BAGSTER custom seat just ordered..

• Supporting Member
Was the cost comparable with off-the-shelf premium seats?
They list all of the options on the website, and are very upfront about the price, no surprises.  Solo rider seat is $450.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well done - looks great.   The new rider's seat looks appreciably thicker than the OE, which should help!   I'm still awaiting an update on progress of my BAGSTER seat...

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

• Supporting Member
Yes, it IS a bit taller. My upcoming road trip will tell all, and if it needs any tweaking after a few thousand miles, its not too much of a ride to get it altered.

• Supporting Member
Yes, it IS a bit taller. My upcoming road trip will tell all, and if it needs any tweaking after a few thousand miles, its not too much of a ride to get it altered.
...re-read your post and realised that you kept the foam from the SC touring unit, which was rather beefy to begin with... so did he just shape existing foam and made the cover for it, or was something else part of the process? I notice gel inserts as an option on his site? 
If this thing needs further work... is that part of the offering? That might come in handy.
Yes, I started with the SC sport touring foam.  They trimmed pieces off and glued other pieces on to reshape it, then formed it to my measurements.  So while it is a bit taller, the part where your butt sits is contoured down and a ridge is shaped along the back.  He compares the fitting to a horse saddle. 
***edit*** forgot to add, yes, adjustments are included with the purchase price and the gel insert is standard.  I'm sure you could opt not to have it if you chose, but it is included in the price as well.

• 2 weeks later...
Well done - looks great.   The new rider's seat looks appreciably thicker than the OE, which should help!   I'm still awaiting an update on progress of my BAGSTER seat...

Sept 14th - Just been advised that my new BAGSTER Luxe seat was despatched from France yesterday, should be in Oz within seven to ten days or so, then Express Mailed to me for the remaining 900km of the journey.   I should have it by month's end....whoopee-doo!

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

• Premium Member
Sept 14th - Just been advised that my new BAGSTER Luxe seat was despatched from France yesterday, should be in Oz within seven to ten days or so, then Express Mailed to me for the remaining 900km of the journey.   I should have it by month's end....whoopee-doo!
Eagerly awaiting a report when you get to road test your beloved BAGSTER, @wordsmith.

@betoney, any thoughts on your custom seat after your big road trip?

• Supporting Member
Eagerly awaiting a report when you get to road test your beloved BAGSTER, @wordsmith . 
@betoney , any thoughts on your custom seat after your big road trip?

Funny you should ask, I just rode in about 90 minutes ago.  2855 miles in 6 days, I assume the foam is well broken in by now.  ;) 
Usually when I would create a route, I would plan for around 400 miles per day, with the stock foam or even the Seat Concepts foam.  Even after taking breaks and shifting my posture, stretching my legs and occasionally standing on the pegs, I was in discomfort by about 250 miles and was very uncomfortable by 400.
On this latest 6 day ride, the shortest day was 436 miles and the longest was 539.  These were usually 7:30am to about 6:00pm each day for 6 days straight. with a quick lunch and a few stretch/ snack breaks throughout the day.  I wont lie and say that it was bliss the entire time and I am riding without discomfort, but very rarely did I just pull over and need to stretch due to severe discomfort.  I was much more comfortable on these longer days than I have ever been in the past, but absolutely still needed to stretch and take breaks.  To be fair, even if I was laying in a Lazy-Boy recliner, I would still get up and move around within a 10 hour period, just to put things into perspective.

Bottom line is, I feel it is money WELL spent and if I got another bike, I would go this same route before buying an off the shelf, one size fits all replacement seat.  Its expensive but can you put a price on comfort?  For this ride, its a toss up which add-on I valued the most, the custom seat or the MCCruise.

Eagerly awaiting a report when you get to road test your beloved BAGSTER, @wordsmith . 
@betoney , any thoughts on your custom seat after your big road trip?

And equally eagerly awaiting the opportunity to write some words.   I plan a pretty decent ~450km (270mi) ride into the local countryside just a soon as I fit it onto the bike.   From distant memory, I cannot claim that my last BAGSTER seat required any breaking-in, at least not that I recall - but we shall see.   I can now start work on re-planning my deferred ~4500km trip north! 

• Supporting Member
...and there lies the crux of the matter for me. The seat needs to be comfortable, no doubt... but it ain't just the ass that gots them feelings, and fatigue can come from all over (neck, back, shoulders, legs... etc.). I found that I had to improve posture first and foremost by raising the bar and ditching the Sargent seat which made me fight the persistent forward slide (incredibly, the stocker works better for me). Suddenly my tolerance improved, the bike feels lighter and my back is on the mend. No doubt though, the seat is still in the cross-hairs... watching this thread like a hawk. 
Looks like you found the formula with your seat mod :) . This entire seat experience feels like expensive lottery sometimes. ::)

Yes, posture is the most important.  When originally measuring me for the seat, Rick had me sit on the bike in my normal riding position, position fore and aft on the seat, elbow bend, foot position etc.  the first thing he said was, "you need taller bars".  He wanted to fit the seat based on pelvis tilt, forward lean angle etc. During my rides, I constantly re position my hips as I have a tendency to slouch badly.  I will realize it and push my hips back and sit up more straight and I can immediately feel a difference in the pressure on the seat. 
Hopefully you find what works best for you because gambling on a trial and error fix is indeed expensive.

