What did you do to your FJ-tracer-gt today?

1 hour ago, Stew said:

I still think and talk in lbs, and feet and inches, and gallons , and all 'proper' units of measurement.

I use some combination there of. For small or exact stuff, I use mm. For medium stuff, I use inches. For medium large stuff, I'll use feet. For large stuff I'll use meters. I tried using centimetres and decimetres but nobody knows wtf you're talking about on either side of the pond. 

I really hate saying something like "523mm" when I could simply say "slightly less than 2 foot" or "about 22 inches". 

• Thumbsup 1
  • Like 1

'15 FJ09

• Premium Member

Somehow I manage to remember the formula for converting inches to millimeters and millimeters to inches and I understand centimeters but well the metric system makes perfect sense without fractions and decimals I can't say well it's a hundred meters without thinking of a football field which is a hundred yards to get a feel for it because our football it's not your football which we call soccer and I played since I was in high school before it was popular and games like cricket are similar to baseball but not! It's all so much fun

I also know how to convert Centigrade 2 Fahrenheit but going back is more problematic for me

Though your -32 centigrade is the same as ours at a certain point I find centigrade to inexact and Fahrenheit much better at expressing felt temperature taking into account dewpoint and relative humidity especially

Now I find cubic inches to be more difficult than cubic centimeters because we work on bikes which are usually so much smaller than cars or trucks I get when somebody says two and a half liters but cubic inches no

Grams vs pounds are another one I find ounces to be easier to understand now fluid ounces we're getting back into volume but as far as weight goes again I find grams stretch to convert to ounces and kilos forget about it

• Thumbsup 2

• Supporting Member
4 hours ago, 2and3cylinders said:

...I'll have to check again why my low speed constant throttle is running funny kind of surging or hunting..

Sounds like you've gone over the prime suspects already. Maybe check for vacuum leaks again? Cap the ports short this time (OE). Injector(s) fouled up maybe? Good luck finding the culprit.

canada.gif.22c5f8bdb95643b878d06c336f5fe29f.gif

• Supporting Member

Today I put the VStream back on.

I mean, I've never ridden with the factory screen - so just HAD to try it.  Oops.

• Thumbsup 1

2015 FJ-09 / FJR touring bags / oil plug mod / Evotech rad guard / SW Motech bash plate / GIVI DS2122S windscreen / Seat Concepts:  Sport Touring / Vcyclenut ABS rings (speedo correction) / Cosmo RAM mount

• Premium Member
3 hours ago, piotrek said:

Sounds like you've gone over the prime suspects already. Maybe check for vacuum leaks again? Cap the ports short this time (OE). Injector(s) fouled up maybe? Good luck finding the culprit.

Thanks

Never had a vacuum leak from my remote TB port lines, even checked with soapy water.

Haven't used Chevron Techron for a while (I buy it x d'gallon), will next couple fill ups. Not a believer in Seafoam yet may try it if I can't get Yamaha Ring Free + cheap which is very good though $$$I

https://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-Yamalube-ACC-RNGFR-PL-12-Ring-Additive/dp/B002GU4SN2

10 hours ago, 2and3cylinders said:

But if you read my question to you where you said the opposite of what 1 Moore Road said it did acti on the open-loop?

The Booster Plug only impacts open-loop, because it changes the air temperature reported to the ECU.  Once the ECU is in closed-loop mode, it's adjusts fueling based on the O2 sensor (assuming you've not disabled it) instead, so the Booster Plug has no impact whatsoever on closed-loop fueling.

• Thumbsup 1

• Premium Member
20 hours ago, 2and3cylinders said:

But if Scotland and England use miles per hour including on your road signs, and  4 pints of Brew, why did you otherwise go metric?

Further adding to the confusion is that an imperial gallon is bigger than a US gallon. This is why UK riders claim to get 50-60mpg on their Tracers.

• Thumbsup 1
  • Like 1

• Premium Member
4 hours ago, keithu said:

Further adding to the confusion is that an imperial gallon is bigger than a US gallon. This is why UK riders claim to get 50-60mpg on their Tracers.

US gallon is about 20% less, so 55 mpg x .8 = 44 US mpg, yeah!  Which I got even that

• Premium Member

I put some low price Chinese adjustable levers on mine years ago, and never regretted it. I love the adjustability. So much better. 

• Thumbsup 1
  • Like 1
2015 Stealth Grey FJ-09 Pilot
Base of Operations: Chesterfield, VA
Farkels? Lots, nothing flashy, but all functional...

• Supporting Member
1 hour ago, MemphisTracer said:

clutch.jpg

I noticed you still have the first generation clutch cable with the 'kinks' in it.  Keep an eye on it as those are notorious for fraying inside the sheath, it may never happen but there were many reports where it did.  There was a revision with an -02- in the part number.

• Thumbsup 4

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

48 minutes ago, betoney said:

I noticed you still have the first generation clutch cable with the 'kinks' in it.  Keep an eye on it as those are notorious for fraying inside the sheath, it may never happen but there were many reports where it did.  There was a revision with an -02- in the part number.

Thanks for the heads up @betony. Should I have it replaced? Is it any easy fix?

Fun adventures in electronics!  As I've talked about before, I love my electronics.  But having to plug my phone into a 12v->USB adapter like a bloody peasant is annoying, and it presents waterproofing issues for foul weather. 

Sadly, like said bloody peasant, the plague has left budgets very thin.  RAM has wireless charging mounts, but they're absolutely ridiculously expensive.  But hey, wireless chargers are really cheap, and I already have an X-Grip mount with a raised "RAM MOUNTS" logo sticker on it...  

Enter the ebay wireless charger getup ($5): 

s-l400.jpg

Find many great new & used options and get the best deals for...

I ordered two.  I thought at first the dual coil would work better, but it doesn't - not really.  Testing showed it just made it work in more positions, but that's not really relevant for use in a RAM mount where it's always in exactly the same position - I get better results just having a single coil in the right position.  So... I removed both coils by clumsily smashing the PCB with my soldering iron, and added a huge length of 18 guage wire from the PCB (where one of the coils was connected) to the coil.  The coils are glued onto a adhesive backed graphite sheet (Why? I don't know) so I pulled off one coil, and cut the sheet back to be just a couple mm bigger around then the coil.  I addressed waterproofing (if that's even a problem here, I have no idea to be honest) I drizzled some two-part clear resin epoxy over the coil and surface of the graphite.  Gives it a nice, smooth, shiny surface that's fairly grippy (just like the old RAM MOUNTS sticker!), and at least makes me feel better about waterproofness.  Glued it in place of the old sticker, crammed everything in behind the windshield, tied a USB charger into the switched power in there, and bam! 

My old X-Grip now has wireless charging.  Fast charging, in fact!  

20200807_185714.thumb.jpg.dc75bb2e076ee152976d994d85636964.jpg

Yeah, it's a bit off center - kind of low.  This is because due to button placement on the phone, I need to have it a bit low in the mount, and this spot got me the best charging results. 

I'm pretty happy with it - powered when the bike is on, so any time my phone is in the mount, it's charging, no more cables!

20200807_143900.jpg

20200807_144035.jpg

20200807_185704.jpg

• Thumbsup 3
  • Like 1

• Supporting Member
2 hours ago, MemphisTracer said:

Thanks for the heads up @betony. Should I have it replaced? Is it any easy fix?

Here is some info.

• Thumbsup 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***