What did you do to your FJ-tracer-gt today?

• Supporting Member

New T32 replacing a well worn S22 w just over 10k miles...😲

image.thumb.jpeg.64e31dc95072cc34fc18230bb08261ed.jpeg

• Confused 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Supporting Member
2 minutes ago, betoney said:

well worn

Well worn indeed.  Looks like you’ve had some fun over the last 10K miles!  😀

• Like 1

• Supporting Member
32 minutes ago, texscottyd said:

Well worn indeed.  Looks like you’ve had some fun over the last 10K miles!  😀

While on my last road trip I could definitely feel the worn tire affecting the handling but yes, some AMAZING roads.

A set of T32's cost me $408 with free shipping, thankfully Bridgestone was offering a $60 rebate.

• Thumbsup 1

• Premium Member

Woa

10k from an S22 is phenomenal, isn't it?!!!

I don't get that from a T32!

Is it because only getting between 6.7 and max 8k and flat spotting, or worse, suddenly seeing chords in that 1,300 mile window go hand in hand with my low gas mileage?

I've had that window through a set of T31 followed by 2 more sets consecutively of T32.

Gee, I just realised that being easily & routinely being able to average 80+ mph for 140 miles going to and fro our comparatively pathetic "twisties" could negatively affect (effect?) my mileage. 

Top speed can "safely" exceed 120 mph for miles on our conviently at times minimally trafficed interstates.

If I feel up to it.

But I'm a chicken after a mile, more due to fear for my license than my excessive p = mv, rather more like one would think a concern my magnitude and direction deviating from a positive high vector as expressed in metric as kg•m/s or in imperial by #•m/s.

Still with me?

If you do, you either have a need for speed because life to has more meaning and trueĺy begins at 140 mph on two wheels.

Or, more like me, you also gave up drag racing in your youth for road racing, and now can't accept nearing old age and choosing to forget it possibly not being a mature and smart thing for just a brief cheap thrill.

Seriously?

Am I being too esoteric?

I think my epiphany has answered why I may get poor gas mileage. 

Anyone agree?

Sounds logical.

It's really difficult to hold back on our extensively straight & flat and just completely renovated superslabs when it seems the Man is stretched too thin on them north of Chicago up to the border with Cheesehead Land.

And in the Land of Cheese (Cali actually produces more) the Lokal Yokals seem fewer and farther between.

Have others also observed a similar scenario in their microclimate?

BTW, During Covid I got a set of T32 for $230, and Road 5 & RS3 for under 300 after rebates & one wacky added discount.  Before that I glomed a set of S22 for just over $200.

Was that all a fluke, or have things got a lot worse since the 2nd quarter of 23?

Luckily 3 of my 5 bikes run the universal 120/70 & 180/55 17s so I'm set through 25.

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
5 hours ago, 2and3cylinders said:

Woa

10k from an S22 is phenomenal, isn't it?!!!

I don't get that from a T32!

Is it because only getting between 6.7 and max 8k and flat spotting, or worse, suddenly seeing chords in that 1,300 mile window go hand in hand with my low gas mileage?

I've had that window through a set of T31 followed by 2 more sets consecutively of T32.

Gee, I just realised that being easily & routinely being able to average 80+ mph for 140 miles going to and fro our comparatively pathetic "twisties" could negatively affect (effect?) my mileage.

Yes, this one got 10,008 miles.  As mentioned handling was noticeably affected while on my California trip.  I have never seen the cords on a front tire, the handling gets terrible LONG before then.

