First oil change problems.

• Premium Member
You guys worry to much. 
There's a minimum mark, there's a maximum mark.

If it's between them or somewhere close go for a ride. This ain't rocket science. Even rocket science ain't all that exact.
  I think some of these guys should wait until after they change
their oil before they start hitting the beers.
BLB

• Supporting Member
You guys worry to much. 
There's a minimum mark, there's a maximum mark.

If it's between them or somewhere close go for a ride. This ain't rocket science. Even rocket science ain't all that exact.
I dont think the OP had any issues knowing where the minimum or maximum marks were.  The whole point of his post, and this happens to me as well, is when the level is set exactly in the middle of the sight glass while on the center stand, the next time we ride the bike, suddenly the level is way over the maximum mark. 
You're correct, this isn't rocket science, but after 40+ years of changing oil on vehicles, this is the only one that changes so drastically after setting the level correctly.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

I have noticed the same thing...same thing happens to the vacuum pumps on my machine at work for example...we change the oil, fill it to halfway in sight glass...fire it up for a few mins, come back and the oil level is near top of sight window...its just the oil breaking down and trapping air, dirt, metal, etc which will raise the oil lvl and not all oil came out when we do the oil changes and with such a very small sight glass amd oil volume on the FJ-09 it dont take much to change the oil lvl...I fill with 2.5qt then ride around the block then check oil lvl...
2012 wr250f - C-class 30+ age group
2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition-80whp
2015 fj-09- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich tune by 2WDW @120whp

I wouldn't worry. A smidge over the max mark isn't going to hurt anything. The problem is that once gets above the max mark (and out of the sight glass) it gets hard to know how much extra is really in there. A tiny amount, not a big deal, but you just need to know that for sure.

My guess is the factory oil filter anti-drain back is not working, and as it sits when off, the oil in the filter drains down slowly into the sump/pan.

With a good filter like the Purolator PL14610 you can run 3 quarts of oil in this engine without any concerns.

I've read the debates about the factory or only using motorcycle rated filters, but seriously, if you have a good filter media, you should never clog it up to the point where the bypass valve is going to open anyway. (And that's a bad thing when cold or the filter is "full" of dirt.)

Use a good synthetic, run a good full or partial depth filter media and 3 quarts of oil and call it done.

The media will trap more stuff. Yet flow better than paper.
The synthetic oil will pump better at start up temps, while still providing excellent hot engine lubrication.

Archived