LUIMOTO GOLD GEL SEAT INSERT INSTALLATION

You may find some ideas here 
http://diymotorcycleseat.com/
Thank you very much for this!   I've had only a very quick squizz but will return to it in depth later.   How interesting that the first point to pop up is the info about the ischium (ischia) which I know is where my pain comes from 
Good reading no doubt to come - thank you again!

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sad to hear.

I'm satisfied with my solution - reshaping the seat by adding a 1cm thick memfoam pad at the front only,
this is enough to align my pelvis to a more "posterior pelvic tilt" position.
(The stock seat feels like it was made for a female anatomy.)

To break the seat in I left a 3kg dumbbell on the seat for the first few months, it approximates the width of my sit bones.

I also have a sheepskin under a mesh scooter seat cover.

antpe.jpg

Wow, thats really unfortunate to hear. So uncomfortable that you had to completely cancel your trip? If the only thing that worked for you was the Bagster seat, then I think you have your answer. For me, the Seat Concepts Sport Touring foam is an improvement, but it still isn't all day comfortable, I still squirm and re-position, stand on the pegs and take breaks to walk around to help alleviate the eventual discomfort.

Thanks for your words betoney.   I'm reluctant to fork out another $550 or so for the BAGSTER seat even though the last one I had was Rolls-Royce all-day comfy.   It kinda takes a lot away from the excellent-value-for-money that the Tracer originally represented.   On the other hand, if it's unrideable (not that I've reached that conclusion just yet!) it hasn't been value at any price.  
Mrs Wordsmith thinks I should bite the bullet, so I will be in contact with the local BAGSTER distributor tomorrow.  At least the product is proven, for me.   And the faraway places I was to ride to next week will still be there in a few weeks time...

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

You may find some ideas here 
http://diymotorcycleseat.com/
Thank you very much for this!   I've had only a very quick squizz but will return to it in depth later.   How interesting that the first point to pop up is the info about the ischium (ischia) which I know is where my pain comes from 
Good reading no doubt to come - thank you again!
I said "screw it!" and orered a Sargent seat today.  That is a good website and has some very useful info on it.   I did some of this on one of my previous bikes (2011-FZ8)  the principles did help quite a bit.  

• Premium Member
I've been following your journey with great interest, @wordsmith, as I, too, have a bony butt and am wrestling with longer-distance rides on the FJ. I bought mine second-hand with the Yamaha "Comfort" Seat installed so never knew the stock experience but can't do more than about 90 minutes on the "Comfort" version before needing a break. I was hopeful that the Luimoto might be a solution as they're located in my hometown (Vancouver, BC). Alas...

I'm curious to know the model of Bagster that you had and enjoyed previously - any chance of a heads-up?

And thanks for the detailed experiment thus far.

In my uneducated opinion the seat could be most comfortable even if made of stone as long as it is shaped exactly as your a$$. Looks like the best option is to build your (generic YOUR) butt's endurance to tolerate the stock. I tried the cheapest option - bicycle gel shorts. They were less than useless.

I've been following your journey with great interest, @wordsmith , as I, too, have a bony butt and am wrestling with longer-distance rides on the FJ. I bought mine second-hand with the Yamaha "Comfort" Seat installed so never knew the stock experience but can't do more than about 90 minutes on the "Comfort" version before needing a break. I was hopeful that the Luimoto might be a solution as they're located in my hometown (Vancouver, BC). Alas... 
I'm curious to know the model of Bagster that you had and enjoyed previously - any chance of a heads-up?

And thanks for the detailed experiment thus far.

Upshift - a few posters here in the past have bought the Yamaha 'comfort' seat and report that it was little, if any, improvement over the OE seat. 
Only too happy to talk about the BAGSTER seat.   Mine was a Ready Luxe model (pretty much top-of-the-line IIRC), with Bultex foam (ditto), model # 5355Z. Cost me AUD$549 to my door and within a pretty short space of time (shorter than they had advised).

Look up the 'what did you do today to your FJ' Thread here and scroll back to May 12 2016 and May 6 2016 (it seems so much further away than that!) and you can read my impressions and see some pix.

Two important things about the BAGSTER product were (1) the design and features can be tailor-made from a number of options of finishes, etc: (2) it comes on its own new seat pan so it's just a matter of taking off the OE, slipping on the new seat and pan.   Only difference is that there were no clips under the pillion seat for the screwdriver - no big deal at all.  

And I guess the most important third thing was that it worked for me - in spades as they say!   I recall that I did two back-to-back ~350km days very soon after fitting the BAGSTER seat: now that's not far for me or in this huge country, but the comfort comparison over the OE seat was chalk-and-cheese.   Thereafter it just got better!

I don't want to gush or sound as if I have shares in BAGSTER (sadly not!) but I am preparing to bite the bullet and place another order for the self-same seat with maybe a slight change of stitching trim to suit the newer different-colour machine.

I'll be interested to hear if you, too, bite the bullet!

• Supporting Member
I just visited the Bagster website, looked at the seat... and couldn't stop. It's so.... beautiful. :'(  
I'm gonna study it for a bit and work myself up... then I'll let my instincts take the wheel. ???
Funny.  I just did the exact same thing.  VERY nice looking seat. 

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

piotrek, betoney - good looks is one thing, and nice to have, but comfort is another.   I found the BAGSTER seat not only good to look at - the quality of the detail and workmanship is just spot-on - but great to sit on.   I'm just awaiting a call back from the Oz distributor and will be placing an order with him then. He has stock in of a 'standard' version, presumably somewhat cheaper in cost, but I'm not being diverted from what I know to be a fine product.  

Following pix are from about 15 months ago (May 2016) of the BAGSTER seat on my previous Tracer.   The 'rise' at the front of pillion seat where it butts up against the front seat's rear end is much less pronounced when the rider is seated - and off the bike it's not as much as it looks here when measured.

P1020707.jpg

P1020708.jpg

P1020709r.jpg

I get the impression from a quick glance at the 'configerateur' part of the website that a front only may be offered. Worth a quick e-mail? I'll ask my distributor when he gets back to me and let you know...

• Supporting Member
When I was looking at the Bagster site, one of the 3 options when configuring the seat was front+rear, front or rear. I dont need the rear seat either, I'm glad that they offer front only.

• Supporting Member
Now to find an authorized distributor. Once you configure the seat on their website it tells you to save the configuration and bring it to an authorized distributor, then the price can be finalized.

• Premium Member
Super helpful @wordsmith (and @piotrek/@betoney) - many thanks!

I shall be calling Bagster tomorrow and hoping I can get something delivered before my multi-day ride slated for the end of the month.

With all the interest in this product, think we could arm-twist them for a package deal?

Their website is kind of difficult to fully understand, some of the options aren't 100% clear.
Found it... kinda looks like the "ready seat" is a complete set, and the front is available as a custom seat... options are confusing.
I don't wish to set myself up as BAGSTER'S official Forum representative here (unless there is an all-expenses paid trip to Paris in it for me!) but my Oz distributor believes (but isn't 100% sure) that the 'options' really refer to choice of foam on the front/ pillion seat.   This kinda makes sense.   But an e-mail would clarify - but don't expect a quick answer as France shuts down for the whole of August, and I'm advised that BAGSTER'S workforce doesn't get back to work at their cutting benches and sewing machines until the 21st. 
And I intend to start a new Thread on this topic to keep things neat and self-contained...

Archived