Windscreen double bubble

The new double-bubble screen arrived only eleven (11) days after ordering, well packed in several layers of foam and plastic for the l-o-n-g postal journey from China, and quite unmarked. This is the clear (or transparent) version, but why double-bubble? smiley.png

Frankly, I don’t really need it as I’m perfectly happy with the stock screen, but it looks good and was cheap enough, so why not?

AUD$38 (USD$25.51) postage paid, rapid delivery. EBay item number 282389325877 - Transparent Clear Windshield Windscreen For Yamaha FJ09 MT-09 Tracer 2015-2016

The thickness of the material seems the same as the stock screen, or maybe a whisker thicker (I don’t have micrometer to measure it) but it does also have a stouter kind-of ‘rolled’ edge about 5mm thick around the upper rearward-facing part of the screen that’s more robust. This, combined with the stiffening that the ‘bubble’ provides – acting as a kind-of vertical rib – has made it a lot less ‘floppy’ and less prone to fore-and-aft oscillation at the top when riding, screen always in the lowest position.   (Some time ago I stiffened the OE screen by placing a small silicone 'bumper' between the rear of the screen and each of the two metal tabs that form part of its support mechanism.   I have left these in-place with the new screen).

The new screen was an instant fit into the mounting holes, and no fiddling or adjustment was needed.

Some members here with this screen report that air-flow also seems a little smoother and quieter, though that’s a subjective thing that I didn’t detect. Well-made, cheap enough, quick delivery, and at this price or anything similar – well recommended.

P1040134.jpg

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

• 2 weeks later...
NOV 15th EDIT - after a decent ride today I can confirm that there does indeed seem to be a reduction on buffeting/ turbulence compared to the OE screen, but I'd need to sit in a wind-tunnel to be able to prove it conclusively!   What IS definite is that the vertical 'bubble' and upper edge stiffening 'lip' on the screen do seem to combine to greatly reduce to almost nil the annoying and distracting fore-and-aft 'flutter' that the OE screen suffers from at even modest speeds.   
Only a minor point, but...

The new double-bubble screen arrived only eleven (11) days after ordering, well packed in several layers of foam and plastic for the l-o-n-g postal journey from China, and quite unmarked. This is the clear (or transparent) version, but why double-bubble? smiley.png

Frankly, I don’t really need it as I’m perfectly happy with the stock screen, but it looks good and was cheap enough, so why not?

AUD$38 (USD$25.51) postage paid, rapid delivery. EBay item number 282389325877 - Transparent Clear Windshield Windscreen For Yamaha FJ09 MT-09 Tracer 2015-2016

The thickness of the material seems the same as the stock screen, or maybe a whisker thicker (I don’t have micrometer to measure it) but it does also have a stouter kind-of ‘rolled’ edge about 5mm thick around the upper rearward-facing part of the screen that’s more robust. This, combined with the stiffening that the ‘bubble’ provides – acting as a kind-of vertical rib – has made it a lot less ‘floppy’ and less prone to fore-and-aft oscillation at the top when riding, screen always in the lowest position.   (Some time ago I stiffened the OE screen by placing a small silicone 'bumper' between the rear of the screen and each of the two metal tabs that form part of its support mechanism.   I have left these in-place with the new screen).

The new screen was an instant fit into the mounting holes, and no fiddling or adjustment was needed.

Some members here with this screen report that air-flow also seems a little smoother and quieter, though that’s a subjective thing that I didn’t detect. Well-made, cheap enough, quick delivery, and at this price or anything similar – well recommended.

P1040134.jpg

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

• Premium Member
I mounted the double bubble on my '15 FJ-09 and took a test ride yesterday....terrible! Quality product, but at 6' tall it was no better than the stock screen. Terrible buffeting and noise!

My favorite screens continue to be the Puig racing windscreen in the warm months and the Givi D2122S in the cool months.

I rode using all 3 yesterday back to back and those are my observations.
Piedmont of NC
'15 FJ-09
'94 GTS-1000

Just out of curiosity what's the silver object you have cable tied to the left of the picture?
That's simply a very small garage-door remote control, handily located so I can activate it quickly when riding up the driveway.   The black part that's underneath the zip-tie is a slider that can be moved to cover the buttons and thus stop any inadvertent activation.   The reason it's zip-tied in place is so that I can slide it out if it rains or when washing the bike... I doubt it's waterproof!

I mounted the double bubble on my '15 FJ-09 and took a test ride yesterday....terrible! Quality product, but at 6' tall it was no better than the stock screen. Terrible buffeting and noise! 

Which once again proves that we are all different!

• 5 months later...
Anyone know what size the windscreen bolts are?
Not sure if this answers the question, but my new E-Bay double-bubble screen ex China (~AUD$30) took the OE plastic screws/ bolts perfectly.

Archived