What did you do to your FJ-tracer-gt today?

• Supporting Member
2 hours ago, peteinpa said:

How did you access that? I've already tried and my OEM muffler was in the way.

I have an aftermarket pipe on the bike. I forgot just how greedy for space that OE muffler was.

canada.gif.22c5f8bdb95643b878d06c336f5fe29f.gif

50 minutes ago, piotrek said:

I have an aftermarket pipe on the bike. I forgot just how greedy for space that OE muffler was.

I figured.🤣  I'm going to try to remove the nut on the right side for the swing arm to get clearance on the left to insert the allen wrench.

• Supporting Member
3 hours ago, peteinpa said:

How did you access that? I've already tried and my OEM muffler was in the way. I'd have to remove the swingarm through shaft to do it. Was more then I wanted to do at the time.

Next time you change tires or have the wheel removed, at that point plan on the the few extra steps to clean and grease the swingarm, shock linkage and shift/brake pedal pivots when everything is already apart.  Once the wheel is removed, access to everything else is just removing a few bolts.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Premium Member

I decided to replace the rear pads with HH and abrade-clean all 3 rotors when I flush the brake fluid front & rear.

I do have an extensive M&M list for the VTR and a bigger list for the RD... If I'm up to it after my back surgery which now looks like I have to defer again till mid next month.  This may push starting to ride later tan my planned June 1 target.

2 hours ago, betoney said:

Next time you change tires or have the wheel removed, at that point plan on the the few extra steps to clean and grease the swingarm, shock linkage and shift/brake pedal pivots when everything is already apart.  Once the wheel is removed, access to everything else is just removing a few bolts.

I just looked at one of the parts order blowups. One of the left foot peg bracket bolts goes through both the side stand and centerstand brackets then into the frame. Will the bike still stand with that bolt removed?

This part of the bike isn't covered in the service manual. 

• Supporting Member
3 hours ago, peteinpa said:

I figured.🤣  I'm going to try to remove the nut on the right side for the swing arm to get clearance on the left to insert the allen wrench.

I don't remember how much space you would have in there... but maybe just loosen the chain to get it out of the way and cut the key short to just engage properly and still clear the muffler.

canada.gif.22c5f8bdb95643b878d06c336f5fe29f.gif

• Supporting Member
21 minutes ago, peteinpa said:

I just looked at one of the parts order blowups. One of the left foot peg bracket bolts goes through both the side stand and centerstand brackets then into the frame. Will the bike still stand with that bolt removed?

With the swingarm out of the way sitting on the floor, it is possible to access the shifter side without removing the rearset.  The brake side is a bit tighter depending what type of wrench you can fit in there.  In my case with an easy to remove slip-on exhaust, it was easier than if I had the one piece oem exhaust.

• Supporting Member
52 minutes ago, rodb47 said:

Went to loosen the rear axle nut. Something didn't feel right. Got tight instead of loose. Looks like I need some new parts.

20210117_121912.jpg

Unfortunately, that is a poor design and prone to damage.  I replaced mine with ones found on ebay from a seller in the U.K. though I cant find them currently listed.

image.thumb.png.00f04238db3b1d9048ec2337f178011d.png

• Thumbsup 1

33 minutes ago, betoney said:

Unfortunately, that is a poor design and prone to damage.  I replaced mine with ones found on ebay from a seller in the U.K. though I cant find them currently listed.

image.thumb.png.00f04238db3b1d9048ec2337f178011d.png

I'm looking right now. Found the Light Tech for $260. Yikes! Gonna keep looking. 

• Supporting Member

Last fall I had an 'oops' - walking the bike backwards, and, as the approach to my garage is neither level nor consistent (mixture of gravel and concrete), I lost balance and it landed on the left side.  Because the angle at rest was lower than the where the tires would line up with a ridge of concrete, I ended up kind of grinding the engine cover a bit into some gravel before finding my g/f to help me get it uprighted.

Result - scuffed up the engine case.  Friends, this is UNACCEPTABLE.  I demand perfection!  ...and the opportunity to fix my own stupid mistake...

20210116_173647.thumb.jpg.3b4c4c77d41f19c426a7f07c4f9bcfa9.jpg

20210116_173654.thumb.jpg.df7458d46e3611a6f0575945b65ac144.jpg

Seemed like a good time for an oil and coolant change.  The coolant was blue, so probably still the factory fluid.  There was a slight metallic 'sheen' to the coolant when I drained it.  Not sure if that's normal wear?  I plan to drain again in the fall and inspect - it's easy enough and it seems the risk of a vapor lock is low - I just followed the procedure and all went well.

