Biggest size top case that doesn't look 'goofy'??

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
One thing about top cases is putting more weight farther back on the bike & affecting the handling. 
There was a recent post on advrider.com about using the Ventura rack where a person with an FJ-09 mounted a Givi top case. What's nice about the Ventura mount is that if you don't have a passenger you can have the case positioned more forward.

FJ_Ventura_Rack.jpg

Does the ventura allow you to move the case back? I see what you are describing from your picture about it being further forward than most... Is it also able to be used with passenger?

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

• Premium Member
One thing about top cases is putting more weight farther back on the bike & affecting the handling. 
There was a recent post on advrider.com about using the Ventura rack where a person with an FJ-09 mounted a Givi top case. What's nice about the Ventura mount is that if you don't have a passenger you can have the case positioned more forward.

FJ_Ventura_Rack.jpg

Does the ventura allow you to move the case back? I see what you are describing from your picture about it being further forward than most... Is it also able to be used with passenger?
Yes. It requires re-positioning the bottom case brackets. I have the same set up, and am well pleased with it. The top box will take a Nolan N104 Evo helmet with no problems. 

I have an old Givi E45 which has been in regular use on multiple bikes since around 1996. So, yes, Givi is a good, durable make.  
I would definitely stay under 50 litres. I have seen people using the 56 litre top boxes and they just look really silly rather than just ugly.

Kappa is owned by givi and offer some alternatives to the Givi range and usually cheaper as they may have less bling.

Ha! Silly rather than ugly; great way to put it!

FJ_Ventura_Rack.jpg

Thanks for the photo, it really helps out things into perspective!

The odd thing is, a main reason to get a top case IS for the passenger! I want a case that you can get a back rest/cushion for.

Also, an LED kit for the case will make me 'feel' safer :)

As keithu says, they ain't pretty. I have the Givi V47 and only use it if I'm going into the city so I can still lane split, or carrying books/ marking/papers when I go to school (I'm a teacher) and don't want paperwork to fall out of side cases. On the plus side, it takes my helmet and jacket with ease. 
If I'm travelling longer distance and in twisties I prefer side cases.

No they're not pretty! But like someone else said, when you're riding, it doesn't matter much what your bike looks like!

From the photos you guys have shared, I'm definitely going to keep the top case LESS than 50 liters.

Too bad RevZilla is currently out of stock in their V47 model :(

Givi v46 for me... 
Goofy looking, but so is the entire bike:

NTmo3BS.jpg

Goofy looking? Oh come on, just because your bike isn't RED like mine doesn't mean you have to be so hard on yourself! (j/k)

I admit, the fj-09 is like a sport bike with wide handle bars and ugly handle bar wind deflectors. Funny thing is, the handlebars only bother me when I am RIDING the bike.

When I LOOK at (admire and drool) at it, the handlebars look quite nice to me and fit the overall look (to me).

The top cases wouldn't look so funky if they would quit jacking the tail end of these road bikes up like an mx bike.
It's to give maximum ground clearance for when I'm jumping fallen trees in forest trails ?. You know, like I do every day. 
I love the look of the bike. I've not got tired of it after a year of ownership.

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

• Premium Member
As keithu says, they ain't pretty. I have the Givi V47 and only use it if I'm going into the city so I can still lane split, or carrying books/ marking/papers when I go to school (I'm a teacher) and don't want paperwork to fall out of side cases. On the plus side, it takes my helmet and jacket with ease. 
If I'm travelling longer distance and in twisties I prefer side cases.
No they're not pretty! But like someone else said, when you're riding, it doesn't matter much what your bike looks like!

From the photos you guys have shared, I'm definitely going to keep the top case LESS than 50 liters.

Too bad RevZilla is currently out of stock in their V47 model :(
Pfft.  I don't know about you, but when I ride I check out every store front window to catch a reflection of me riding my super cool looking Transformer.  So looks ARE important to some.  Although he still hasn't transformed from a bike into a robot....

I'll chime in with a vote for the Givi Outback.  I have the 42L version; it holds a full face helmet and my leather jacket no problem.  There's also a larger 58L version that holds two full face helmets.  I've seen the larger case in person, and it looks surprisingly good as well, but is much larger than I need on my daily commute.  Here's a few pics of my bike with the top case:

IMG_1122.jpgIMG_1118.jpgIMG_1117.jpg

Archived