Just Passed 25,000 Miles...Who Else is in The Club?

Guest kernowjim
has anyone found that their engine/vibrations smooth out with more miles?  I love mine but with only 1200 miles on the clock, it is quite buzzy

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest kernowjim
After 14,000 km mine was same as new , what removed the vibrations for me was to change gas from chevron 94 to shell 91
I'm in the UK, standard fuel is 95 RON, premium is 98 RON - so can't go lower than 95!

Almost 27k on my ‘15. We’ve had a couple warm days this winter so I’ve ridden all 12 months this year.

Foxtrot -Re maintenance: DO NOT neglect the valve inspection! I don’t recall how many, but my valves needed adjustment at 24k when I checked them. My buddy has an FZ09 and his clearances were out as well.

I would also recommend steering bearing repack/replacement for an upgrade as this model is known for a “wiggle” at speed depending on loading, tire pressures and condition, etc.

I have not pulled the swing arm and shock linkage for a regrease yet - it’s on my to-do list.

-Skip

Excellent information, guess I figure out how to remove all the stuff to get to the valves. Are they adjustable, or do they have to be shimmed?
Interesting note on the steering head bearings, I have noticed at speeds in the 40 to 60 MPH, taking both hands of the bars just for a brief moment, there is a wiggle. I understand the repacking, but what were you referring to referencing upgrading.
Thanks for the tips  

1970 DT-250 / 1972 250MX / 1973 360MX / 1974 250MX & 1974 CZ 400 Red Frame & SC 500 / 1978 YZ 250 / 1979  YZ250 / (2) 1980 YZ 250 / 1986 YZ 490 / 1989 YZ250 WR / 1994 YZ 250 / (2) 2002 YZ 426 / 2007 YZ 450 / 2007 DR 650, 2015 FJ 09 / 2020 YZ 250

I'm nearing 36k miles on my '15. My valves were fine @24k, but some bikes have been OK and others have needed adjustment. Only problem I've had is a failed clutch switch - long may the problem free miles last.

• Supporting Member
I have not pulled the swing arm and shock linkage for a regrease yet - it’s on my to-do list.  
-Skip

It is a surprisingly quick and easy procedure on this bike, from first putting the bike up on the center stand to re-tightening the axle nut as your last step, the disassembly and reassembly is 30 minutes.  cleaning and greasing the pivot points is another 15 minutes.  I did mine when the bike hit the one year mark and the pivot where the linkage connects to the frame was rusty, not the bearings themselves, but the inner part of the sleeve that rides on the needle bearings.

Pivot_Bolt.jpg

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Supporting Member
Interesting note on the steering head bearings, I have noticed at speeds in the 40 to 60 MPH, taking both hands of the bars just for a brief moment, there is a wiggle. I understand the repacking, but what were you referring to referencing upgrading. Thanks for the tips  
Usually ball bearings are used from the factory, tapered roller bearings are a cheap replacement that can handle a load better.  A Steering Stem Bearing Kit is around $30-$40.   
Thread on headshake - some good ideas here.

You mentioned getting a wiggle if you remove your hands from the bars even briefly, as a reference, I can set the cruise control and ride with my hands in my lap for long distances with no wobble.  I have my forks raised in the clamps 5-7mm and full aftermarket suspension professionally setup.
If you remove your hands from the bars, your bike should track straight with no wobble or wanting to drop to one side.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Excellent information, guess I figure out how to remove all the stuff to get to the valves. Are they adjustable, or do they have to be shimmed? Interesting note on the steering head bearings, I have noticed at speeds in the 40 to 60 MPH, taking both hands of the bars just for a brief moment, there is a wiggle. I understand the repacking, but what were you referring to referencing upgrading.
Thanks for the tips  

They are adjustable, and they are a shim-under-bucket design. Cams need to be pulled for adjustment. This motor is tricky to get back in time and I would NOT recommend performing this task without a service manual.

As Betoney mentioned, a good quality bearing replacement can do wonders. AllBalls are my brand recommendation. If you can’t find a listing for an FJ/FZ 09 part number just order some for an XVS1100 V-Star any year. Same bearings.

Before chasing any steering wobble, verify tire pressures and condition. Over loading can also contribute. Raising the forks in the tree definitely helps. Simply re-torquing the stock bearings can also repair a 40-25 mph decel wobble if they are too loose.

HTH, Skip

• 4 weeks later...
Just done 49,000 km on '15 major service done 7 exhaust and 1 inlet tight ,K&N filter fitted running 2 bros SR1 pipe and power commander ,what a fantastic bike these are love it to bitsRunning genuine 105hp at rear wheel on dyno.

Does anyone have or know of a tutorial for doing valve shims? I remember my KLR had the disk style valve shims and it looks like the FJ is the same style, would just be helpful to know exactly what I'm getting into before trying to dig in to check everything. Thus far, the bike has been fantastic and has never given me any valve rattle.

• 3 months later...

Archived