If not an FJ-09, I would have bought <insert answer here>

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Premium Member
Probably a V-Strom 650, but really not sure. I knew that I wanted something different. I was selling my SV650S and didn't know what I wanted. A friend told me to try the FJ-09, which I had not even thought about (honestly never even heard of).

• Premium Member
I had considered the C-14 (too heavy, don't tour that often), and Caponord (lack of dealer support). If I'd known it was coming, I'm certain I would've gone with the FZ-10. Add some bags and a windshield and I'd be a happy camper. Still might do it when they start showing up on the "used" market...17_fz_10_grey_a6.jpg

• Premium Member
Being a huge fan of Triples it would be hard to replace the FJ. My joints can't take Sportbikes anymore and Triumphs 800's aren't sporty enough. Loved my Ducati twins too.
Either the KTM 1290 Super Duke GT or the 1290 Adventure S (not available here) or perhaps the Multistrada 950. Not sure I could give up cruise control either. My fully dialed in FJ has spoiled me.
2015 FJ-09
2006 Triumph Daytona 675

• Premium Member
I looked at many different bikes and if I didn't get the FJ09 a close 2nd. In the,"this is really fun" dept. is the Indian Scout. In the all around practical of what I wanted, it would have been the Kawasaki Versys 1000. I choose wisely. The FJ09 is perfect for me. Fun, nimble,fast, great for just about what I wanted, a road trip bike that I can throw around. I ride solo. If my wife wanted to take trips with me then for all practicality I would have gone with the Versys 1000. Maybe even a Used Honda Goldwing.
A Motorcyclist's Church is the open road....

I tried sitting on the Versys 1000, but one odd thing kept me from even taking a test ride - the lower part of the engine obstructs easy operation of the right foot brake pedal... . dont know if anyone else felt the same.

My next favorite would have been the Yamaha SuperTenere (2014+)... I did test ride it and loved it.. but it was heavy!

• Premium Member
@pcwizz let me know if you find a used one with low miles this side of the galaxy...
The force is strong with you duhs10, your reply came only seconds after my post......... 
And when I find what you are looking for, you will feel the disruption in the force

I was shopping price more than bike and was pretty sure I was going to wind up with a KLR650. I went to the Yamaha shop seriously looking at a Bolt R-Spec. Lucky for me they had sold it the previous night. This shop has a serious overload of past model year new bikes, so I was able to snag the FJ for only a little more than the asking price had been for the Bolt. I had wanted the FJ for a couple of years but didn't think it would fit in my limited budget. Clearance prices and an understanding wife let me take delivery last Wednesday. This thing is light years ahead of the 04 KLR250 I've been on.

A z1000sx >2014 MY should do the trick. Good for two up riding and touring, reliable, and plenty of power. No silly maintenance and high costs, and i have always had a soft spot for kawasakis.

I am actually in the process of searching since using my FJ, which is fully kitted out, everyday in bike theft infested London is a nail biting exercise even with third party fire and theft insurance (not covering the extras!!!!). The FJ will stay in the family, but i am thinking of a gen II FZ1 for some touring, weekend and everyday riding. If anyone has any experience with FZ1s, I would be happy to hear your thoughts (hoping I am not hijacking the thread!!)

Archived