Service Manual?

• Supporting Member
On 3/2/2017 at 8:08 PM, xcsp said:

Anyone have experience with the Tech Spark Studio service manuals?

For anyone wondering, it still works even after removing Adobe Flash.

• Thumbsup 1

2015 FJ-09 / FJR touring bags / oil plug mod / Evotech rad guard / SW Motech bash plate / VStream touring windshield / Seat Concepts:  Sport Touring / Vcyclenut ABS rings (speedo correction) / Cosmo RAM mount

• Premium Member
9 hours ago, petshark said:

I'm surprised that no one ever mentions the Haynes manual here.

I did, like six posts ago.
I have the Haynes manual, it is good. Although when I bought mine I don't think you could find the factory manual for under $100. If the Haynes manual is $35 and the factory manual is $40 I'd probably just get the factory one.

• Thumbsup 1

• Premium Member

I got my from Walmart of all places (online order) - factory manual for $35 2 years ago..

2015 FJ-09 - Andreani Cartridges, Ohlins 535 Rear Shock, LightTech Chain Adjusters, Yoshi Fender Eliminator, Blaster-X Integrated Tail Light/Blinkers,  Full Yoshi Exhaust, Ivan's Flash, Bagster Seat, Rizoma: (Bar, Grips, Bar Ends, Mirrors, Oil Cap, Rear Pegs) Bremob Corsa Corta Master Cylinder, Bremob RCS19 Hadraulic Clutch, GPR Steering Damper, Speigler Hydraulic Lines, EBC Brake Pads, Puig Screen, HealTech Quick Shifter, MPG Rearset, XSR900 Slipper Clutch, Driven Racing Halo Gas Cap, SW-Motch Front / Rear Axel Sliders,  R1 Rotors / 320mm Kit Conversion. 

2 hours ago, keithu said:

I did, like six posts ago.
I have the Haynes manual, it is good. Although when I bought mine I don't think you could find the factory manual for under $100. If the Haynes manual is $35 and the factory manual is $40 I'd probably just get the factory one.

My bad, I didn't see that. I was told by a very experienced mechanic said that Haynes often is better than the factory manual. More logical and detailed.. It was a British mechanic so I'm not sure if it was unbiased as Haynes is also British. 🙂

I find the Yamaha factory manual hard to navigate but I'm sure that once I've done a few more jobs I will get better at it. It could also be because it's a pdf that the sections seems unlogical to me. I want to buy a hard copy but am still undecided if the Haynes might be better.

14 minutes ago, petshark said:

My bad, I didn't see that. I was told by a very experienced mechanic said that Haynes often is better than the factory manual. More logical and detailed.. It was a British mechanic so I'm not sure if it was unbiased as Haynes is also British. 🙂

I find the Yamaha factory manual hard to navigate but I'm sure that once I've done a few more jobs I will get better at it. It could also be because it's a pdf that the sections seems unlogical to me. I want to buy a hard copy but am still undecided if the Haynes might be better.

Maybe modern Haynes manuals are different, but they were notorious for being incorrect and skipping necessary complex steps back in the day. 

I've got a stack of Haynes and Chilton manuals for a variety of older cars and bikes, and their really terrible quality black and white photos and random inaccuracies give me nightmares.  

Of course, leaps and bounds better than nothing, though. 

• Thumbsup 1

On 3/23/2021 at 10:12 PM, Wintersdark said:

Maybe modern Haynes manuals are different, but they were notorious for being incorrect and skipping necessary complex steps back in the day. 

I've got a stack of Haynes and Chilton manuals for a variety of older cars and bikes, and their really terrible quality black and white photos and random inaccuracies give me nightmares.  

Of course, leaps and bounds better than nothing, though. 

Oh wow, that is a totally different story. Thanks for letting me now.

22 hours ago, Heli ATP said:

Considering the electronic version of the Haynes onto an iPad for use during service. Anyone tried it?

I would also be very interested in any first hand experience with this specific manual.

On 3/23/2021 at 8:55 PM, petshark said:

I find the Yamaha factory manual hard to navigate but I'm sure that once I've done a few more jobs I will get better at it. It could also be because it's a pdf that the sections seems unlogical to me.

I print out the pages that I use the most and keep them in a file, in plastic wallets so I can use them in the garage with dirty fingers.

• Thumbsup 2

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)