Tracer 900 GT?

keithu

The bags alone are $1000, now add cruise, new suspension with preload knob, TFT display, quickshifter, new windshield, standard heated grips... We'd be lucky its only $2000 more than the non GT.
The bags are standard in some markets. It would still be lucky to be under $2000 more though.

Cruise - $500
Suspension - $500 more ?
TFT - $200 more ?
Quickshifter - $150 more
Windshield  - $0
Heated Grips - $90

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Premium Member
My guess Is the base 2018 will have the suspension similar to the 2017 fz09 and the gt to have Öhlins
I don't think so. They made a big deal about the fancy Öhlins suspension on the new MT09SP. If it were used on the GT they would have mentioned it.

Perhaps they will release an SP version of the Tracer in another year or two to maintain sales momentum.

• Premium Member
I don't know what Yam is playing at. they're nuts to wait till '19. This should be ready to go March '18. They are but detail changes.
Based on comments around this forum it sounds like US dealers still have some leftover '16 and '17 inventory. By delaying the release until H2 2018 they give dealers a chance to purge out old inventory during the spring.

I don't know what Yam is playing at. they're nuts to wait till '19. This should be ready to go March '18. They are but detail changes.
Based on comments around this forum it sounds like US dealers still have some leftover '16 and '17 inventory. By delaying the release until H2 2018 they give dealers a chance to purge out old inventory during the spring.

+1

• Premium Member
right but I doubt the dealers will actually lower their price to move the product. If Yamaha was smart they'd offer the dealers money to just get rid of them.
My local dealer has two new 2016 FJs in stock and they're advertising them for $7999 each, so clearly Yamaha has already dropped the price. Dealers aren't going to sell them for less than Yamaha's current invoice price.

+1 on the gas tank instead of Passenger seat.   
Now that would be USEFUL!!!!!

IMG_0108_1.jpg 
that tail bag would be bad ass if it was a gas tank... loving the looks of this forum members bike

NorCal:  That tail bag is absolutely beautiful ... it fit's the FJ perfectly.  Can you give me a make, model and/or where you found it.  I have not been successful in finding anything like it.

My local dealer has two new 2016 FJs in stock and they're advertising them for $7999 each
$7500 here in Mid-Atlantic. 7000 for a left over '15. The time to cut prices was September. Now it should be no freight, no setup. Just pay tax, title and regulated 'document' fee and out the door you go. 

Yamaha has finally posted info regarding the new FJ09 now referred to as the Tracer 900 (and 900 GT).  The biggest news is cruise control will be a standard feature along with heated grips and luggage (at least on the GT model).  Upgraded suspension, windscreen and seats as well.  It will be available the latter half of 2018.  They mentioned reducing the width of the handlebars which I thought was unnecessary.  I think the current bars are perfect. Looks like I just found my next bike.  The release date can't get here soon enough.

https://www.yamahamotorsports.com/sport-touring/models/tracer-900-gt
Brad
Selbyville, DE

IMG_0108_1.jpg 
that tail bag would be bad ass if it was a gas tank... loving the looks of this forum members bike

NorCal:  That tail bag is absolutely beautiful ... it fit's the FJ perfectly.  Can you give me a make, model and/or where you found it.  I have not been successful in finding anything like it.

its a backpack by Axio? its not my bike...i was just using that picture since thats what gave me the idea for a gas tank...
2012 wr250f - C-class 30+ age group
2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition-80whp
2015 fj-09- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich tune by 2WDW @120whp

Upgraded suspension, windscreen and seats as well
The 'upgraded' suspension is not worth $150. It's the same stuff as on the '17 FZ09 which is nothing to write home about. Had it come with an Ohlins 335 that at least would count as an improvement. And the aftermarket already handily addresses the saddle situation I should think.

The bags alone are $1000, now add cruise, new suspension with preload knob, TFT display, quickshifter, new windshield, standard heated grips... We'd be lucky its only $2000 more than the non GT.
The bags are standard in some markets. It would still be lucky to be under $2000 more though.

Cruise - $500
Suspension - $500 more ?
TFT - $200 more ?
Quickshifter - $150 more
Windshield  - $0
Heated Grips - $90

Please understand that I really do want the Tracer to be a success in all its markets, for despite its many flaws, IMHO, it offers a lot.   But here in Oz at least, even the rock-bottom almost giveaway o.t.d. price of around $15,000 including the factory panniers has failed to make an impression.   Add your mooted $2000 to that, Robert, and it would probably doom the new Tracer to oblivion here, again IMHO.    
The two machines - original Tracer and new Tracer 900 - are almost identical visually, so there's unlikely to be any 'wow' factor involved in a decision to buy or not to buy.   Lots of folks here have been demanding cruise-control, and Yamaha has answered their prayers in this regard, but I wonder if that would be enough to sway potential buyers at a significantly higher price.   

I see no Tracers here but plenty of MT-09s (FZs), and I wonder if buyers of those machines will even be interested in c.c. on the GT variant, as their usage is probably mainly in sports riding where c.c. would be of little value.  I'm not dismissive of c.c., for I had it on my last two BMW 1200cc boxer twins - a Roadster and a GS - and it was flawless, entirely intuitive to use,  and very useful on longer trips, but it has to be affordable.

Anyway, this is all moot, but it keeps interest up, and I guess we will just have to await release of pricing information on the various markets. 

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

Please understand that I really do want the Tracer to be a success in all its markets, for despite its many flaws, IMHO, it offers a lot.   But here in Oz at least, even the rock-bottom almost giveaway o.t.d. price of around $15,000 including the factory panniers has failed to make an impression.   Add your mooted $2000 to that, Robert, and it would probably doom the new Tracer to oblivion here, again IMHO.    
The two machines - original Tracer and new Tracer 900 - are almost identical visually, so there's unlikely to be any 'wow' factor involved in a decision to buy or not to buy.   Lots of folks here have been demanding cruise-control, and Yamaha has answered their prayers in this regard, but I wonder if that would be enough to sway potential buyers at a significantly higher price.   

I see no Tracers here but plenty of MT-09s (FZs), and I wonder if buyers of those machines will even be interested in c.c. on the GT variant, as their usage is probably mainly in sports riding where c.c. would be of little value.  I'm not dismissive of c.c., for I had it on my last two BMW 1200cc boxer twins - a Roadster and a GS - and it was flawless, entirely intuitive to use,  and very useful on longer trips, but it has to be affordable.

Anyway, this is all moot, but it keeps interest up, and I guess we will just have to await release of pricing information on the various markets. 
I see the occasional Tracer. 
Here are some figures from http://www.mcnews.com.au/2017-australian-motorcycle-sales-figures-road/
Top Ten Selling Sports Touring Motorcycles in Australia – Jan-June 2017

Yamaha YZF-R3A / 569 / -18.1%
Kawasaki Ninja 300 / 448 / -44.6%
Kawasaki Ninja 650L / 250 / 25.6%
KTM RC390 / 153 / -30.5%
Honda CBR650FL / 139 / -16.3%
Kawasaki Ninja 1000 / 95 / 4.4%
BMW R 1200 RS / 71 / -12.3%
Yamaha MT09 Tracer / 69 / -42.0%
BMW S 1000 XR / 62 / -28.7%
Suzuki GSX-S1000F / 60 / 27.7%

and 2015-2016 from https://www.fcai.com.au/library/motorcycle/motorcycle_sales_2015-16_comparison_top_10.pdf

sales2016e.jpg

Archived