What did you do to your FJ-tracer-gt today?

Do you always run high-octane fuel? Do you rev it high on a regular basis? I had a BMW K75S that had valve recession. I ran 87 octane fuel, and I wonder if that was the culprit. I only run high octane in the FJ, just in case - high octane fuel is cheaper than a valve job. 

Yep, I run only 93 Octane (US). I do ride it hard too. I daily commute and the metered on-ramps get treated like mini-drag trees.  I even did a 600 mile round trip out of state on a week day a couple weeks ago and followed a couple of sports cars cruising at low triple digits.  I'm not easy on the motorcycle, but I do all services on schedule and lube the chain every couple hundred miles.  Original chain and sprockets still look great at 16k miles.

The good news is the valves were all in spec with no issues.

Thanks for the reply. I treat my bike similarly to yours. I always suspected the low octane fuel might have been a culprit in the K75's receding valves, so when I read that receding valves may be an issue on the FJs I resolved to always run high octane in an effort to stave that off. It may be a load of bunk, but an ounce of prevention, as they say.. 

Thanks for the reply. I treat my bike similarly to yours. I always suspected the low octane fuel might have been a culprit in the K75's receding valves, so when I read that receding valves may be an issue on the FJs I resolved to always run high octane in an effort to stave that off. It may be a load of bunk, but an ounce of prevention, as they say.. 
I have always ran 91... valves were very tight when checked at 37,000 km. I kinda wonder whether the stealers actually check when asked. If the bike appears to be running well (as mine was)... who would question it? I didn't... but there I was, replacing shims. huh.png

I have found most dealership have 3 lvls of "general service" Bronze, Silver or Gold which they apply by the bikes miles... I actually had to call the local service dept(I had a copy of the services I wanted performed) out because I specified I wanted my FZ-07 valves checked earlier than normal based on the manual and they never did it because my miles fell under the "Silver" service- the service manager didnt know I had a copy of the services I wanted done and therefore was forced to pay me back 100% for "silver service" I didnt ask for...Babbits( Same as Babbits Online) lost me(others) as a customer- I dont even refer ppl to Babbits for anything- just beware and ask for a copy of the services you ask for when you drop the bike off so they cant "pull a fast one" ...
2012 wr250f - C-class 30+ age group
2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition-80whp
2015 fj-09- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich tune by 2WDW @120whp

Today I've spent quite a lot of my money on some Swedish suspension upgrades.

Front, nix30 cartridges with custom springs.
Rear, stx46 with remote preload and detached reservoir.

Should work great, hope it does.

Honda CB600F Hornet 2008; KTM LC4 640 SM Prestige 2007; Kawasaki Z1000 2007; Honda CB1000R 2010; BMW R1200GS 2010; Yamaha Tracer 900GT 2018; Yamaha TDM900 2002; Kawasaki KLX230 2020; KTM 690 Enduro R 2022: Bold = current

• Supporting Member
Prepare to be amazed, and fall in love with your FJ all over again. :)

Congrats on taking the plunge. I’m anxious to hear your feedback & impressions.

I've only payed today. It won't arrive until the end of December or in case of cartridges in January 2019.
I'll report in spring about my new springs smiley.png

Honda CB600F Hornet 2008; KTM LC4 640 SM Prestige 2007; Kawasaki Z1000 2007; Honda CB1000R 2010; BMW R1200GS 2010; Yamaha Tracer 900GT 2018; Yamaha TDM900 2002; Kawasaki KLX230 2020; KTM 690 Enduro R 2022: Bold = current

• Supporting Member
Prepare to be amazed, and fall in love with your FJ all over again. smiley.png 

Agree 100%. 
Suspension is something I budget for with every bike I own.  The initial cash outlay is expensive but the return on your money with improved performance and control is priceless. 

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Prepare to be amazed, and fall in love with your FJ all over again. smiley.png 

Agree 100%.  Suspension is something I budget for with every bike I own.  The initial cash outlay is expensive but the return on your money with improved performance and control is priceless. 
I went with the Nitron adventure shock rear and Matt's upgraded forks with the adjusters on top of the forks. Confidence inspiring is the name of the game. I used to feel when the bike was reaching 70 mph because of the light vibration. 80 mph was an adventure. Now is very stable, vibration and light weight feeling is gone. A bit harsher ride is the only drawback. but I may be able to adjust it out. I have not played with any setting yet.

• Supporting Member
I went with the Nitron adventure shock rear and Matt's upgraded forks.....  A bit harsher ride is the only drawback. but I may be able to adjust it out. I have not played with any setting yet.
Your upgraded suspension should NOT be harsh, you should definitely be able to adjust it to your liking.  To this day, I always ride with a straight slot screwdriver so I can just pull over, make a quick adjustment and be on my way. One suggestion, only make one adjustment at a time, front rebound or rear compression etc. and make small adjustments, like 1-2 clicks so you can feel the difference you are making.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Tensioned / cleaned the chain. There isn't much life left in it. Only 7,000 miles on the stock chain. Boohoo.

Also pulled the cam chain cover to assess how tight my cam chain is (manual CCT).

'15 FJ09

Tensioned / cleaned the chain. There isn't much life left in it. Only 7,000 miles on the stock chain. Boohoo.  
Also pulled the cam chain cover to assess how tight my cam chain is (manual CCT).
I'm at 7,000 and also in need of a new chain. It was lubed every 500 miles, too. 

• Premium Member
I'm at 7,000 and also in need of a new chain. It was lubed every 500 miles, too. 
Gadzooks. Not sure what y'all doing to your chains. 10K on mine and still measures/specs/looks like new.  undecided.png
2015 Stealth Grey FJ-09 Pilot
Base of Operations: Chesterfield, VA
Farkels? Lots, nothing flashy, but all functional...

• Premium Member
Gadzooks. Not sure what y'all doing to your chains. 10K on mine and still measures/specs/looks like new.  undecided.png

16k on mine and the chain and sprockets still look new.   Though... I do a light spray of lube about every 200-300 miles, after weekend day rides and after anytime I ride in the rain.  I clean it when it starts to look dirty, which is rare because all the dirt and grime slings off onto my swing arm and rear wheel B-|      oops.