Choosing the FJ

Just be aware that the FJ is not an off road bike in any shape or form
Yeah, I'm not sure why the terms "adventure bike", offroad oriented" and FJ09 are ever spoken in the same sentence.  The FJ was never designed, engineered or marketed as "adventure", or advertised to have ANY dirt-type capabilities.  Sure you can put offroad type tires on it and ride it on well maintained gravel roads, but why not look into an actual bike that was designed from the start as dirt oriented/capable?  Super Tenere?, Africa Twin?, VStrom?
GS?

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

The FJ-09 is a sport touring bike like the VFR800, but faster, lighter, cheaper, and more comfortable.
Que?

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

• Premium Member
The FJ-09 is a sport touring bike like the VFR800, but faster, lighter, cheaper, and more comfortable.
Que?
With a few mods -- Maybe!

• Premium Member
I suppose "comfortable" is subjective, but the FJ's riding position is considerably more spread out and upright. Sure the stock seat is the best, but that's quite a bit easier than increasing legroom or raising bars on a VFR.

I think wordsmith is probably correct for me.  I still need to be looking for a BMW F700 GS (which will become the 900 with cruise control in 1-2 years), the Triumph 800 XRx, or the V-strom. I think he new Tenare 700 will be too dirt oriented when it appears...just my opinion. No one really knows.
As for something to replace my FJR as I become more feeble, I do like the FJ but if the VFR is still around, I have to consider that as I sat on one that someone converted to a Sport Touring bike at the Honda Sport touring rally in Spearfish SD this year and the bike can be made to fit tall lanky old people.  Off to the Reno Air Races on the FJR in a week.  Someone make all the fire smoke go away. :(

I think wordsmith is probably correct for me.  I still need to be looking for a BMW F700 GS (which will become the 900 with cruise control in 1-2 years), the Triumph 800 XRx, or the V-strom. I think he new Tenare 700 will be too dirt oriented when it appears...just my opinion. No one really knows. As for something to replace my FJR as I become more feeble, I do like the FJ but if the VFR is still around, I have to consider that as I sat on one that someone converted to a Sport Touring bike at the Honda Sport touring rally in Spearfish SD this year and the bike can be made to fit tall lanky old people.  Off to the Reno Air Races on the FJR in a week.  Someone make all the fire smoke go away. :(
You asked about the VStrom and BMW700GS.   
Positives of VStrom:

My experience with my 2006DL650 encompassed over 93,000 trouble free miles over about 3 years.  As a "do-all", "Jack of All Trades and Master of None", the VStrom is close to ideal.  Service Roads? -- No Problem;  Canyon Carving? -- just a blast, Reliable?-- almost impossible to beat; Mile Munching Highway Machine?-- Excellent: Occasional off-road -- Quite Capable. Add-ons? -- Endless.  Comfortable seat, body and leg position is ideal for long trips.  Incredible and never-ending luggage choices.

Negatives of VStrom:

Weight is carried high compared to FJ.  If you are really carrying a lot of gear; acceleration could be better and the weight (perception at least) being carried high could cause you some issues.  Since I have a 34" inseam, I had no problems with putting feet down.   If you can't flatfoot it, you might want to try lowering links ... or extra thick soles for your boots.  I have never ridden bike that felt right with lowering links though, so I would wear elevator shoes first.  No electronic cruise control. A lot of people have put on Audiovox CC.  i did not because I am an electrical disaster.  I used Kaoko Throttle Lock.  For me that solution was fine.   

Conclusion of VStrom:

For the way you describe your intended use.  Very hard to beat.  If you are trying to keep up with 90+hp machines.  Unlikely.  My only beef was weight seemed greater than what the specs said.  But I think that had to do with high COG.   One other Point.   Before I bought my FJ I test rode a 2016 DL650.  It felt lighter than the 2006, but the Ergos had changed. Legs were much more forward.  I [b style=font-style:italic]really, really [/b]did [b style=font-style:italic]not[/b] like that change at all.  However, Richland Rick (I believe, has a kit to set the Ergos to the previous Generation. 

BMW 700GS:    

My experience consisted ot 2 test rides.   About 1 hour each.  Stock Suspension was I think ... a tad better.   But clutch felt very weak, Acceleration and handling? -- No better at all in my opinion.  It did feel a bit lighter than the VStrom.  Stator on Demo Bike went out on 2nd ride.  A BMW mechanic told me that is a somewhat common problem.  I have 2 acquaintances with F700gs's.  Both had Stator issues.  

Basically totally unimpressed.  Couldn't see any advantages over DL650 in handling, acceleration, or capabilities.  On the plus side I think(?) you can get electronic cc, but I am not sure.   But reliability, ease and cost of repairs certainly inure to the benefit of the Vstrom.  Cost of Accessories certainly higher on BMW than Suzuki. 

Having said all that, I modded my FJ with a bashplate on my FJ and Race tech Suspension.   That raised the belly of the bike about an inch; which was pretty much taken away by my bash plate.   But with those revisions, I have done some four 400 mile days, one 590 mile day and numerous 250 -350 mile days. I certainly find it works as a sport tourer for 64y.o. body and with my Continental Trail Attack 2 tires, it is perfectly adequate for light gravel and dirt roads.  The low COG made handling very simple indeed. 

Archived