I think you answered your question about fuel economy, my GPS shows trip data for each ride, a lot of my riding is sweeping curves through farmland and curvy mountain highways and speeds always get into mid-80's at times -but not sustained.  My speeds sometimes get to mid-90's briefly -usually during an overtake but I never exceed 100mph anymore.  High speed does absolutely nothing for me anymore, I've had had so many phenomenal rides setting the cruise at 70-75mph and enjoying the scenery but when I get to the curves I definitely drop 2 gears and wick it up... I discovered this road while out riding yesterday.

image.thumb.jpeg.117f2481640d14adb1144b87b21babb1.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.3595558992bdcdf43b1d6005be0d17d7.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.7e4b78fd7cb502f228b226214850d998.jpeg

• Thumbsup 3

On Wednesday, my office was closed, so I went for a ride on the twistiest roads northern Utah has to offer. I got a new lid, so needed to give it a test run. The Dunlop Mutants are fantastic. The grip is great, even in lower-traction situations (gravel on road, wet and cold, etc.). I am starting to get the "5-year itch" and looking at other bikes, but when I'm out ripping through the canyons here, the itch goes away for a while...

AP1GczNOTGxCaJaz4m3n5PBIwJq_M5NEzzF9e4x4

AP1GczO671CioD1P7-jyKdq9A0fx3UInbFLmWoUg

I finally crossed 30k miles. I was hoping to do that sooner, but last year was not a good year for riding :( 

AP1GczNIsiLnrA1u7N0ieDQZgOnInjVyc2pWhfbp

• Thumbsup 4

• Supporting Member
10 minutes ago, draco_1967 said:

On Wednesday, my office was closed, so I went for a ride on the twistiest roads northern Utah has to offer.

Please share a link in Google maps, I may be through there in 2025 and always looking for twisty roads - if they are in the mountains then even better.

• Premium Member

B-Man

Those images actually look very much like the Wisconsin ABC Rustic Roads I seek out on my Day Rides that usually don't exceed 250 to 300 miles round trip including the sustained high speed 140+ freeway/ toll road miles I get grins and giggles on to stay sane.

If you can calculate how many such Day Rides I've soujurned to accumulate since 2016 my Fastest Reds 65,000 miles, and before that the 111,00+ on my VTR1000F.   That's a lot of saddle time and days.

https://wisconsindot.gov/pages/travel/road/rustic-roads/default.aspx#:~:text=To avoid confusion with the,installing Rustic Roads marking signs.

I'm by no means condoning my actions but I' certainly not a 70 year old Squid!

ATGATT including my Hit-Air and a well maintained bike and road allow a high confidence  level that my custom on every ride of "Breaking a Ton" that  gives me a little spark that proves Im alive can be repeated.  If some day I don't feel comfortable doing it I'll stop.

I think I've also mentioned that I make a concerted effort to slow way down and see, smell, feel and above all, appreciate the microclimate I travel through. 

Just "glom" and "be one" with machine and nature.

Our fast paced lives must be more balanced with a slower pace so nothing is missed while we're on the third rock from the sun...

20240617_100506.jpg

• Like 1

8 hours ago, betoney said:

Please share a link in Google maps, I may be through there in 2025 and always looking for twisty roads - if they are in the mountains then even better.

This was the short loop I did Wednesday: https://maps.app.goo.gl/dtYoPUUEHewTPVbv9. The roads are very tight and twisty, and the views are beautiful in early summer or fall.

There are several good roads around though: 

Wolf Creek Pass: https://maps.app.goo.gl/4ceunyqNFGoV28h76

Mirror Lake Hwy and Monte Cristo: https://maps.app.goo.gl/kUv4Zwv6CUk49V8u7

East Canyon: https://maps.app.goo.gl/eNzU6T7Hx9cbCaAZ8

There are lots of other little roads that can connect things together. If you are in southern Utah for the national parks, you must ride the length of Highway 12! Throw in the stretch of 24 through Fruita and Capitol Reef too: https://maps.app.goo.gl/SCpoJpkHT47ZGudS8

• Thanks 1

• Supporting Member
2 hours ago, draco_1967 said:

This was the short loop I did Wednesday: https://maps.app.goo.gl/dtYoPUUEHewTPVbv9. The roads are very tight and twisty, and the views are beautiful in early summer or fall.

