Tracer 900 GT?

keithu

au contraire. You get to apply 5 coats of hand-polished wax, and spend $1500 on farkles and upgrades and sit in the saddle hours on end making Vroom-Vroom noises. If you're creative you slap a screen or tablet on the windshield and perfect your lines around Road America while chasing Tommy Hayden on his MotoAmerica series Zuk.
Ahem. Roger Hayden. Cough cough.

'15 FJ09

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Fine, I got the wrong Hayden. Romney Cycles WV has a GT on the showroom floor. I admired it this morning. Ask for George. I bought a bike in 10 minutes over the phone. The actual on-site sale took nearly 90 minutes. No idea what was up with that considering I was the only one there...

Congrats on the new bike! Are you going to show it off on the forum at all?
I bought a pair of Kaw '18 Z900RS forks for a bit less than 10 grand. They came attached to a bunch of other parts that closely resembles a road-going vehicle. heh 
It's the 'brown' version and looks like a proper UJM with pod gauges with actual needles that sweep over the dial face. F' LCD screens.

I bought it so I could sort out the forks and also come up with a mod-kit to the Andreani for FJ09 to shorten it up to Z specs. The -RS has fully-adjustable carts in both legs (supposedly) so the rework should be a simple matter of piston and shims. The shock is a total POS from Kyb and I have a dual-tone (gray+black) Nitron NTR1 slated to go in. Unfortunately the NTR2 with it's fixed reservoir can probably only go one way instead of flipped end for end so preload changes will be a PITA. With any luck I can impress upon Nitron the need to implement the same configuration they use for the FZ/FJ for the -RS and -RS Cafe.

Fine, I got the wrong Hayden. Romney Cycles WV has a GT on the showroom floor. I admired it this morning. Ask for George. I bought a bike in 10 minutes over the phone. The actual on-site sale took nearly 90 minutes. No idea what was up with that considering I was the only one there...
I may have to go up and see Kevin, and his staff, I was on the list to call when one came in, but it won't be the only one they get so, I see no need rush out and buy one, as much as I like the subtle restyle and all the upgrades a GT offers, I think if I happened across a well setup used FJ at a good price I might buy it instead. I don't work at Romney Cycle, but if you are close, it is a good place to a Kawasaki, Suzuki, or Yamaha, bought my first new bike there in 1984(1983 Suzuki GS750e). Also down the road, in Petersburg,WV, TriCounty Honda(Kawasaki, Polaris, Yamaha)is another good place to search for one. @pattonme, congrats on the Z900RS purchase, cool bikes, really want to see a cafe version, like the styling of the UJM, having grown up watching Lawon, Cooley, Spencer, and many others race superbikes, plus the comfort level of these new nakeds and adventure styled bikes make them appealing to me. They give up very little to a pure sportbike in real world riding for the greater comfort they give the rider.

My tracer 900 GT should be here either Thursday or Friday. Sold my 2017 super Tenere es needed to downsize. Can't wait to throw my leg over it. Not looking forward to the break in period again.
HAPPINESS IS RIDING MY TWO PROZAC
BOB

My tracer 900 GT should be here either Thursday or Friday. Sold my 2017 super Tenere es needed to downsize. Can't wait to throw my leg over it. Not looking forward to the break in period again. HAPPINESS IS RIDING MY TWO PROZAC
BOB
Congrats!! Are you stateside?

'15 FJ09

• Supporting Member
My tracer 900 GT should be here either Thursday or Friday.... Can't wait to throw my leg over it. Not looking forward to the break in period again.

Depending on what routine you subscribe to, the break-in doesn't have to be miserable.  I didn't ride mine like an asshat but I didn't baby it either.  I changed the oil at 100 and 1,000 miles and - done.

Don't take everything in the owners manual as gospel, it is way overly cautious, probably for legal reasons.

Have you ever read the recommended shift points?

According to the manual, the shift points are:
1st to 2nd- 12 mph
2nd to 3rd- 19 mph
3rd to 4th- 25 mph
4th to 5th- 31 mph
5th to 6th- 37 mph

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

I agree with Betoney. I also second doing a very early oil AND FILTER change at 100 miles and 1,000 miles. Get all those extra metal shavings from break in out of there!

'15 FJ09

• Supporting Member
According to the manual, the shift points are: 1st to 2nd- 12 mph
2nd to 3rd- 19 mph
3rd to 4th- 25 mph
4th to 5th- 31 mph
5th to 6th- 37 mph
Thanks... I needed that laugh!

So, what I’m hearing is that I had violated the break in rules within the first 50 feet of ownership... oh well. 12k miles now and it seems just fine.

According to the manual, the shift points are: 1st to 2nd- 12 mph
2nd to 3rd- 19 mph
3rd to 4th- 25 mph
4th to 5th- 31 mph
5th to 6th- 37 mph
Thanks... I needed that laugh!

So, what I’m hearing is that I had violated the break in rules within the first 50 feet of ownership... oh well. 12k miles now and it seems just fine.
Oh no, that's not for break in. That's for general riding!!

'15 FJ09

According to the manual, the shift points are:
1st to 2nd- 12 mph
2nd to 3rd- 19 mph
3rd to 4th- 25 mph
4th to 5th- 31 mph
5th to 6th- 37 mph

Mine: 
1st to 2nd - 50 mph
2nd to 3rd - 80 mph
3rd to 4th - Don't know, I'm too scared to look
4th to 5th - HAHAHAHAHAHA, you a funny guy!
5th to 6th - Wait...what?  There's ANOTHER gear?

So you think waiting till 500-600 miles would be too long? I planned on replacing the oil drain bolt with a magnetic bolt to catch what it can during the first oil change for an extra help, but was thinking closer to the 500 miles so I can have it a week instead of doing it right after the ride home ;D

Also, I have recently heard it is bad to put full synthetic on a new motor, and that you want to wait 1000 miles to put that in? I usually run Mobil1 10w-40 when it's colder and 20w-50 in the summer, which is full synthetic (I dont mean this to turn into another "oil wars" thread! This is more directed to the GT engine break in... Don't hate me!!!)

Also, I have recently heard it is bad to put full synthetic on a new motor, and that you want to wait 1000 miles to put that in? I usually run Mobil1 10w-40 when it's colder and 20w-50 in the summer, which is full synthetic (I dont mean this to turn into another "oil wars" thread! This is more directed to the GT engine break in... Don't hate me!!!)
That has always been my understanding, reinforced by many such recommendations on various bike Forums such as this.   It cannot do any harm to wait that bit longer before changing to the synthetic oil, and at ~ 1000km/ 600 miles from new seems best practice. 

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

Archived