Luggage question?

Another idea on how to get on your bike with a top case or any luggage on the rear seat is to stand more forward than you normally would, say about near the fuel tank and put your leg over. Works for me.

Here's my luggage related question, my Shad SH36's will be here Tuesday.  I'm now 61 but can still easily swing my leg over the seat to mount/dismount the bike.  I know the few times I bungied a bag to the seat it got difficult to get my leg over.  Once my Shads are mounted I know I will have to get on and off using the foot peg like a stirrup.  Is the kickstand stable enough to handle this move or is it going to require a balancing act to get on and off?  I never had a problem getting on and off my Kawasaki Concours but I was much more limber in those days.  Just looking for some feedback to possibly avoid some embarrassment.
With just the SHAD cases only you might still be able to get on the bike without using the pegs. I have the SH36s and tail bag sitting on the passenger seat. I regularly use the foot peg to get on and off the bike. As long as you are on level ground it shouldn't be a problem. There have been a few times that the bike was on an angle and I felt like it was about to tip over. When possible I put the bike on the center stand which makes mounting via the foot peg much more stable.

Brad
Selbyville, DE

I received everything ordered from Shad today. I already have them installed. I'm glad to report that I can still swing my leg over the bags rather easily to mount/dismount the bike. Thanks for all the feedback. I will be updating a post I created regarding Shads customer service.
Brad
Selbyville, DE

• 9 months later...
Here's my luggage related question, my Shad SH36's will be here Tuesday.  I'm now 61 but can still easily swing my leg over the seat to mount/dismount the bike.  I know the few times I bungied a bag to the seat it got difficult to get my leg over.  Once my Shads are mounted I know I will have to get on and off using the foot peg like a stirrup.  Is the kickstand stable enough to handle this move or is it going to require a balancing act to get on and off?  I never had a problem getting on and off my Kawasaki Concours but I was much more limber in those days.  Just looking for some feedback to possibly avoid some embarrassment 
Hi Brad, 
Do the Shad bags require the purchase of seperate brackets? 

I am 74, so I know what you mean. I usually leave my top box on all the time when home, and in town, so as to have a place for groceries and to store my helmet when of the bike. I normally set my bike up on the center stand when I park so I can easily step on the peg to mount. never had a problem... getting on, and the peg is certainly strong enough...

Now, getting off is another thing, particularly with side bags, top box and another dry bag on the Seat behind me.  Sometimes I have to sort of slither off ignominiously while remembering to keep going to the gym and to lay off the pastries. Don't sweat it, you are a relative youngster. On the other hand, for the rest of you young punks laughing at this thread... getting older is not for the faint of heart. Stick to it dude, riding there is worth the effort. 

Here is a picture of one of my usual set ups, and showing a reason to keep riding even if it takes a little of extra geriatric effort!IMG_0199_copy.jpg

• Supporting Member
for the rest of you young punks laughing at this thread... getting older is not for the faint of heart. Stick to it dude, riding there is worth the effort.  
Here is a picture of one of my usual set ups, and showing a reason to keep riding even if it takes a little of extra geriatric effort!
IMG_0199_copy.jpg

You sir, just made the post of the week IMHO.  
I think of all the places I have traveled and things I have seen while riding, while I am 20 years younger, the "Reason to keep riding" appears to be the same regardless of age. 

Keep on riding buddy!

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Can't stand it, another opportunity to post a picture.  TTP:  The main reason Yamaha doesn't want you speeding along with both top and side bags, over 85 is that the bike becomes unstable.  The more weight you have on it seams to lessen this issue.  I had a near tank slapper at 104 with the sidebags and a rear seat bag that didn't stop until I was going less than 85.  I tend to not do that anymore, while coming out of corners and shifting into 4th gear.  Pic f my current touring setup:

Q4jPlmI.jpg

Ken, Candy Ass L.D.R. Sleeps 8 hours
(2)2005 FJR1300abs:  230,000 m
2015 FJ-09:  114,000 m (Replaced engine at 106K)

My old setup was Givi E47 Sidebags with a V47 topcase. Took a few trips two-up, and many solo trips, with zero issues. Even with the bike at 130mph it was still smooth. Dont sweat it, its just lawyer garble Yamaha had to throw in for CYA purposes.

Archived