Valve check

jeravoy

A fresh set of data points for the assembled rabble:

I did my 2015 FJ-09's first valve check at 22,112 miles, shortly after purchase.

At that time, 10/12 valves were out of spec or very close to it, and I ended up changing all 12 shims. All clearances ended up at the maximum clearance, or .02mm below. In other words, the exhaust valves ended up at .030 or .028, and the intakes ended up at .020 or .018.

At 47,130 miles (25,018 miles after the first check), I was quite surprised and very pleased to find that all the clearances are still in the same range, at or just below the maximum spec. Two of the exhaust valves moved from .030 to .028mm.

I plan to ignore the valve clearances until somewhere around 75,000 to 80,000 miles.

- No, I'm not just putt-putting around. The bike gets lots of high-RPM, high-load street use.

- The air filter was pretty dirty, but flowing fine. I replaced with a fresh OEM air filter. I'd say changing the filter at around 25,000-ish miles is about right. It certainly could have made 30K. 

- The spark plugs were fine. I replaced them with a fresh set. Zero humanly perceptible difference in how it runs.

- The throttle body sync was just the slightest teensiest bit out of kilter. This was corrected, and also didn't seem to make any difference. When I synced the TBs at the first valve check, they were out of sync quite a bit more, and syncing them properly really did make a difference.

- I changed the coolant as well, of course. Brake fluid is changed every two years in February when there's nothing else to do...

- Chain and sprockets were also changed at 22K, and are still in fantastic condition with little wear and no adjustments needed since install. (EK ZVX3 ZX-ring chain in gold with JT sprockets, in case you're wondering). I fully expect to get 30-35,000 easily out of this chain and sprockets.

- The bike came to me with a shagged front and a fresh rear Dunlop RoadSmart III. I replaced the front right away, and in sum, I've worn out four sets of these in the last 25,000 miles. The set that's on the bike is technically still legal for a little longer, but will get replaced tonight with a set of Dunlop Mutants so everything is just right for an upcoming trip.

6,000 - 8,000 miles on a set of tires is actually pretty darn good for me. I tend to get much worse mileage than most, and I don't ride them down to the cords. 

• Thumbsup 2

Red 2015 FJ-09, among other things. Co-Host of The Riding Obsession, a Sport-Touring Motorcycling Podcast

16 hours ago, bwringer said:

A fresh set of data points for the assembled rabble:

I did my 2015 FJ-09's first valve check at 22,112 miles, shortly after purchase.

At that time, 10/12 valves were out of spec or very close to it, and I ended up changing all 12 shims. All clearances ended up at the maximum clearance, or .02mm below. In other words, the exhaust valves ended up at .030 or .028, and the intakes ended up at .020 or .018.

At 47,130 miles (25,018 miles after the first check), I was quite surprised and very pleased to find that all the clearances are still in the same range, at or just below the maximum spec. Two of the exhaust valves moved from .030 to .028mm.

I plan to ignore the valve clearances until somewhere around 75,000 to 80,000 miles.

- No, I'm not just putt-putting around. The bike gets lots of high-RPM, high-load street use.

- The air filter was pretty dirty, but flowing fine. I replaced with a fresh OEM air filter. I'd say changing the filter at around 25,000-ish miles is about right. It certainly could have made 30K. 

- The spark plugs were fine. I replaced them with a fresh set. Zero humanly perceptible difference in how it runs.

- The throttle body sync was just the slightest teensiest bit out of kilter. This was corrected, and also didn't seem to make any difference. When I synced the TBs at the first valve check, they were out of sync quite a bit more, and syncing them properly really did make a difference.

- I changed the coolant as well, of course. Brake fluid is changed every two years in February when there's nothing else to do...

- Chain and sprockets were also changed at 22K, and are still in fantastic condition with little wear and no adjustments needed since install. (EK ZVX3 ZX-ring chain in gold with JT sprockets, in case you're wondering). I fully expect to get 30-35,000 easily out of this chain and sprockets.

- The bike came to me with a shagged front and a fresh rear Dunlop RoadSmart III. I replaced the front right away, and in sum, I've worn out four sets of these in the last 25,000 miles. The set that's on the bike is technically still legal for a little longer, but will get replaced tonight with a set of Dunlop Mutants so everything is just right for an upcoming trip.

6,000 - 8,000 miles on a set of tires is actually pretty darn good for me. I tend to get much worse mileage than most, and I don't ride them down to the cords. 

This is good information and sort of what I expected at the second inspection.  My first check was much like yours, done at 22,000 miles and all but a couple of valves needing shims.  I also plan on extending the second inspection a bit beyond the regular interval.

On the other hand, I have a 2013 Ninja 1000.  Most guys on the Ninja 1000 forum found everything pretty much within spec at the first interval of 16,000 miles.  Based on the information I gathered, I skipped the first inspection until 32,000 miles and there were only a few valves that needed to be shimmed.  At 46,000 miles the bike still runs great with no issues.  Would NEVER do this on the CP3 engine based on what I know.  

Edited by johnmark101
  • Thumbsup 3
  • Like 1

There is nothing like spending a day riding with friends in the grip of a shared obsession.

• Premium Member

I think I've noted this before but on my first check at about 20, 000 all but a couple of the intakes were tight very tight 

Just for yuck's I went in and did another one 15,000 or so Miles later and either I missed it or another couple of intake and one exhaust needed tweaking

So 20 + 15 = 35 then at about 45k all was well, then knowing it'd be a while after and having the procedure down to a couple hours, at approximately 57k again all were still in the high end where I last left.

At it less than 10 grand more on my final ride before the full monty it was hunky dory but at a stop it was hard to to tell over the presumably Gronk racket.

The question is will the gronk cause any damage near and or long-term and do I thus not or should fix it