What did you do to your FJ-tracer-gt today?

• Premium Member
Indeed - Added the Andreani cartridges last week.  Love them so far.  Had to pull the compression side and use 2.5 weight fork oil as a temporary fix to the harshness of that side.  Will add the Pattonme kit when the snow flies here in NY.  I know shocks are all subjective, but a big improvement over stock.  I'm adding Yoshi full exhaust tomorrow.

2015 FJ-09 - Andreani Cartridges, Ohlins 535 Rear Shock, LightTech Chain Adjusters, Yoshi Fender Eliminator, Blaster-X Integrated Tail Light/Blinkers,  Full Yoshi Exhaust, Ivan's Flash, Bagster Seat, Rizoma: (Bar, Grips, Bar Ends, Mirrors, Oil Cap, Rear Pegs) Bremob Corsa Corta Master Cylinder, Bremob RCS19 Hadraulic Clutch, GPR Steering Damper, Speigler Hydraulic Lines, EBC Brake Pads, Puig Screen, HealTech Quick Shifter, MPG Rearset, XSR900 Slipper Clutch, Driven Racing Halo Gas Cap, SW-Motch Front / Rear Axel Sliders,  R1 Rotors / 320mm Kit Conversion. 

• Premium Member
Interesting. Thanks for the info. Will def try that. I will say that the GPR damper did not solve the shimmies as I just had them visit me. Still convinced that depending on speed and wind direction the hand guards are causing aero issues at higher speeds. However, the GPR makes the bike feel much better in terms, well not sure how to explain. Just better and more solid. 

2015 FJ-09 - Andreani Cartridges, Ohlins 535 Rear Shock, LightTech Chain Adjusters, Yoshi Fender Eliminator, Blaster-X Integrated Tail Light/Blinkers,  Full Yoshi Exhaust, Ivan's Flash, Bagster Seat, Rizoma: (Bar, Grips, Bar Ends, Mirrors, Oil Cap, Rear Pegs) Bremob Corsa Corta Master Cylinder, Bremob RCS19 Hadraulic Clutch, GPR Steering Damper, Speigler Hydraulic Lines, EBC Brake Pads, Puig Screen, HealTech Quick Shifter, MPG Rearset, XSR900 Slipper Clutch, Driven Racing Halo Gas Cap, SW-Motch Front / Rear Axel Sliders,  R1 Rotors / 320mm Kit Conversion. 

Is this not a false sense of security? Getting rid of a head shake but the front tire still light? I don't really know the reason for the head shake but folks report a cure with new suspension.
I’ve hit 114 indicates several times with cases on and stock windscreen in low. Haven’t experienced any trouble but I have a feeling it’s because I’m 230 without gear lol. I keep the sucker planted!
I was 220 with gear with Givi barn doors, Givi panniers (not full), and a bag on the pinion seat.  Over 80 mph it would start with a light shake.  I purchased new suspension that I hope to install next week and see if it fixes it.

• Supporting Member
Still convinced that depending on speed and wind direction the hand guards are causing aero issues at higher speeds. 
Based on my personal experience, you’re spot on with this belief.

I wrote the following in this thread back in June, after having removed the hand guards from my FJ: “One thing that is absolutely noticeable is a change in high speed stability. From the day it was new, my bike had a minor low frequency oscillation - I would never have called it a speed wobble - at speeds around 110 - 115 mph (professional rider, closed course, don’t try this at home, blah, blah, blah...). The new suspension muted it significantly, but it was still definitely there... not dangerous, not troubling, but noticeable. In the back of my mind, I always thought it was likely an aero issue, presumably since I have the saddle bags on the bike 100% of the time. Well, I can happily report that removing the factory handguards completely cleared up the oscillation issue. I covered over a mile yesterday laid out on the speed governor (don’t judge me) with zero stability concerns. Who would have guessed?“

Saturday was a dreary rainy day. Perfect day for working on the bike

Installed: Yamaha LED front blinkers; Motodynamic integrated tail-light and tidy tail; MT-09 adventure pegs; and grip puppies.