New cover and gasket ready to bolt on:

20210116_173604.thumb.jpg.7e713b47d9b90283eab78a82d7809e2a.jpg

20210116_173713.thumb.jpg.61af0039338e8958dd38635e58159d11.jpg

Water pump seal replacement (For this entire assembly - stator cover & water pump - there are two crush washers and 4 O-rings that are one-time use and must be replaced if disassembled):

20210116_173730.thumb.jpg.f1a1ceb532624e1b8fca7fc298e9318e.jpg

All pretty again:

20210116_211334.thumb.jpg.a4995a968ce993db5ae0b61baf75da29.jpg

20210116_211353.thumb.jpg.8e7bdeb1f2ca1b7892ccd0ca95ce633d.jpg

Easy enough process, just time consuming.  The worst part was lining up the dowel for the gear between the starter motor and the stator.  Again, not difficult, just rotated the engine a bit with a breaker bar and it lined right up.  There are some short bolts, and some long ones...but it's obvious where they go, you can't get it wrong.  Warmed it up to temperature (until the fan cycled on/off) twice.  No leaks, although I may have overfilled the coolant reservoir because it vented some out the drain tube.

Resources used:

Stator cover (ebay) - FAR cheaper than from Yamaha, and clearly aftermarket construction - but all components fit perfectly.  Better yet, LOOKS perfect :D  Mission accomplished - 'oops' erased.

Parts list:

image.thumb.png.5e62cac59311e32bc8cf9a0fd482d69d.png

Explode-y diagrams:

1396658522_MT09TRAFJ-09WATERPUMP_Page_1.thumb.jpg.dfe54df5536163e0a95d419b14958624.jpg

805577982_MT09TRAFJ-09WATERPUMP_Page_2.thumb.jpg.94929e696f60f4ac1f60943667c9b4b4.jpg

image.thumb.png.8cba319f391f38e667a1896004678914.png

FZ-09 forum post FZ-09 forum post #2 Imgur photos

It took 6 weeks for the associated Yamaha o-rings and crush washers to arrive.

I'm not certain why the instructions call to remove the fuel tank - I didn't, and it wasn't in the way of anything.

Next:  Brake fluid flush.  Probably still factory fluid.

• Thumbsup 5
  • Like 2

2015 FJ-09 / FJR touring bags / oil plug mod / Evotech rad guard / SW Motech bash plate / GIVI DS2122S windscreen / Seat Concepts:  Sport Touring / Vcyclenut ABS rings (speedo correction) / Cosmo RAM mount

• Supporting Member
5 minutes ago, knyte said:

Last fall I had an 'oops' - I was walking the bike backwards and, as the approach to my garage is neither level nor consistent (mixture of gravel and concrete), I lost balance and it landed on the left side.  Because the angle it was resting was lower than the where the tires line up, I ended up kind of grinding the engine cover a bit into some gravel before finding my g/f to help me get it uprighted.

Result - scuffed up the engine case.  Friends, this is UNACCEPTABLE.  I demand perfection!  ...and the opportunity to fix my own stupid mistake...

Seemed like a good time for an oil and coolant change.  The coolant was blue, so probably still the factory fluid.  There was a slight metallic 'sheen' to the coolant when I drained it.  Not sure if that's normal wear?  I plan to drain again in the fall and inspect - it's easy enough and it seems the risk of a vapor lock is low - I just followed the procedure and all went well.

New cover and gasket ready to bolt on:

Water pump seal replacement (there were two crush washers and 5 O-rings that are one-time use and must be replaced if disassembled:

All pretty again:

Easy enough process, just time consuming.  The worst part was lining up the dowel for the gear between the starter motor and the stator.  Again, not difficult, just rotated the engine a bit with a breaker bar and it lined right up.  Warmed it up to temperature (until the fan cycled on/off) twice.  No leaks, although I may have overfilled the coolant reservoir because it vented some out the drain tube.

Resources used:

Stator cover (ebay) - FAR cheaper than from Yamaha, and clearly aftermarket construction - but all components fit perfectly.  Better yet, LOOKS perfect :D  Mission accomplished - 'oops' erased.

FZ-09 forum post FZ-09 forum post #2 Imgur photos

It took 6 weeks for the associated Yamaha o-rings and crush washers to arrive.

Next:  Brake fluid flush.  Probably still factory fluid.

Nice job on the replacement, looks good!  -To me- that damage is extremely minimal but I understand wanting to keep the bike near perfect looking. 👍

• Thumbsup 1