Calloo callay, oh frabjous day!   Just heard that my new BAGSTER seat has arrived in Sydney and will be Express Mailed to me tomorrow - I expect it early next week.   Shan't sleep tonight!   

Pretty good service - the BAGSTER factory didn't re-open until August 21st after the l-o-n-g summer break in France, so to have it here within a whisker under a month is good going.

BAGSTER custom seat just arrived...

This is like Chinese water torture - but I'm delighted that, just a little to my surprise, the new BAGSTER seat arrived today!   I wasn't expecting it until next week...

Inside a large box it was securely protected and packed to withstand a nuclear attack, I reckon.

It was a moment's work to remove the two parts, take off all the protective foams, and fit it onto the Tracer.   And what a delight to see and feel - it can only be described as a work of art!   I rather suspect that the Parisian seamstresses who make up these seats must moonlight at high-end French couturiers such as Dior, Givenchy, Lacroix, Chanel, and so on!

There are two contrasting fabrics making up the covers, one a suede-like material, the other - the 'sitting-on' parts - textured for a slight 'grippiness'. 

The small BAGSTER logo is discreetly printed in black at the rear of the pillion seat, and I chose silver for the beautifully-done piping, stitching, and the Tracer logo (many other colour options can be chosen).   On the bike, the rider's seat is rock-solid with none of that OE sloppy side-to-side slack being evident.

Sitting on it for a few moments, wearing just thin summer-weight shorts, it was immediately evident that the pressure-points on my two sitting-bones were gone - great promise for future riding comfort.

I cannot ride today, nor probably tomorrow, but will definitely be out and about for a decent ride over the next two or three days.   Stay tuned to this station!  :)  

P1040066.jpg

P1040064.jpg

P1040065.jpg

• Supporting Member
BAGSTER custom seat just arrived...
This is like Chinese water torture - but I'm delighted that, just a little to my surprise, the new BAGSTER seat arrived today!   I wasn't expecting it until next week...

I cannot ride today, nor probably tomorrow, but will definitely be out and about for a decent ride over the next two or three days.   Stay tuned to this station!  :)

Congratulations, you must feel like a kid on Christmas morning. 
Put some extended miles on that baby and let us know the verdict.

.....It was a moment's work to remove the two parts, take off all the protective foams.... And what a delight to see and feel.... the Parisian seamstresses... wearing just thin summer-weight shorts.....
...Captain, I think I have decoded the message!  8-|  
Seriously though, the seat looks great... is that in the lower setting shown in the photo? Would you mind posting a side-by-side top view comparo shot with the stocker? I am after the width difference across the entire length.
You have an imaginative mind, pio - I like it!    
To answer:  yes - seat in original pic is in lower position.   Herewith some others, but I don't believe the differences are great enough to be readily apparent.  Breaking out the trusty ruler, I measured each seat across its width at two points, (a) widest rear width, and (b) width at halfway along length (~200mm from front).

Results: OE seat - (a) 330mm.   (b)   280mm.   BAGSTER seat - (a) 340mm.   (b)  295mm.   Eyeballing the two side-by-side off the bike, the most readily-seen difference appears to be in the extra depth of the 'meat' of the new seat at the critical 'sitting bones' location.   The firmness, using an approved official USDA press-of-the-thumb test, appears by this crude method to be pretty similar.

Some other pics are added below.   I'm hoping to get out tomorrow (only Mrs W's current unfortunate bout of severe 'flu has prevented me from doing so today, as I don't like to leave her like this.   FWIW, Oz is currently in the grip of an extremely serious and wide-ranging 'flu outbreak which has already claimed some 120 lives.   Touch wood, I've avoided it so far).

A final observation is that the new seats seem to give a distinct visual 'lift' to the rear of the bike, although of course this is much less important than the sought-after comfort gains.

Let me have any other questions - and stay tuned!

(below - side-by-side, OE on left.   Funny that they both appear distorted!)

P1040068.jpg

(below - the Bagster seat appears thicker, 'meatier', but my ability to flat-foot appears unchanged, at least while in the garage)

P1040073.jpg

(below - front of Bagster seat in high position)

P1040074.jpg

(below - side-on view, seat in lower position)

P1040077.jpg

[i style=font-weight:bold]Pertinent pillion perch pointers...[/i]

Unable to get out for the moment, that doesn't stop me from ogling and fondling the new seats.   The following observations may interest those who carry a pillion, whether occasionally or often.

Visually, the ‘rise’ at the front of the pillion seat where it abuts the rear of the rider’s seat is somewhat taller than on the OE, ~10cm vs ~4cm, but looks perfectly in keeping.   The pronounced forward slope of the OE pillion perch is gone and the broad, now flat surface of the BAGSTER perch looks as if a passenger would be mighty comfy there!   And if so, and if squirm-free, the driver would too!   Pix below:

(below) - the 'rise' at the front of the new BAGSTER seat is about 10cm

P1040078.jpg

(below) - versus about 4cm on the perch

P1040079.jpg

My dear Wordsmith, I am sooo happy that the long awaited "seats have arrived.
I must say....they look fabulous!!!!
Can't wait to hear what your review of this new found derriere comfort solution is  :)

The width at the front for me would be a concern. Being only 5'5" with the seat in the low position I still DO NOT flat foot...only get the balls of my feet to ground.

So when are heading off on your trek to FNQ?

Kimmie......the lady who likes to take little detours :)

Archived