There are several good roads around though: 

Wolf Creek Pass: https://maps.app.goo.gl/4ceunyqNFGoV28h76

Mirror Lake Hwy and Monte Cristo: https://maps.app.goo.gl/kUv4Zwv6CUk49V8u7

East Canyon: https://maps.app.goo.gl/eNzU6T7Hx9cbCaAZ8

There are lots of other little roads that can connect things together. If you are in southern Utah for the national parks, you must ride the length of Highway 12! Throw in the stretch of 24 through Fruita and Capitol Reef too: https://maps.app.goo.gl/SCpoJpkHT47ZGudS8

Thank You for the links.  I have researched a few of those and hope to incorporate some of them into a route for a future road trip, though it keeps evolving.  The plan started as a ride to the Continental Divide in Colorado and has somehow morphed into adding a 'slight detour' South through Utah and into Arizona to include Marble Canyon, Page/Horseshoe Bend and Monument Valley... 🤷‍♂️

I have ridden Highway 12 and 24 through Escalante and Hanksville, Loved it  I also thought 89 from Logan to Garden City was stunning.

https://maps.app.goo.gl/MLRf3kfYrSQkPFkr9

• Supporting Member

Oil and filter change and air filter service due.

This was only 4,500 miles of use, I service my air filter with every oil change and they always have at least this much debris.

image.thumb.jpeg.cde05b03cc6062f9c042c62b244094f5.jpeg

I lightly tapped out the loose bigger pieces, plenty of insects and smaller debris still in there.

image.thumb.jpeg.8b4112534ed70a0e47b5a1b934c0ddc4.jpeg

I know many don't enjoy getting under the tank (or have never attempted it) but DON'T wait until the recommended 24k mile point to replace/check/service your air filter.

• Like 1

• Supporting Member
3 hours ago, betoney said:

I service my air filter with every oil change... DON'T wait until the recommended 24k mile point to replace/check/service your air filter.

Agree... 24K miles is uncomfortably long... but every 4.5K miles?. That's excessive IMO. The OEM filer clearly has some capacity before it becomes out-of-spec. Maybe the K&N recommends differently... 🤔

canada.gif.22c5f8bdb95643b878d06c336f5fe29f.gif

• Supporting Member
1 minute ago, piotrek said:

every 4.5K miles?. That's excessive IMO

The OEM filer clearly has some capacity before it becomes out-of-spec. Maybe the K&N recommends differently... 🤔

Nothing to do with manufacturer recommendations, I base it on how much debris gets in there in a short time.  I don't feel comfortable letting it go further before servicing it considering how much gets in there within 5,000 miles.

When you ride, consider how many bugs are on your screen or face shield, a portion of those are going into your airbox as well.  Every time I remove body panels there are tons of leaves and insects stuck in all of the cracks and crevices.

Light ‘em up! 

Today I finished a series of lighting upgrades I have been working on - I wasn’t satisfied with the front or rear lighting from a ‘get noticed by other distracted drivers’ perspective. Up front, I installed a set of Denali DRLs, attached to the SW-Motech crash bars, and wired thru a Hi-Off-Low switch.  They are super bright and help the bike stand out quite well. Plus, I run the headlight on hi beam all the time during the day.

In the back, I wanted yellow marker lights as well as turn signals, just like the front, so I bought a pair of OEM front signal stalks and put them in the rear, with the marker lights wired in as well.

On my Givi trunk, I installed an Admore lighting LED kit made for the V47 trunk, it provides red tail and brake lights, and yellow signal lights in the upper half of the trunk. I also bought a couple red LED strips for the lower half of the trunk and wired them in as well.

Many years ago, I built a white/orange LED flasher bar for under the license plate (it was on my old C14 for when I did Motorcycle Safety Crew work for bicycle charity events). Since I still had it, I mounted that as well. So, I am done with lighting work for a while… on to other things!

DRLs.jpg

Tail lights & yellow marker lights.jpg

Brake and blinker.jpg

Plate flashers.jpg

• Thumbsup 1
  • Like 1

• Supporting Member

@Tim Anderson Maybe I missed it but do you also have a brake light flasher?  When you hit the brakes, they strobe a few times before going solid, riders I have ridden with say the strobe really catches their attention.