• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 17 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

The Eternal Struggle: FJ-09 v. Versys 1000LT

Guest kernowjim
@drgonzo615  Yes I've ridden both, back to back on test rides.  It depends what you want, I was looking for a lighter, sportier bike than the Triumph Explorer I had at the time - the FJ-09 (MT-09 Tracer here of course) was everything the Triumph was not and fitted the bill perfectly.  The Kawasaki was similar to the Triumph Explorer but without the character of a triple engine and no cruise control.  So the FJ was the bike for me.  The Kwak is smooth, heavy, slower than the FJ and the Triumph.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just a few weeks ago I sold my 2013 Versys 1000 and I now have a 2016 FJ (or MT-09 Tracer since I am in Europe).

I think your list of pros and cons is pretty accurate. The wind protection with the stock screen is awful on both bikes. On the Versys it is easily solved with a Givi AirFlow (a bit of a barn door though) but on the FJ for each aftermarket screen there are as many report of success as of terrible noise. That is something I still haven't solved on my new bike.

Both bikes make the same power but the delivery is extremely different. The FJ wants to play all the time. The V1k pulls from very low revs and keeps going forever, with the engine starting to scream manically around 6000 RPM.

The suspension on the Versys is adequate and the remote preload adjustment is extremely useful. I originally planned a spring upgrade but never did it. And Kawasaki improved it a bit in the new model in 2015 (all the rest is cosmetics). It is a comfortable bike for touring but I did most of my riding on twisty back-roads and it handled that very well too. And no, it is not boring.

But the lighter weight of the FJ is obvious when riding and the engine sounds nicer. As mentioned in other posts, the suspension NEEDS to be setup for your weight and there is no remote preload adjustment. I have added Givi Trekker 33 panniers and Trekker 46 topbox and I'm good to go touring. The panniers frames are removable. I'll go on my first longer trip next week so I'll be able to report then.

I don't understand how dealers get away with selling bike with no test rides. They are both extremely good bikes so I don't think you'd be disappointed with either. The Versys is ready to travel, the FJ needs a bit of effort to turn it into a tourer which makes the price difference disappear.

Mmm, I didn't help at all, did I?

Also, have you looked at the Triumph Tiger 1050 Sport? (The Tiger 800 is utterly boring)

I would assume that you posted this same question to the Versys forum, you're apt to get a one-sided answer here. My opinion, after riding both bikes, would be to favor the Versys IF you are looking for good two-up touring bike with plenty of power. I wasn't looking for that kind of bike, the FJ is a quick, nimble, very nice sounding bike but I could never see it as a two-up touring bike. The Versys was incredibly smooth, it handled well, and it had plenty of power. It just wasn't as exciting as the FJ.  That and it cost ( at the time ) $2k more.

• Supporting Member
Those who yearn to keep a three-cylinder motor under them, yet be able to tour a little more comfortably and effortlessly than with an FJ-09/ MT-09 and/ or regularly carry a pillion, could do worse than take a good hard look at Triumph’s Tiger Sport 1050cc machine.
That bike has been on my radar for some time, it checks ALL of the boxes but still not available in the U.S. 

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

My favorite part about the FJ is that is is a sport bike before it is a touring bike. Meaning that it is a sport bike set up for comfortable touring. That's why I bought it and will continue to ride it. I just need to put a skid plate on it!

Those who yearn to keep a three-cylinder motor under them, yet be able to tour a little more comfortably and effortlessly than with an FJ-09/ MT-09 and/ or regularly carry a pillion, could do worse than take a good hard look at Triumph’s Tiger Sport 1050cc machine. Visually it’s similar to the Kawasaki Versys 1000 and very much in that style and intended use, but personally I prefer the open, engine-revealing Tracer-style looks of the Tiger Sport compared to the more enclosed Versys. 
I don’t know about values in other countries, but here in Oz there’s very little difference in new price, the Tiger Sport retailing (before haggling starts!) at $16,500 to $17,000, while the Versys 1000 asks $15,500 to $16,000, both for 2016 models.

I had an earlier model Triumph Tiger Sport 1050 SE, the SE designation meaning that it came complete with good-looking and useful colour-coded panniers. It had plenty of get-up-and-go, and was only let down by – wait for it – a dismally uncomfortable seat! Otherwise, a very satisfying all-rounder I thought. FWIW and all that.

P1030952.jpg

P1030953.jpg

I had a Tiger 1050, and also own a KTM 950SM.  I loved the triple engine in the Triumph, but want something smaller and lighter like the KTM.  This is why I chose the FJ09.  A smooth triple in a smaller package. 

Those who yearn to keep a three-cylinder motor under them, yet be able to tour a little more comfortably and effortlessly than with an FJ-09/ MT-09 and/ or regularly carry a pillion, could do worse than take a good hard look at Triumph’s Tiger Sport 1050cc machine.
That bike has been on my radar for some time, it checks ALL of the boxes but still not available in the U.S.
Have to wonder why.......

