What did you do to your FJ-tracer-gt today?

• Supporting Member
...Tenere turn signals front and rear...
Oh, I really like that...  I've been following discussions on this for awhile, but think now it's time to actually do it.    
Did you cut the connectors off the stock signals, or wire them in some other way?  

...Tenere turn signals front and rear...
Oh, I really like that...  I've been following discussions on this for awhile, but think now it's time to actually do it.    
Did you cut the connectors off the stock signals, or wire them in some other way?  

I bought new connectors from Custom LED so I could keep the stock signals intact, just in case. 
https://www.customled.com/products/yamaha-oem-turn-signal-connectors-3-wire

At some point soon I'll write up a short "how to" for the wiring since this info is kind of spread out in different places right now. 

The one piece of advice I will give right now is when ordering the signals, do not bother to order a left and a right, just get two lefts (2BS-83310-10-00).

I was lurking on a thread recently that discusses this. I do not believe is plug and play.

'15 FJ09

Painted OEM panniers with (overpriced) rattle can from ColorRite. Tenere turn signals front and rear. 
DBFTIJhUQAAGIJb.jpg
DBFTIJfVYAE9Ap2.jpg
DBFTIJfV0AAVEXx.jpg

Painted panniers look very nice, steve!   I recently asked here if any special prep is need to DIY paint the OE panniers?   Did you find that necessary at all, and if so what?   I'd like to follow suit.Thanks in advance..

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

The Adv Tech bracket is the way to go - I fitted one on my previous Tracer, but the postage is exorbitant, and installing it a real pain as the mounting holes behind the lights in which it's mounted are all but impossible to get at.   I have dainty hands, but the backs of them were black and blue after I'd finished!   Good move to DIY!   But I still cannot work out which bolts under the lights you used to mount the cross-bar!
Looking at their bracket I'd say I have used the same bolts at the back, my second photo shows it the best, silver Allen bolt in the middle goes through a small 90 degree bracket that bolts to the cross brace. Which then also bolts to the back straps from the back of the headlight.A ten mm ratchet spanner is your friend here!
 Thanks, vdu.   I have spent more time lying on my back recently than the average hooker - except that I've been under the front of the bike trying to locate those mounting bolts you mention!   I think I may have found them, highlighted with my rumpled pink arrows - are these indeed the ones?   They appear to have a cuppla rubber anti-vibration (I assume) washers on them - did you bolt the cross-brace directly under the bolt head and on top of the washers, or did the brace go at the bottom of the washers?   It's a good job the LEDs are still on way as it's giving me plenty of time to sort out the mounting points!   I appreciate your help. 
P1030701r.jpg

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

@wordsmith I just wiped them down with some isopropyl alcohol to remove any grease, taped out the pattern and painted them.  No sanding, no primer, didn't even clear coat.

I figured my panniers are going to get beat up so I wasn't didn't want to invest too much effort or expense in the paint.  I may try clear coating them later with some off-the-shelf matte clear, but that's it.

Who knows, the paint may start peeling a few months from now, but I've painted plastic without primer before and have never really had a problem.

The 'glass' screen on the information display has a bit of a record for being very easily scratched: apparently even the gentlest wipe with a gloved hand to brush away light dust collected on a day's ride will mark it!  And as I found out at the weekend, riding in bright sunshine, the reflection can be literally blinding - not a good thing!
As I've done before I fixed both problems by affixing a piece of [strong]glare-resistant film[/strong] that's actually designed for mobile phones.   The slightly matte finish will reduce glare and the film will be more abrasion resistant too.
Since they are transparent and therefore all but invisible I cannot show pix of the two pieces that I bought online for AUD$6.   I ordered to suit a Galaxy S7 screen knowing it to be quite large, and it's a good fit but could usefully be a bit wider, though it will still work perfectly.   Alternatively, the second piece could be cut to fill the 1/2" wide gap, but I preferred to keep the second piece in reserve. 
There's only very light adhesive on the film, which is said to leave no residue when removed.   The film took only moments to apply, and on other installations has proved very useful.

Spent a cuppla pleasant hours fitting the [strong]rear carry-rack[/strong] to the bike, then installing onto that the [strong]support-plate[/strong] to hold the new 28L top-box.

All achieved with minimum effort, except that the carry-rack, despite being beautifully and solidly made with quality fastenings had no installation instructions! Happily, it was mostly intuitive, and I’d done it before, so it was all straightforward.   The cost was AUD$113 post-free from China, and it arrived less than a week after ordering.

The carry-rack and anything secured to it – top-box pictured below, Pelican case, whatever - is clear of the pillion seat, which is important for me as my ageing stiff knees and wonky hip do not take happily to any acrobatics necessary to get on and off the bike.   Having anything strapped to the pillion-seat is a definite no-no here!

For those who like to carry soft gear such as camping equipment that needs to be strapped down you’ll note the six long slots around the edge of the rack that would give plenty of options with straps, ockies, and the like.

The [strong]top-box[/strong] is a small one really intended for scooters but it suits me well enough for a night or two away from home when I don’t want to fit the panniers. It’s well-made and at a cost of only AUD$30 unbeatable value. For locals - <www.thirdgear.com.au>. I’ve dealt with them for years and they are good folks.

P1030705r.jpg

P1030706r.jpg

P1030708r.jpg

P1030709r.jpg

Discovered that on the 2017, the bike starts in the mode you switch it off in, which is apparently not the case on the earlier models?
Definitely not the case on un-flashed earlier models. Switching to A-Mode has become part of starting the bike for me lol.

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

• Premium Member
Discovered that on the 2017, the bike starts in the mode you switch it off in, which is apparently not the case on the earlier models?
Definitely not the case on un-flashed earlier models. Switching to A-Mode has become part of starting the bike for me lol.
A flash setting can change your startup routine, I can't imagine having to switch to A mode every time I start my bike.....