Tracer 900 GT?

keithu

Norcal - you omitted the one upgrade that many have been crying out for, namely cruise control.

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...
Any word yet if the top speed is limited on the 900 GT?  I would think that with a longer swingarm and better aerodynamics the top speed could at least be higher.

It would be nice if one could at least complete a quarter mile without hitting the limiter.

• 3 weeks later...
On the Yamaha website prices have been added $12,999 for the GT and $10,699 for the base model, I think it's the same price as the 17 FJ09 for the base, I was hoping the GT would be priced less but I'm still on the fence as to whether I'd buy a Tracer or a left over FJ, and mod it to my liking with the money saved from buying a current model.

Saw one of these 2018 1/2 GTs at Americade this week in the Yamaha demo tent.  Looked very nice and most issues I have with my 2016 FJ have been addressed.  Nice big knob for rear shock preload, cruise, bigger screen and more.

A touring bike with a quick shifter and slipper clutch?  Well, why not?

Nice fit and finish too.

There goes my resale value...

cb
1968 Triumph Bonneville 650
1971 Norton Commando Roadster
2002 Harley 1200 Sportster
2003 Honda ST 1300
2016 FJ 09

GT Tracer = Super Tenere? ...I forsee a CP3 motor in the Super Tenere since the line up is missing a bike between the 500cc to 1100cc range in the Super Teneres it seems...

Gt is different purpose as to super tenere. The later is more a touring - adventure bike, even for Off road. I'd not get a GT in off-road

• Supporting Member
Nice fit and finish too.
Interesting remark, as I had been wondering about this. Is it noticeably improved from the first gen FJ? Just my opinion, but I’ve always felt like the FJ was nicely finished for the price point in the market it targeted, but was still a bit rough around the edges. Going upmarket with the Tracer GT kind of implies an upgrade in overall quality, so I’m pleased to see your obversation.

I’m anxious to see one in person.

Is anybody really going to buy the base model? I think Yamaha is going to learn the lesson that Triumph did when they started releasing the R models with full Ohlins and Bembo's. Everyone just buys the R and ignores the base model(s).

'15 FJ09

I'm guessing at least $13,000 for the US MSRP. 
Versys 1000 LT is $13K without heated grips or cruise.

Vstrom 1000 is $13K without panniers or cruise.

Tiger 800 XRx is $12.9 and has cruise, but not panniers.

I think the Tracer GT still makes a really good argument for itself at that price.

Just want to say: I was right! 8-)

Shame that we're actually getting a little worse price than Europeans once you take off VAT, but when you compare to the rest of the offerings in the US market, the price makes sense.

Whether I get a GT is no longer a question.  The only question is whether I get one this year.  I'm not sold on the color scheme.  I'd prefer silver tank with black side panels like my current FJ.  I also like the matte blue one that Europe gets at a lot more between the two.

$2300 - bags and other electronic dodads probably leaves about 800-1000 for the so-called suspension upgrades. What a ripoff! The non-GT will probably sell at a discount and you can ply $1500 into suspension and get some actually good stuff. Hepco/Becker luggage ain't cheap by a long shot (how on earth can some injection molded plastic get sold for $1000 with a straight face?) but you get to spend the 2 large to suit personal taste.

It's a shame about the colors. Just offer 5 or 6 colors every single year and make it trivial to swap them out like they did with the FZ07.

Looks like if you want a 2019 you will have to buy it sight unseen. I read the dealer memo Yamaha sent out, says "Pre-Sale only June-Oct". So basically you buy the bike now, start making payments, and maybe get it in October or November. Knowing Yamaha's contempt of the US market next years model will likely end up with plain black or white color schemes like they do with everything else after the 1st year.  At this point I am about to just say screw it and pick up something else.  Though it would cost about $1500 in aftermarket parts to add Cruise, Heated grips and a quickshifter to a Versys 1000 ... if you can find a Versys 1k for sale.  Could also pick up one of the many leftover 2017 FZ-10s (if you like the Gray/Hi-Viz color scheme) and turn that into an impromptu sport tourer (heated grips, seat, windscreen and a decent set of soft bags and you get a surprisingly good sport tourer, with awful fuel range).

• Supporting Member
At this point I am about to just say screw it and pick up something else.  Though it would cost about $1500 in aftermarket parts to add Cruise, Heated grips and a quickshifter to a Versys 1000 ... if you can find a Versys 1k for sale.  Could also pick up one of the many leftover 2017 FZ-10s (if you like the Gray/Hi-Viz color scheme) and turn that into an impromptu sport tourer (heated grips, seat, windscreen and a decent set of soft bags and you get a surprisingly good sport tourer, with awful fuel range).

Do you currently have an FJ or currently looking?  Cycletrader has lots of brand new '15's, '16's and '17's under $8k all around the country.  (that $5k price difference between a current FJ and a new GT can get you a lot of upgrades)

The Versys 1000 is a nice bike too but it is physically larger, 100lbs heavier and $2300 more expensive, but it does come with factory side bags.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Archived