Tracer 900 GT?

keithu

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply
http://www.motorcycle.com/features/yamaha-tracer-gt-trardemark-filed-europe.html 
The article laughably suggests that maybe this GT will be "a more comfortable version of the FJ-09 to compete with the BMW F800GT."

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the FJ/Tracer already competition for the F800GT? Sure, the Yamaha offers a very similar size and feature set, considerably more power, and a lower price. But the BMW has... umm... a blue and white roundel.

I'm sure this new Tracer GT will be based on the FZ/MT-10. Give the FZ-10 a bit of a fairing, 75 miles more fuel range, and decent luggage and it'd be direct competition for the Super Duke GT and S1000XR. I think I could be tempted to trade in my FJ for such a beast.

I once tested an 800 GS; maybe suspension, comfort and equipment is better than the FJ, but the GS will never be superior in terms of motor power, than the FJ

http://www.motorcycle.com/features/yamaha-tracer-gt-trardemark-filed-europe.html 
The article laughably suggests that maybe this GT will be "a more comfortable version of the FJ-09 to compete with the BMW F800GT."

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the FJ/Tracer already competition for the F800GT? Sure, the Yamaha offers a very similar size and feature set, considerably more power, and a lower price. But the BMW has... umm... a blue and white roundel.

I'm sure this new Tracer GT will be based on the FZ/MT-10. Give the FZ-10 a bit of a fairing, 75 miles more fuel range, and decent luggage and it'd be direct competition for the Super Duke GT and S1000XR. I think I could be tempted to trade in my FJ for such a beast.

I once tested an 800 GS; maybe suspension, comfort and equipment is better than the FJ, but the GS will never be superior in terms of motor power, than the FJ
I owned a BMW F800 GT.   In many ways it was an excellent little motorcycle, with the belt-transmission being a decided plus for me after very many years on BMW shaft-drive R1200 Rs and GSs.   But it was sadly underwhelming in terms of performance, so a big let-down.   But I believe a new 900cc twin engine is in the offing...

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

• 2 weeks later...
I have a Tracer here in OZ. I have had Wayne from Tune Boy remap the ECU with a Cruise C Map. He uses the Mode button to set the speed by a quick press once at the speed wanted. Then another press will increase speed by 1kph or a long press will decrease speed by 5kph. Apply the brakes or clutch will disable the CC. I have had it for some time and it works quite well. He has been focusing on Ducati mainly however he is now branching out onto other brands.
He will also add the ability to install a Quick Shifter if required along with a number of other features including Auto Tune.
Check his website out for more information.

I have a Tracer here in OZ. I have had Wayne from Tune Boy remap the ECU with a Cruise C Map. He uses the Mode button to set the speed by a quick press once at the speed wanted. Then another press will increase speed by 1kph or a long press will decrease speed by 5kph. Apply the brakes or clutch will disable the CC. I have had it for some time and it works quite well. He has been focusing on Ducati mainly however he is now branching out onto other brands. He will also add the ability to install a Quick Shifter if required along with a number of other features including Auto Tune.
This deserves its own thread if you ask me. So does this remove the normal mode selection functionality? 

You are correct it probably should have its own thread. However to answer your question, it doesn't remove the normal mode selection functionality as you can only change modes by releasing the throttle then changing mode. To engage the Cruise you must reach the speed you want and then hold the throttle at that speed whilst pressing the mode switch.

I have a Tracer here in OZ. I have had Wayne from Tune Boy remap the ECU with a Cruise C Map. He uses the Mode button to set the speed by a quick press once at the speed wanted. Then another press will increase speed by 1kph or a long press will decrease speed by 5kph. Apply the brakes or clutch will disable the CC. I have had it for some time and it works quite well. He has been focusing on Ducati mainly however he is now branching out onto other brands. He will also add the ability to install a Quick Shifter if required along with a number of other features including Auto Tune.
Rogerb: 
I see that Tune Boy (at long last) has their Cruise Control ECU reflash perfected.  A couple of questions if I may:
1.  Cost?  I have gone to their website but I am having a hard time finding the cost for the Cruise Control (Only) remap, and
2.  Did you consider using what Tune Boy calls their "Nudge Buttons".

I can't seem to find how to get to the map to download it.  What the "Nudge Buttons" look like or if you can do the nudge buttons if you only do the Cruise Control remap with no other additions.  I have written Wayne for the above info but haven't gotten a response yet and I would certainly like to make this my Christmas Gift to me!!

Thank you for any advise you can offer.

You are correct it probably should have its own thread. However to answer your question, it doesn't remove the normal mode selection functionality as you can only change modes by releasing the throttle then changing mode. To engage the Cruise you must reach the speed you want and then hold the throttle at that speed whilst pressing the mode switch.
Brilliant! And all this only requires an ecu flash? I'll definitely be looking into this

vijay, I don't know the cost for Tune Boys Cruise Control only remap. I have the tuning software as well.

I considered the Nudge Buttons but I am very happy using the Mode switch for no additional cost.
RogerB,  
Thank you.  I'll try and email him again.  With Christmas holidays he may be difficult to reach at the moment.  But since I'm in the U.S. it is somewhat inconvenient to drop by his place of business. ;)

• 3 weeks later...

Archived