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

• Supporting Member
My favorite part about the FJ is that is is a sport bike before it is a touring bike. Meaning that it is a sport bike set up for comfortable touring.
Yep, and - if you're willing to spend the $$ on high-end suspension upgrades - it's actually a really competent sport bike.   
The sport-touring continuum is VERY broad, and being more on the sport end of the spectrum, I would personally cross-shop a different Kawasaki than the Versys 1000:  Per Kawasaki's website:  "The ultimate sport tourer infused with superbike technology makes it the Ninja 1000 ABS motorcycle. From the daily urban commute to back roads and 2-up touring, the Ninja 1000 ABS offers open-class thrills, everyday comfort and enhanced touring performance." 
https://www.kawasaki.com/Products/2017-Ninja-1000-ABS

With the factory bags, that looks like a really nice setup.   I almost think Kawasaki confused the market by putting the Ninja brand on it...

2017_Ninja1000.jpg

• Supporting Member
My favorite part about the FJ is that is is a sport bike before it is a touring bike. Meaning that it is a sport bike set up for comfortable touring.
Yep, and - if you're willing to spend the $$ on high-end suspension upgrades - it's actually a really competent sport bike.   
The sport-touring continuum is VERY broad, and being more on the sport end of the spectrum, I would personally cross-shop a different Kawasaki than the Versys 1000:  Per Kawasaki's website:  "The ultimate sport tourer infused with superbike technology makes it the Ninja 1000 ABS motorcycle. From the daily urban commute to back roads and 2-up touring, the Ninja 1000 ABS offers open-class thrills, everyday comfort and enhanced touring performance." 

https://www.kawasaki.com/Products/2017-Ninja-1000-ABS

With the factory bags, that looks like a really nice setup.   I almost think Kawasaki confused the market by putting the Ninja brand on it...

2017_Ninja1000.jpg

I considered the Ninja 1000 as well until I test rode it, VERY nice bike but after the upright position of the Versys, the Ninja's riding position was a little too aggressive for me.  I'm sure bar risers and different rearsets would change things a bit, I would love to ride one that someone has already personalized with more comfortable ergonomics.  I sure love This Video of the Ninja 1000, beautiful scenery.  Makes me want to ride.  EDIT - OOPS the video didn't link correctly.  Its "The Wild Frontier" video ad from their gallery.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Premium Member
Man, that Tiger 1050 Sport is a good looking bike!

Good thing it's not available in North America or I'd be seriously tempted to test ride... (shhhh...don't tell the FJ)

I've taken my FJ on 10-day tours with loads of gear and had no complaints (except the seat, which I'm still sorting). She cruises just fine on long highway stretches and then springs into delighted action when the twisties come calling. Pillion passengers work well, although, I'd say I occasionally wish for just a touch more bite in both the engine and braking departments when the total load gets near the 400lbs limit.

If most of your time on the bike will be touring with a pillion and you prioritize smoothness, comfort, and easy miles, you might find the Versys a tad better suited to that (and/or a proper touring bike, like an FJR).

If you're looking to maximize "smiles-per-mile", with the option of doing some touring and pillioning from time to time, the FJ's hard to beat.

• Premium Member
I've taken (2) 1,000+ mile trips on my FJ 2-up with bags. Both were to the Tail of the Dragon and back. Both were before I upgraded the suspension. I never experienced any handling issues. No wobbling or instability at any speed.

• Premium Member
If I was doing allot of 2 up touring I'd lean towards the Versys 1000. If I wanted a fun, nimble, quick, put a smile on your face, solo riding bike it would be the FJ09. I got to demo the Kawasaki. It was comfortable, had decent power, and to me was boring. The FJ09 can do 2 up riding but I think the Kawasaki is better suited for that.
A Motorcyclist's Church is the open road....

I have not experienced the light front end myself either. I am about 270lbs in full gear and running the OEM side hard luggage and it's stable for me up to 100ish no problem. Also the wind protection can be easily remedied with an aftermarket screen.
'17 electric white fj - oem heated grips - oem hard side bags - heated corbin saddle - mra touring screen - motodynamic tail light - baja designs led turn signals - yoshimura full exhaust/fender eliminator - k-tech razor r rear shock/front fork kit - evotech radiator guard - mt-09 adventure pegs - pazzo shorty levers - stainless bar end weights
'19 Husky fe501 - cut off a few things and fixed the fueling

Thanks for all the replies everyone. I have posted the same question over on the Versys forum but there just seems to be fewer people overall over there. I think I need to test ride them both, which I have been attempting to do for several months but there are no dealerships close by that allow them.

Archived