What did you do to your FJ-tracer-gt today?

I'm just reading this thread because my inseam is 30. I touch the ground making contact with my toes. I can't imagine how a beginner could cope with this....anyway, If anybody give me the quick down and dirty on strategies for nitigating this I would appreciate it.

thanks

Richard

• Supporting Member
36 minutes ago, arthur said:

I'm just reading this thread because my inseam is 30. I touch the ground making contact with my toes. I can't imagine how a beginner could cope with this....anyway, If anybody give me the quick down and dirty on strategies for nitigating this I would appreciate it.

thanks

Richard

I have ridden dirt bikes all of my life until last year.  There is no way you can get both feet down, the seat height on full sized bikes is over 38" and I always added a taller seat for better seat to peg distance. 

The trick is to slide your butt off to one side when you stop, one foot on the ground and one foot on the foot peg.  I am so used this method, I use it on the street as well.  Even with a 34" inseam I never have both feet on the ground.

Racer riding blue and white dirt bike | ClipStock

• Thumbsup 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

PXL_20230630_051902635.thumb.jpg.9a592e92ea7e75fcbad5e93030a861b3.jpg

Got the last clutch basket Partzilla had.  I've been waffling about fixing the gronk for some time, but kept putting it off... Then I noticed the "Quantity Remaining: 1" shortly after a conversation with some riding buddies about how crazy hard it is to get parts these days, as once things are out of stock they don't always return.  

So I guess it's about oil change time anyways, time to make the Skylift earn it's keep.

• Thumbsup 1

I did my seat slope butchering experiment.  Removed the seat cover, cut down about 1/2" around the rear ridge of the seat foam then tapered the foam to the nose of the seat, and stapled the cover back on.  I've ridden a couple of hours on it and I'd say it's 70%.  Could have cut more but didn't want to go too far.  Easier to cut more than it is to try and add it back.  😉

seat.jpg

• Thumbsup 4

There is never enough time or money to do it right the first time.

• Supporting Member
8 hours ago, Wintersdark said:

Got the last clutch basket Partzilla had.  I've been waffling about fixing the gronk for some time, but kept putting it off... Then I noticed the "Quantity Remaining: 1" shortly after a conversation with some riding buddies about how crazy hard it is to get parts these days, as once things are out of stock they don't always return.  

So I guess it's about oil change time anyways, time to make the Skylift earn it's keep.

Did the base level Tracer come with the slip/assist clutch?  If not then now would be the perfect time to upgrade. 

https://www.partshark.com/product/53311/xsr900-slipper-clutch-for-fz-09

Like everything, the price has gone up about 40% since I bought mine back in '17.

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, betoney said:

Did the base level Tracer come with the slip/assist clutch?  If not then now would be the perfect time to upgrade. 

Like everything, the price has gone up about 40% since I bought mine back in '17.

Yeh! ++ in 16

But I think we use the same basket. By the time they made it the tracer, it came with a s/a clutch 

And I believe that basket's been updated as well.

Oddly, I don't use it much. It's more if I make a mistake. It's a safety device.

5 hours ago, betoney said:

Dunno, but I've got a 2019 GT, which definitely did come with the slipper clutch

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
1 minute ago, Wintersdark said:

Dunno, but I've got a 2019 GT, which definitely did come with the slipper clutch

OK, never mind then.  For some reason I thought you had the base level Tracer (non GT) that they offered in '19.

• Supporting Member

Mounted a set of Dunlop Mutant tires to try on my trip to Florida next week. Favourable reviews and the price was okay. Will scrub them in a bit over the next few days and it's go time. 😎

20230630_184717.thumb.jpg.2e3f1e9b49e13ea5b7abe29787931acf.jpg

• Thumbsup 3

canada.gif.22c5f8bdb95643b878d06c336f5fe29f.gif

Most manufactures no longer use die release compounds, it is usually the smooth die surface that creates a shiny tyre surface and doesn't mean it will be slippery.

But good practice is to always scrub in your tyres gradually.

• Thumbsup 2