Cleaned, oiled and adjusted chain

Did the first 600 mi oil change

IMG_3710.jpg

IMG_3707_LI.jpg

IMG_3706.jpg

IMG_3708.jpg

• Premium Member
Today I disassembled the rear-facing cosmetic bits on the GIVI E55 Maxia3 trunk, applied reflective tape to the outward faces of the shiny silver sheets that SHOULD have been reflective, and reassembled.  I used the half red/half white Solas look-alike trailer strips (2" x 24") found at the hardware store.  It took 4 of them (pack of 4 was $9).  I put down wax paper on a work bench, rolled cellophane tape to hold the silver sheets down, applied the reflective tape to the silver sheets then flipped them over and trimmed with scissors and a utility blade on a cutting board, removed the wax paper and inserted the sheets back into their original places.  I don't know why I waited several years to do this.  It was easy and effective.  The white bit in the center is about as bright as my license plate, the red is less bright.  Before and after photos, all with flash:

givi_before.png

givi_rear_flash.png

givi_side_flash.png

https://ridemsta.com/oh-tmr/  Riding makes me happy. "Do it or don't do it - you'll regret both." - Soren Kierkegaard

2015 FJ-09, 60k miles, Hord Power ECU, K-Tech suspension, MC Cruise

• Premium Member
Koth beat me to the cartridge comment and I also wanted to say, I noticed the fork caps are pretty close to flush with the triple tree... many of us have pushed the forks up past the triple tree by about 15mm to help out...
2_A0_AB767-7_F09-4891-8258-727_BB480_B0_D2.jpg

does that look correct?

• Premium Member
BCF99_A78-9_A33-46_BF-9679-9_F5468044459.jpg

well this showed up today and I was going to put it on and run without a flash until I had a few days of rain in the forecast so reduce no riding time. Days are limited here in Nee York. Lol. Glad I called Two Wheel Dyno. Those guys know their ship. Asked if I could run the bike without flash for a week or two. Answer is yes, but strongly advised against. So, pipes have to wait till I see at least 2 days of rain in the forests. For those of you in North or South Carolina, sorry for my last rain comment. 

• Premium Member
Still convinced that depending on speed and wind direction the hand guards are causing aero issues at higher speeds. 
Based on my personal experience, you’re spot on with this belief.  
I wrote the following in this thread back in June, after having removed the hand guards from my FJ: “One thing that is absolutely noticeable is a change in high speed stability. From the day it was new, my bike had a minor low frequency oscillation - I would never have called it a speed wobble - at speeds around 110 - 115 mph (professional rider, closed course, don’t try this at home, blah, blah, blah...). The new suspension muted it significantly, but it was still definitely there... not dangerous, not troubling, but noticeable. In the back of my mind, I always thought it was likely an aero issue, presumably since I have the saddle bags on the bike 100% of the time. Well, I can happily report that removing the factory handguards completely cleared up the oscillation issue. I covered over a mile yesterday laid out on the speed governor (don’t judge me) with zero stability concerns. Who would have guessed?“
I'm over here, judging you SO HARD right now. 
giphy.gif

(rofl)
We need to hang out. LOL
2015 Stealth Grey FJ-09 Pilot
Base of Operations: Chesterfield, VA
Farkels? Lots, nothing flashy, but all functional...

• Premium Member
I just hit my speed limiter with zero, and I mean zero shake. Felt like my ZZR 600/ F3 and less like a touring bike. Dropping the front end 15mm was huge. Really planted now with all the changes I have made. 
377_CE0_D7-3_FF5-4_D1_B-_A7_C9-_FF1_D44949909.jpg

• Supporting Member
BCF99_A78-9_A33-46_BF-9679-9_F5468044459.jpg

well this showed up today and I was going to put it on and run without a flash until I had a few days of rain in the forecast so reduce no riding time.

When you get it installed and have a good test ride, please post up your impressions.
A pipe is about the only thing I haven't done to my bike and I am weighing my options.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Premium Member
@trambo - What’s that expression? “Let he who is without sin cast the first artificially-speed-governed stone...” smiley.png 

"Speed governor"... LOL Wut's that? ;)

Oops... 2WDW disabled removed stole mine months ago. Darn it.  8-)
2015 Stealth Grey FJ-09 Pilot
Base of Operations: Chesterfield, VA
Farkels? Lots, nothing flashy, but all functional...

I just hit my speed limiter with zero, and I mean zero shake. Felt like my ZZR 600/ F3 and less like a touring bike. Dropping the front end 15mm was huge. Really planted now with all the changes I have made.  377_CE0_D7-3_FF5-4_D1_B-_A7_C9-_FF1_D44949909.jpg

Yamahas in my experience tend to be slightly rear weight biased- which gives the bikes a slightly disadvantage in high speed stability...so the partial solution is pushing the fork tubes up past the triple tree to help gain some high speed stability...  overall IIRC most of have 10-15mm of fork tube showing to eliminate the "110 shimmy" 
2012 wr250f - C-class 30+ age group
2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition-80whp
2015 fj-09- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich tune by 2WDW @120whp