What did you do to your FJ-tracer-gt today?

Any blurriness through the mirrors when using these?  I have the Kuaba (I think that's how it's spelled) which I love but the mirrors do get blurry at times.  Nothing I can't live with.
Brad
Selbyville, DE

Didn’t actually [em]do[/em] anything to the bike today, more an opportunity on a brisk 200km outer-urban/ country circuit to evaluate a few recent additions and tweaks.

The [strong]Grip Puppies[/strong] have increased throttle-grip diameter, and are very comfy for my small-ish hands. As I felt next to no vibration before, the lack of vibes could not be commented on.

Equally with the rubber-topped, longer and wider [strong]foot-pegs[/strong] (FZ6 style). Again, not seeking vibe-reduction since at reasonable cruising speed there's only the tiniest ‘tingle’ (also felt through the OE seat) that's only detectable if seeking it. Not unpleasant. The new ‘pegs made me feel quite a bit more confident in my footing on them, and I feel they’ll be a good buy.

The [strong]mirror risers/ extenders[/strong] – once attended-to on the road as one wanted to move a bit – are excellent, and my rearward vision is about as good as it gets. They are set-up so that there’s the merest sliver of the upper sleeve of my riding jacket showing on the inside edge of each mirror – the rest shows clear road behind. Zero vibes at up to 80kph, minimal vibes between 80 and about 110kph, above that back to very clear and blur-free.

The [strong]Cree front LEDs[/strong] were working, to judge from the tiny red LED switch glowing just in front of me, and I was confident in being highly conspicuous to other road users.   I assume that the rear [strong]Skene hi-viz LED[/strong] lights were also working.

The slimline [strong]LED turn-signals[/strong] seem to flicker more rapidly than the OE ‘pumpkins', and I’m not sure about their brightness and visibility in comparison, as they are pretty small. I’ll evaluate them further over time and may switch back. Looks aren’t everything!

Finally, the [strong]DIY suspension tweaks[/strong] seem to have been effective over all but the worst stretch of broken country bitumen that I struck today. A great improvement over the factory settings, and for the time being at least I’m going to leave well alone. But even with whatever other comfort gains the new yet-to-arrive Bagster seat brings I doubt I’ll be doing any more 1000+km days!

Looking forward to the first 1000km service next week.

[em]Added later - have to comment on the [strong]rear [/strong]brake on the Tracer.   Unlike on almost every other bike I have owned - including some top-spec BMWs, on which I almost felt I had to stomp up and down on the brake pedal to get any reaction -  the Tracer has a pretty good rear brake, I believe.   Plenty of 'bite', progressive, and good feedback, it's excellent.  Well done Yamaha[/em]
[em]Wordsmith (’39 model) – Brisbane, Queensland, Australia[/em]

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

Took the FJ in for the first service, install of the factory side bags and a bath. Wish I could download the picture, but yesterday after only 3 hours of being parked outside of work I had 2 robins building a phucking nest over the key hole just below the dash, dirt, mud and phucking sticks all over the dam thing. I swear if I worked outside of the city limits I would have pulled my piece and smoked me a couple little birdies.

• Premium Member
Took the FJ in for the first service, install of the factory side bags and a bath. Wish I could download the picture, but yesterday after only 3 hours of being parked outside of work I had 2 robins building a phucking nest over the key hole just below the dash, dirt, mud and phucking sticks all over the dam thing. I swear if I worked outside of the city limits I would have pulled my piece and smoked me a couple little birdies.
Sounds like they didn't even wait for the bike to cool down!   :) 

Put on my Vstream+ Sport windscreen today. Took her out for a spin and realized that i need to buy a new helmet...my shoei gt-air lacks hmm...Air!!
Is that the sport or sport touring? 
It´s the sport. Their shortest one, but it´s still half an inch or so taller than stock. Compared to the Calsci shorty i had before, this one actually steer the air away from my helmet:-)

• Premium Member
Looking for something much smaller, I found and quickly bought – for $10 – a small plastic tool box. I’ve discarded the interior upper tray, and secured the box to the bike’s rear rack (for the 28L top-box) where it fits perfectly between the upper parts of the pillion handles.  
Installing was done by simply putting two short bolts (head down) upwards through the rack and securing them to it with a Nyloc nut each to stop them dropping off under vibration 

That is a nice, simple solution; I'm ashamed I never thought of it.  I've been dithering over buying a top box, which would be really handy for holding bad-weather commuting gear -- which is in panniers now, but I gotta really want it to open that up and have everything fall out.  If I'm springing for a "real" moto topbox I'd pretty much want to use the Yamaha unit because I already have the mounting hardware. Going with a budget approach like this one wouldn't have me thinking, "I really wish I just got the Yamaha stuff." Right about now I think I probably should be thinking "budget."[1] 
Regarding the appearance, I was going to say "That looks pretty ghetto," but really it looks more workmanlike or perhaps truckish.  It's not so dissimilar from the look of a lot of the "adventure" luggage but a fiftieth of the cost.  It's definitely the cleanest looking shoestring-budget top box I've ever seen.

Thanks for the idea!

[1] Like maybe I shouldn't buy a bunch of moto or guitar stuff[2] after just popping for a Canon 5Dmk3 the other day.[3]

[2] Camera stuff? Moto stuff? Or music stuff? Some decisions are really hard! Can't I have *any* cheap hobbies?

[3] Especially after giving only a vague "I'm getting a camera that works better in low light" to my wife[4], without mention of price.[5]

[4] Hey, it's a "family" purchase.  I need the low light capability for stage shots of my daughter's acting troupe.[6][7][8][9]

[5] If one box shows up it's one thing, but if LOTS of them start showing up there are always uncomfortable economic discusions.

[6] No, really.

[7] Ok, mostly.

[8] How about "to some degree"?

[9] Well, it really will be a big improvement for that.

2015 FJ-09 (Mary Kate)
2007 Daytona 675 (Tabitha, ret.)
1998 Vulcan 800 (Ret.)
2001 SV650S (Veronica, Ret.)
2000 Intruder 800 (Ret.)

That is a nice, simple solution; I'm ashamed I never thought of it.  We've all been there, done that, jimf!   Cuppla PMs sent.   W

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

• Premium Member
I finally went to Mr. Ed's Moto today and got my seat customized. I can't believe it has taken me almost a year to get this done, considering I live less than a mile from Mr. Ed's shop.

6cxaW6p.jpg

O3pmSfb.jpg

spwSTCE.jpg