Brakes: any life saving advantage to stainless brake lines?

I've used EBC HH brake pads on my last few bikes and liked the results. IMO, the HH pads make a bigger difference than SS brake lines.

After reading some reviews online of these pads I'm tempted to swap to them even though I don't need pads yet. Would you say the dust factor is reasonably lower than stock?
'17 electric white fj - oem heated grips - oem hard side bags - heated corbin saddle - mra touring screen - motodynamic tail light - baja designs led turn signals - yoshimura full exhaust/fender eliminator - k-tech razor r rear shock/front fork kit - evotech radiator guard - mt-09 adventure pegs - pazzo shorty levers - stainless bar end weights
'19 Husky fe501 - cut off a few things and fixed the fueling

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply
After reading some reviews online of these pads I'm tempted to swap to them even though I don't need pads yet. Would you say the dust factor is reasonably lower than stock?
In the past (about 3-4 years ago) I found EBC's to have more dust than stock. Personally I prefer the Galfer's HH pad. Galfer 1370. Or the Galfer organic kevlar pads if I'm riding in rain a lot. I've also heard bundles of good things about Vesrahs too. 

'15 FJ09

Why am I trying to convince myself the Galfer semi-metallic are better then OEM pad? I have this idea it is a fair compromise between organic and full HH and will offer me a little better braking, especially when bringing the bike speed down rapidly? I had the HH on my Weestrom but didn't care for them so much. But that was no sport bike.

In the past (about 3-4 years ago) I found EBC's to have more dust than stock. Personally I prefer the Galfer's HH pad. Galfer 1370. Or the Galfer organic kevlar pads if I'm riding in rain a lot. I've also heard bundles of good things about Vesrahs too. 
Never tried the Galfer HH pads, but I would think any quality HH pad would have similar results compared to pads of other materials.  

Never tried the Galfer HH pads, but I would think any quality HH pad would have similar results compared to pads of other materials.  

I agree, a quality HH pad is a quality HH pad. Only subtle differences, like less dust :P

'15 FJ09

Here is my .02 cents for what it's worth.

The lines I've done on past bikes, and it made little or no difference. Perhaps some feel? But it was very marginal.
The big, huge change, and one that's not that expensive if you do it BEFORE you upgrade your levers? You just need a radial master cylinder. They typically are on most sport bikes. The one we have stock is a side piston design, and works fine, and it's nice to have a built in tank for the brake fluid. You will need an external fluid cup/holder for the radial mount style, but you also need to make sure you get a LARGER piston diameter for the radial mount MC. That larger piston, and fact it's pushed in by a more perfectly centered, radial action on the piston, gives you much better feel.

You are moving the same amount of fluid to use your brakes, but you are moving the piston less. This makes your brakes feel much stronger. And since you have a larger mechanical advantage over the fluid with the larger piston and the radial mount/lever, you can apply the brakes with less force from your hand, but more feel and feedback to your fingers/mind.

The ABS is going to not be affected by this modification either. It will work just fine. If you pull for too much brake, your ABS will step in and save your bacon. But you will have improved feel and control up to that limit. Another advantage is many radial brake MC's are smaller, lighter and thus fit on the bars taking up less space, so if you want to run narrow bars, you can this way, or have room for other switches and stuff mounted on the bars.

Look at your own stock MC, take a cell phone photo or two, and then go look around a bike salvage yard with a few simple tools. You can pull a MC off a wrecked bike, and take the lever with you too, since you will need it till you upgrade to a new one if you are going that route. Install, bleed the brakes and enjoy the cheap upgrade, better feel and amazing brakes.

Pads are the next step. There are many compounds, but as noted HH seem to be the best for a street bike that is ridden with some excitement. The FJ is fun but is really not a race bike as setup stock from Yamaha. The radial MC just adds to the fun factor of an already great ride.

Look at your own stock MC, take a cell phone photo or two, and then go look around a bike salvage yard with a few simple tools. You can pull a MC off a wrecked bike, and take the lever with you too, since you will need it till you upgrade to a new one if you are going that route. Install, bleed the brakes and enjoy the cheap upgrade, better feel and amazing brakes. 

Just don't get a radial master from a mid 2000's GSXR 600/750. They are junk. Even the recalled ones didn't work worth a shit. Sorry I don't have specific years off hand.

'15 FJ09

• Supporting Member
You just need a radial master cylinder. They typically are on most sport bikes.
The one I have is from a Yamaha R1, maybe '06?  I agree, the difference in feel is dramatic!! Another plus is the bleed port right on the master cylinder, it makes bleeding the brakes and getting all of the air out a snap.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Anyone tried the Ebay R1/R6 replacements from China? They look nice, and are direct copies of the Yamaha ones, but are pretty dang cheap, and come with the levers, and the parts you need to hook up your FJ09 with a radial MC, and use the stock clutch cable. (Throw on a R1 cable, and moose style clutch pull reducer, and you will have a very nice setup indeed.)

Check this out, about 67.00 and you get the whole deal. Levers, and all.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/182467227178?var=485043194089

And it's faster red.. (But they do have slower colors available... LOL)

• Supporting Member
Anyone tried the Ebay R1/R6 replacements from China? They look nice, and are direct copies of the Yamaha ones, but are pretty dang cheap, and come with the levers, and the parts you need to hook up your FJ09 with a radial MC, and use the stock clutch cable. (Throw on a R1 cable, and moose style clutch pull reducer, and you will have a very nice setup indeed.) 
Check this out, about 67.00 and you get the whole deal. Levers, and all.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/182467227178?var=485043194089

And it's faster red.. (But they do have slower colors available... LOL)
You know, for that price it might be worth it to try, assuming the leverage ratio is correct and gives a very firm lever feel. 

• Premium Member
I used their Compatibility tool and it came back with this message:

"This part is not compatible with 2015 Yamaha FJ09"

Too bad as I kinda liked the look of the (slower) gold versions...

• Supporting Member
I used their Compatibility tool and it came back with this message: 
"This part is not compatible with 2015 Yamaha FJ09"

Too bad as I kinda liked the look of the (slower) gold versions...

The banjo connection is more than likely a different angle, you might need to get the correct angled banjo fitting pressed onto your existing brake line.   

• Premium Member
The banjo connection is more than likely a different angle, you might need to get the correct angled banjo fitting pressed onto your existing brake line. 
Thanks.

I wouldn't know my banjo connection from an actual banjo so, given my technical limitations, I think I'll take a pass on this option and keep looking for something that's designed for the FJ.

I actually find the clutch pull pretty reasonable, and I've got risers installed, too.
Just hoping I won't be stranded with a snapped clutch cable on some dark, lonely road somewhere down the line...

This is the stock brake MC.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/14-15-16-YAMAHA-FZ09-FRONT-BRAKE-MASTER-CYLINDER-WITH-LEVER-OEM-02/182331448487?hash=item2a73cd1ca7%3Ag%3A75AAAOSwmLlX6p8H

Compare it to the Ebay "R1" version, and I do not see a problem with the Banjo fitting, You just turn the hose, it will flex just fine. It's a single fitting, just like the stock one.

The major difference is both the size and design of the MC. The larger diameter piston gives you better feel, as does the more direct centered force of the "radial" design v/s the stock one that's slightly off to the side, and adds a side load to the piston, and thus you have some friction, and less feel.

There are tons of the FZ 09 guys who have upgraded to radial pull R1/R6 MC's on the stock lines. Zero downside other than you have to mount up a remote fluid cup, and that's solved with a nice one on the Ebay unit.

Just my .02 again. :)

Archived