What did you do to your FJ-tracer-gt today?

So, I wanted a lower bar but didn't want to go through the trouble of mounting a new bar (heated grips, new holes for controls etc.) so I decided on getting shorter bar risers.

Lots of looking around and ended up getting these.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Universial-Tall-Motorcycle-Bar-Handlebar-Mounts-Riser-Clamp-Oversize-1-1-8/401088860713?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

Had to swap out the supplied M12 bolts for SS hex head M10's so as to avoid drilling larger holes in my top fork clamp. I always like to make sure things can always go back to stock just in case.

Anyway, lots of adjustments and some bolt swaps for the risers and steering damper later and here it is. About 28mm lower and just enough clearance from wires and cables. An added bonus is the key is much easier to get to now.

bxEmxwZ.jpg
aKMljnJ.jpg
5dBC9t7.jpg
kHbmguf.jpg
hkX0PU1.jpg

• Premium Member
I'm almost to the wear bars of my third back tire too. And this was a Angel ST. Second front still looks new though...
Now this is more like my problem.  
I'm hard on rear tires, I'm not a small guy so I'm sure that doesn't help.

2015 Stealth Grey FJ-09 Pilot
Base of Operations: Chesterfield, VA
Farkels? Lots, nothing flashy, but all functional...

• Supporting Member
@cuff - Very nicely done. I am looking to do something similar, and was planning to machine about an inch off the bottom of a spare set of factory risers. But this is probably a much cleaner way... the only thing you would give up is the slight front-to-rear adjustability with the factory riser’s offset centerline.

It’s funny that I have an identical set of those risers already mounted on my thumper build project. Sometimes the answer is just staring you right in the face... :)

@cuff - Very nicely done. I am looking to do something similar, and was planning to machine about an inch off the bottom of a spare set of factory risers. But this is probably a much cleaner way... the only thing you would give up is the slight front-to-rear adjustability with the factory riser’s offset centerline.  
It’s funny that I have an identical set of those risers already mounted on my thumper build project. Sometimes the answer is just staring you right in the face... smiley.png
Thanks for that.  I too was thinking of taking off a little from the stock risers and even looked for some on eBay but there are only two there that I could find.  They wanted a little more than I hoped to spend on an 'experiment' if it didn't work out. You may be interested to know these risers do in fact have some adjustment front to back like the stock risers.  The mounting hole is offset about 10mm form the centre line. 

• Supporting Member
You may be interested to know these risers do in fact have some adjustment front to back like the stock risers.  The mounting hole is offset about 10mm form the centre line. 
Oh really? That sounds about perfect then... essentially the same fore & aft adjustment options as stock, but a bit over an inch overall lower height. I like!

Question: Did you end up putting a sleeve in the riser to compensate for the smaller diameter bolt, or was it close enough with the hex socket head to not be a concern?

I stand corrected on my earlier statement: I have a set of Tag Metal dirt bike risers on my Raptor/Interceptor project, to put a fat bar on the 954 forks and billet upper triple clamp. They wouldn’t be tall enough to work for this application on the FJ.

Great information, @cuff! Very much appreciate you sharing the knowledge.

You may be interested to know these risers do in fact have some adjustment front to back like the stock risers.  The mounting hole is offset about 10mm form the centre line. 
Oh really? That sounds about perfect then... essentially the same fore & aft adjustment options as stock, but a bit over an inch overall lower height. I like!  
Question: Did you end up putting a sleeve in the riser to compensate for the smaller diameter bolt, or was it close enough with the hex socket head to not be a concern?

I stand corrected on my earlier statement: I have a set of Tag Metal dirt bike risers on my Raptor/Interceptor project, to put a fat bar on the 954 forks and billet upper triple clamp. They wouldn’t be tall enough to work for this application on the FJ.

Great information, @cuff ! Very much appreciate you sharing the knowledge.
No worries.  Love tinkering and sharing info. The two SS hex head M10 bolts I had fit snug and directly into the pocket of the riser.  No need for any sleeve as the bolt head keeps it centered in the hole.  I'm sure most bolts will fit and if not a little grinding will work.

• Premium Member
F79-E199-A-6-B45-4-B6-F-A3-F3-3205-DD7921-AC.jpg

this happened. Oh Yamaha, why not just contract these folks out and let them make your chain adjusters?  Not only are the stock ones crappy, they are about impossible to get right and therefor a pain to boot. $120 well spent. 

2015 FJ-09 - Andreani Cartridges, Ohlins 535 Rear Shock, LightTech Chain Adjusters, Yoshi Fender Eliminator, Blaster-X Integrated Tail Light/Blinkers,  Full Yoshi Exhaust, Ivan's Flash, Bagster Seat, Rizoma: (Bar, Grips, Bar Ends, Mirrors, Oil Cap, Rear Pegs) Bremob Corsa Corta Master Cylinder, Bremob RCS19 Hadraulic Clutch, GPR Steering Damper, Speigler Hydraulic Lines, EBC Brake Pads, Puig Screen, HealTech Quick Shifter, MPG Rearset, XSR900 Slipper Clutch, Driven Racing Halo Gas Cap, SW-Motch Front / Rear Axel Sliders,  R1 Rotors / 320mm Kit Conversion. 

this happened. Oh Yamaha, why not just contract these folks out and let them make your chain adjusters?  Not only are the stock ones crappy, they are about impossible to get right and therefor a pain to boot. $120 well spent. 
what brand are they.  look nice.

• Premium Member
what brand are they.  look nice.
Gilles Tooling. 

2015 FJ-09 - Andreani Cartridges, Ohlins 535 Rear Shock, LightTech Chain Adjusters, Yoshi Fender Eliminator, Blaster-X Integrated Tail Light/Blinkers,  Full Yoshi Exhaust, Ivan's Flash, Bagster Seat, Rizoma: (Bar, Grips, Bar Ends, Mirrors, Oil Cap, Rear Pegs) Bremob Corsa Corta Master Cylinder, Bremob RCS19 Hadraulic Clutch, GPR Steering Damper, Speigler Hydraulic Lines, EBC Brake Pads, Puig Screen, HealTech Quick Shifter, MPG Rearset, XSR900 Slipper Clutch, Driven Racing Halo Gas Cap, SW-Motch Front / Rear Axel Sliders,  R1 Rotors / 320mm Kit Conversion. 

• Premium Member

Just ordered a set. I’ve been searching for a while too and this post sold me on these. Can’t go wrong with a $27 experiment. For me when I added the GPR stabilizer it also added about 1/4” to handlebar height. So for me to bring the height down is key. 

• Premium Member
I did a 600 mile loop to west Tennessee and back. Some of the time it was cold. A lot of the time it was wet and rainy. For a bit of the time it was foggy...... the whole time it was glorious.

Let’s go Brandon

Just ordered a set. I’ve been searching for a while too and this post sold me on these. Can’t go wrong with a $27 experiment. For me when I added the GPR stabilizer it also added about 1/4” to handlebar height. So for me to bring the height down is key. 
Just remember with the lower height it will take some fiddling to avoid contact between cables, wires and the hand guards if you still have them on.  You can also add one or two washers under the risers if needed as well.  I don't think you'll be disappointed though and like you said, at that price there really is no risk.  Solid construction on these but like I said, I did replace some bolts with higher grade SS.