Just Passed 25,000 Miles...Who Else is in The Club?

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Premium Member
 I joined the club this summer. My FJ-09 has 28K miles now.

I have not pulled the swing arm and shock linkage for a regrease yet - it’s on my to-do list.  
-Skip

It is a surprisingly quick and easy procedure on this bike, from first putting the bike up on the center stand to re-tightening the axle nut as your last step, the disassembly and reassembly is 30 minutes.  cleaning and greasing the pivot points is another 15 minutes.  I did mine when the bike hit the one year mark and the pivot where the linkage connects to the frame was rusty, not the bearings themselves, but the inner part of the sleeve that rides on the needle bearings.

Does your quick swing arm removal follow the service manual procedure, including removal of the muffler assembly and the drive chain? I am not convinced that removal of those two is necessary. 

2015 red FJ-09: Cal Sci screen, Sargent seat, ECU flash, slider combo, cruise, Rizoma bars, Matts forks, JRi shock, slipper clutch

• Supporting Member
@estell - I wasn't aware there was a service manual procedure, so no, I did not have to remove the exhaust or chain.

Remove the wheel, hang the brake caliper to the side, remove the linkage bolt from the swingarm and then remove the swingarm pivot bolt.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Premium Member
Hope I'm not pulling this off topic, but I'm curious about the recommended maintenance such as valve adjustments, spark plugs, etc. Example, for the valve inspection, did they need adjusting every time or always checked ok and never needed adjusting. Guess what I'm getting too, beyond oil, air filter, and tires, items that needed attention that we low mileage folk haven't dealt with yet. Typical chain life?  I'm only at about 5K. Thanks, Fox
Chain seems to get tight spots around 15K miles, valve's have been reported to be tight before the maintenance period in the manual of 26,600 miles, plan to check mine at 20,000 miles.  Spark plugs are every 8000 miles, but I won't pull the bike apart just for that. I'll wait until I need to do some other work, and do the plugs at the same time. 
My process only, ymmv

Archived