Canada-born, Texas-living girl just bought a 2015 FJ-09 - Coming from an R3, recommendations please!

SpookyJade

The title is the short version, LOL!
Before I get started with this wall of text, I really want to express my gratitude for this community and its forum. I stumbled upon it while researching my second bike and the greater CP3 platform before I got thrown the Yamaha name-tornado. MT-07 FZ-07 FJ-07 Tracer 700, Tracer 900, Tracer 9? Nah, Tracer 9 GT++, Oh, but the FJ-09 was great and a mix of everything so let's redefine the lineup distinction, but also US- Euro naming!? 'Tenere' sounds like a similar goofy T-name, lets add it to the catalog???! Hell, what about a bagger FJRST-1100A Flying Hondyamacours!? Or or or, how will we appease the old and disgruntled fazer lovers I digress but as the saying goes: you never find the 'one', you find a better idea of the one you're looking for. 🧓

I suppose a cleaner and less ranty approach would have been a little who-am-I?!😊😋
I'm Jade and I am a 26-year-old woman who happened to be raised by the most incredible dad. As an electrical + network engineer, a private pilot (who throughout my life has built two of his own Van's aircraft and has pictures of me at age 5 or 6 cleco'ing the wings), and a long-time motorcycle enthusiast, my dad raised me around Honda cars and Suzuki bikes and taught me to be self-sufficient. Though I was born in Canada, my father was quickly offered a sponsored job in the states for a tech giant. Eventually after living in Kansas for most of my life, my sister had moved to Texas and my parents wanted to build a house and hangar on an airway, so the rest of us decided to move to DFW Texas in 2019. Surely nothing awful would happen globally soon after! 😅 I also currently drive a 2019 Civic Si in addition to this FJ and R3, and I am looking at selling the R3 now..

FOR THE BIG NEWS and how I got here! 🙂
I recently became engaged (💝!!!!) and I felt it was finally time.
I needed a motorcycle upgrade. One that would be:

A) practical to get groceries or have the panniers serve as our 1-2 daytrip luggage that we can remove for the hotel and take a spirited ride. 

B) bigger since I am 6'2"//188cm and the R3 had my knees crying after 20 minutes. My dad is similar and he loved his 1986 Suzuki Madura 1200 but for only 2 years it was made and eventually it was too hard to maintain, shock failed. 

C) sporty and forward-stanced since I am young and have been on sports bikes for my whole riding career and prefer it for my chronic back problem hurts less this way. I've noticed the FJ-09 front tire likes being light when im on the throttle and so I do lack any discernible road feedback. My friends mainly ride 600s and the occasional liter supersport but I'm proud they aren't a brainless bunch. This FJ with nice street-sized tires and a better modified rear-shock (I've no idea as to how bad the stock one was), it feels like a beast but looks like a dual sport-adjacent lol. What the hell-yes! Sleeper build haha! The low-down torque is great compared next to the group's smaller inline-4s and climbing to 80-90mph quickly with them is a blast. Luckily, they are all good lads and don't entertain the 150mph-down-the-busy-highway mindset that so many riders have here in Texas. Do I wish I could reline at 16k maybe, but come on.... that usable street torque..
All this said my group is no slouch in 50+mph corners, and I hope to trust my tires and throttle control more as this machine is tall and torquey! I flat foot and woman-handle the R3 like a toy in comparison lol

D) a power upgrade compared to the 40-some horses I was effectively utilizing on the R3. This one is huge for overtaking on the Texas highways where I need the torque and everyone is going 85-90mph. The twin-cyclinder buzzing at 6th gear 10k was.... not particularly enjoyable either! 😆    (read: miserable)

Lastly, I have that physical body similar to my dad - and I generally fear experiencing what he did with his 3rd or 4th bike. He had the Suzuki that was made for only 2 years. He loved this damn thing and had it forever. Eventually it was too hard to find parts to maintain it and ultimately the rear shock failed where he couldn't find an OEM replacement. He begrudgingly got rid of the motorcycle. 
I wanted a bike with a lot of support, and it seems pretty tried and true that this thing withstands it all.

Leading into this week my father sent me a killer Facebook marketplace listing of a 2015 FJ-09 (including panniers-!) with 7k miles on the odometer for a little under $7000.

WHAT-!!!

My dad recently revived his love for riding with FJR1300 purchase - we have been riding together on weekends meeting 1 hour from each other- and I guess he finally had enough of my comfort complaints. He thought to send me a similar Yamaha. The listing showed this FJ had an aftermarket rear suspension (not sure which off the top of my head), a Sargent seat, and a lot of other quality of life//tour things. After checking threads here about what was modified, a lot of the work done correlated with suggestions here.
After picking it yesterday and only driving it the 30 minutes needed to get home before sundown, I write this post at work the following morning.

