New accessory purchase today for the FJ

I love my CalScit T-shorty. Works flawlessly. I'm about the same height as you (OP) but 30" inseam. That 1-2 inchs really does make the difference I guess. CalSci does a really good job when the cut the shields down.

Have you considered raising your seat?

'15 FJ09

• Premium Member

"It doesn't matter who walks in, you know the joke is still the same"  Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. USA

Your qwest is quiet? Mine whistles like a train if I hold my head on a normal riding position. Hate that helmet!
Have you tried adjusting the visor to stop the whistle

Yes. It's on there tight. I've even gone as far as covering the vents with tape to rule them out. Only whistles when the visor is all the way up and my head is pointed straight ahead.

JJM - you may have an issue with that helmet, I've had a Qwest for 4 years and have never experienced any whistling with it, and have ridden a variety of bikes.  I do hear some noise, but it's just a buffeting sound when I don't have the chin guard/dam in place, I guess some gets up into the helmet and knocks around. If you bought it from a dealer they may be willing to have a look at it.  

Darn. Well I guess I got a bad one. I've had it for a while though, I should probably replace it. I don't mind wind noise, or rumbling. But that whistle just kills it.

Just got a short MRA screen and I must say that, even at the lowest setting, it does a much better job of blocking the wind from my chest. I like clean air over the helmet and this screen is just the right size to do this, I'm 6'1" with a 32 inch inseam ( for size reference ).

• 2 weeks later...
I just picked up my FJ-09 and drove it home 200 miles. That windscreen is god awful. The CalSci one looks good. I'm curious how it works for you. I'm debating going small or large. I'm 6'4 with a 34" inseam and with a Shoei Qwest helmet it was whisper quite when I riding on the FJ standing up.
Your qwest is quiet? Mine whistles like a train if I hold my head on a normal riding position. Hate that helmet!
I rode today with the windscreen off. My Qwest was still fairly quite. Not a ton a whistling. It was much louder with the windscreen. I just ordered a CalSci Large, so hopefully that will help me with my height problem.

Hey TB!

I'm around 5'11" with a 32" inseam and I tried the CalSci Shorty screen. It was an improvement over stock (which isn't saying much, lol!) but I still didn't like it enough to keep it. The CalSci guys were great to deal with and accepted the return without issue. I ended up going with a Powerbronze shorty and for around town it's about perfect, and not too bad on the highway. MUCH quieter and less buffeting than the original and it's probably not the choice for extended touring but great everywhere else.

The bars are in the stock position, and the windscreen is set on the lowest setting.

I'm curious if there are smaller screens on the
market. Anyone have any quick info on that?
FJ09_2.jpg

• 1 month later...
I have the same CalSci screen.  I'm 5' 11" 32" inseam, have the bars in stock position and seat in low.  When I first installed the screen I set it in the high position, and quickly realized that was not good.  So I set it all the way low, and it's a big improvement, but still not completely clean air.  I'm a big fan of small wind screens, just enough to keep the wind off my chest but my head in still air would be perfect.  I think I'll try that spacers in the bottom mounts trick and see what that does.

I also wear a Shoei Qwest and it's plenty quiet for me, but I always wear ear plugs.

I have a CalSci tall windscreen on my FJ-09 and am extremely happy with it.  I'm 5' 10" tall and wear a Shoei RF1200 and experience no helmet buffeting with the CalSci windscreen.

Tao%20in%20Wheat%20-%20May17A_zpscmi0jizs.jpg

2015 Yamaha FJ-09 and 2018 Yamaha XSR700

• Premium Member
The bars are in the stock position, and the wind screen is set on the lowest setting.

I'm curious if there are smaller screens on the
market. Anyone have any quick info on that?
See added post below this one with photos... 
I'm only 6 foot but have an extremely long upper body, equivalent to someone 6' - 5"; or an adult male orangutan.

Consequently, for my fall, spring and winter shield I run the Givi tour in the high position WITH a bolt-on MRW spoiler. For temps much over 75 degrees F I have the $24 +/- opaque black (also available in transparent bronze tint) Chinese made supposedly polycarbonate acrylic blend (which scratches easily like the Givi) "bikini" screen I thought was too noisy but without buffeting over 70 mph but it turned out it was one of my helmets, and is actually bare able up to 90 with ear plugs even in the high position. I did add .75+ inch long spacers from the Givi kit between the oem screen bracket and oem black plastic backer "plate" but only to allow fitment of my heads up display mounting bar.

• Premium Member
For hot weather I remove my Givi touring screen with MRW spoiler and install a Chinese bikini wind screen but using the Givi .75" spacers behind the OEM screen bracket. I run both in the upper position and have 1.5" lower bars with more sweep but have an extra-extra long torso on my 6-foot+ frame. Helmet interface is very important along with wind velocity and direction but up to 80 mph I'm pretty happy with both AM screens but I still wear ear plugs as my tinnitus is bad enough from 45 years of high-speed two-wheeled travel...

2017-03-26_FJ-09_Full_frontal_View.jpg

20170609_172907.jpg

20170609_173034.jpg

20170610_205840.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Archived