What did you do to your FJ-tracer-gt today?

IMG-20181012-1543570-rewind-3.jpg

My new Corbin heated seat finally arrived! Got to try it out this morning, temperature in the upper 50's, that heat felt good. Like everyone says, the seat is a little firm. But at least it doesn't feel like I'm sinking through to the hard plastic base like the stock seat. I think it's going to work out fine after a break in period. I got the black Alligator finished leather and I like the looks, but it is slippery, hope it becomes less slippery as it gets some wear on it.

So far I've added the MC Cruise, Yamaha heated grips and rear rack, FJR type rubber topped foot pegs, this Corbin seat and now I'm waiting on a Madstad windshield. I think that's going to do it for add ons for now. Although I do like the looks of that R&G rear fender.

Road in 39° weather this friday morning. (Was a high of 86° Tuesday) The new givi touring windscreen and handgaurd covers work well in 50° not so much under 40°.  Need to order those heated grips. And get a heated seat too.

• Supporting Member
Road in 39° weather this friday morning. (Was a high of 86° Tuesday) The new givi touring windscreen and handgaurd covers work well in 50° not so much under 40°.  Need to order those heated grips. And get a heated seat too.

I have ridden in the 30's many, many times, the oem heated grips are worth their weight in gold but wearing a base layer and riding pants, I have never felt the need to spend money on a heated seat.
I will however, 100% recommended a heated vest to keep your core warm.
I bought this Tourmaster Synergy Vest with heated collar!!  It has 5 heat levels on the heater controller but even when its just above freezing, I have never needed to set it above the first click. - It gets HOT!

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

I have ridden in the 30's many, many times, the oem heated grips are worth their weight in gold but wearing a base layer and riding pants, I have never felt the need to spend money on a heated seat.
I will however, 100% recommended a heated vest to keep your core warm.
I bought this Tourmaster Synergy Vest with heated collar!!  It has 5 heat levels on the heater controller but even when its just above freezing, I have never needed to set it above the first click. - It gets HOT!

I have ridden fully naked bikes in 10° and colder weather with no heated anything. When I was a little younger. Im getting softer as I get older. Im only 33. I work outside. So I'm already layer up. I have tried wired gear before. Im over it. I dont want to deal with wires any more. Thanks for the suggestion I also wont ride in under 30° weather anymore. To many low sides with ice on the road. The water from a rain will run across the road during the day and freeze over night here in indiana quite abit. I may get a battery powered vest though. I were a vest when working quite a bit it does help to have your core warm. Might see about the dewalt jacket and cut the sleeves off .I have a ton of dewlat cordless batteries.

• Premium Member
Drained and replaced the antifreeze and reinstalled the KTM handguards. Thanks to Nathan for his video. I have a shop manual, but a video always helps out. Went for a short ride along the river. Maybe Lake Berryessa and wine country tomorrow.

Drained and replaced the antifreeze and reinstalled the KTM handguards. Thanks to Nathan for his video. I have a shop manual, but a video always helps out. Went for a short ride along the river. Maybe Lake Berryessa and wine country tomorrow.
I do miss the Berryessa GP. Late enough in the season shouldn't be too many boaters and RV's out there. Will you do Knoxville-Berryessa up into lower lake or go around Pope Canyon?

'15 FJ09

• Premium Member
I go around Pope Canyon. Seem to always make the wrong turns. Too many roads with the word Pope in it. Trying to get up to Middletown and then head back down. This time I'll write down the names of the roads.

I go around Pope Canyon. Seem to always make the wrong turns. Too many roads with the word Pope in it. Trying to get up to Middletown and then head back down. This time I'll write down the names of the roads.
They certainly abuse the name "pope" out there. Makes it confusing sometimes.

'15 FJ09

• Premium Member
Had 16,000 mile service done at the dealer.

They checked the valves while they were in there because I mentioned people on the forums getting tight exhaust valves before the 24k mile maintenance and everything was in spec.

They checked the valves while they were in there because I mentioned people on the forums getting tight exhaust valves before the 24k mile maintenance and everything was in spec.
Do you always run high-octane fuel? Do you rev it high on a regular basis? I had a BMW K75S that had valve recession. I ran 87 octane fuel, and I wonder if that was the culprit. I only run high octane in the FJ, just in case - high octane fuel is cheaper than a valve job. 

Well technically I did the work yesterday but tested it today.

Installed the slipper clutch in my 2016. The job was really pretty easy. Only challenge was removing the dimples on the nut before breaking it loose.

This is a great addition for me. I have old and tired hands the reduction in clutch lever pull is fantastic. I also feel like the friction zone on the clutch level is longer and smoother.

I banged it down from 4th gear at about 50 into second gear and the rear wheel behaved itself great.

Love this upgrade!

I installed my Heed crash bars. They blend well with the bike, but are very solid and should offer excellent protection. I also sanded and painted my stator cover that's been damaged since the day I bought the bike. The bars hide the mediocre paint job. I'll also be making some folding highway pegs to add to the bars.36b5e3985d85654392e0d9340a992211.jpgc18c9a68a81094c4fa4b566276d780af.jpg07eb43bc926f57377deef9c9decd20af.jpg7ca906f3d7b86be61f61deed1736e541.jpgb723aadc982738dc28b055ecca85cd0e.jpg

• Premium Member
Do you always run high-octane fuel? Do you rev it high on a regular basis? I had a BMW K75S that had valve recession. I ran 87 octane fuel, and I wonder if that was the culprit. I only run high octane in the FJ, just in case - high octane fuel is cheaper than a valve job. 

Yep, I run only 93 Octane (US). I do ride it hard too. I daily commute and the metered on-ramps get treated like mini-drag trees.  I even did a 600 mile round trip out of state on a week day a couple weeks ago and followed a couple of sports cars cruising at low triple digits.  I'm not easy on the motorcycle, but I do all services on schedule and lube the chain every couple hundred miles.  Original chain and sprockets still look great at 16k miles.

The good news is the valves were all in spec with no issues.