PLEASE!
You don't read a lot of motorcycles websites do you?  Do you ever window shop motorcycle dealerships?  Under $12k?  What are you smoking?  It will be $14-15k imo.  It will be worth it and I would pay it. 

The majority of the friends I ride/tour with when visiting Texas are 75 and up. In the past 2 years, 8 of them have traded 2 wheels for Spyders. And most of them admit to missing 'the lean.'  One emailed me yesterday to say, pursuant to a test-ride, he'd switch to a Niken in a heartbeat.

I'm not there yet, but it makes me happy to see both Yamaha and, reportedly, Honda entering this market. Prior to this, I figured the larger of the Piaggio MP3s would be my choice when I found myself needing to move from 2 wheels. I rode a friend's -the smaller version- and deliberately dove it into gravel in the corners. It had traction to spare. grin.png

• 2 weeks later...
I can say hands down I like this 3 wheeler better than anything else ever made with three wheels. That said I never needed a third wheel so far, but I almost want to buy one and save it for my golden years. If these things do flop I can see myself buying a new leftover and just holding it for 25-30 years until I need it. I know, something better might come along, but so far in history nothing has.
2001 Honda Saber - sold
2003 Yamaha FZ1 - sold
2005 Yamaha FZ6 - sold
2007 Yamaha Vstar 1300 - sold
2008 Kawasaki Versys - sold
2009 Yamaha FZ6 - sold
2010 Yamaha Raider - sold
2012 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 - sold
2014 Yamaha FJR - sold
2015 Yamaha FJ-09 - lemon back to dealer
2016 Yamaha FJ -09

Archived