Keep in mind I'm actively coming from a 2016 Yamaha R3 with a lovely, poppy M4 exhaust to this - and really loved the sport riding position//almost clip-ons the R3 had (albeit fairly neutral. nothing like an R6). But this all sloppily leads us to this silly conclusion.
Does anyone have any sporty recommendations for this bike?
I know I am crazy and almost anyone will tell me I just bought the wrong bike. But I am actively perusing past discussion posts and searching applicable information here and elsewhere for anyone that has made this bike a lot sportier in its body position or has a supersport history... Is there anything I can do to improve my experience? The previous owner has 1" bar risers installed and so I think&feel that I am sitting in a weird position on my Sargent seat to salvage having a somewhat comfortable handlebar position. Seen a popular post by someone switching to Rizoma 403B(?) 60mm risers.
Whatever I need to do, I feel wat too upright and hanging my torso back, causing upper back pain keeping myself pushed backwords oddly enough. I'm still learning what can be improved for my taste and proportions. Dad begged me to keep the stock exhaust too after the no cat no silencer R3 haha... but I'm already looking at an ECU flash for the FJ-09. Some power gain but mainly a smoother throttle/fueling?? I find I can't precisely dial the throttle coming-on enough and its bright and snippy with bringing the power back in after shifting or adjusting your cruise speed.

I also find the currently installed Vstream windshield makes me and my RF-1400 Shoei helmet a bobblehead. BAD. I was on a R3 with essentially a non-existent windshield and I didn't get this much noise and gust. I thought touring windshields should be recliner status, not buffet city! Hah

The seller's posting stated these as the known accessories. It also has some nice yellow $200 rear tire adjusters ❤️ 
ABS
Factory Yamaha Saddlebags
National Cycle V-Stream Windshield
Up-graded rear suspension
Dunlop Roadsmart Tires
KTM Handguards
VistaCruise Cruise control
Handlebar Risers
Sargent Seat
SAE Powerplug for tank bag
Sae Powerplug for Battery Maintainer
Sae Powerplug for Heated Clothing
Cigarette lighter type plug in dash
Original Seat, Windshield, Handguards and Owner's Manual included

I will work on getting some more photos posted throughout the week! I think I want a white and olive-green wrap to switch it up... I have the same gray paint for the R3 and my Civic lol. Maybe some 'lighteight' engine crash bars or simply lightweight bolt sliders to protect the plastics too.. some metal covers for the lower engine ..? The bike has been so pristinely cared for, I'd like to keep it that way.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

Edited by SpookyJade
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, robzilla said:

Welcome - Best intro and shortest title ever!! 😆 Congrats on the engagement and new bike!

Hope folks here can offer suggestions and you find what you're looking for.

Thank you Rob!!
It is still all so surreal feeling and I am ALL OVER the place with my scattered thoughts - what I'm sure of is this CP3 motor is a HOOT and I will constantly be editing and adding this thread's info as the questions and observations come to me 😆!

Really, I just need to address this beast's comfort for my weird back that likes hunching over and going fast- as the practicality, size, planted weight, flick ability.... all of rest feels amazing. With Yamaha's R9 released recently it was my expensive first choice, but I've put it off for a year or two now as the experience of adventuring with my other person comes 1st and it still has this stupid maniacal smile-inducing effect on me with the torque/power to weight.
Another thing, it really does helps not having an extra person's weight rest on your arms and wrists while traveling 30+ minutes! They wouldn't even entertain sitting on the R3 with me.... I wonder why, where would they sit!? 😅

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
1 hour ago, SpookyJade said:

Vstream windshield makes me a bobblehead.

THIS.  Exactly my experience, too.  I'm 6'0.  Not only that, due to the excessive forces at play by the exaggeratedly tall windscreen, this barn door messed up some body panels at the bottom of the V between the headlights.  Not the end of the world, but annoying.  I tried the factory windscreen but found it lacking.  I picked up a GIVI DS2122S sport screen from another member here and it's farrr better (for me) than either of the other two.

You may wish to try removing the aftermarket risers to change your rider triangle a bit.  The factory risers can also rotate to move forward a bit. 

https://www.tracer900.net/topic/16545-anyone-modify-the-handlebar-position-to-be-more-forward/#comment-166407

As a taller person, you likely have long enough arms for this, and it'd put you in more of a sporty riding position.

Lastly, welcome to the forum :). Your enthusiasm is infectious 😁 

2015 FJ-09 / FJR touring bags / oil plug mod / Evotech rad guard / SW Motech bash plate / GIVI DS2122S windscreen / Seat Concepts:  Sport Touring / Vcyclenut ABS rings (speedo correction) / Cosmo RAM mount

1 minute ago, knyte said:

Another person and a Canadian too?? Yay! I'm from western parts of Ontario 🙂 really nice to meet you.

I'm glad I'm not alone in this. When I was inspecting the bike before its purchase even, I noticed how sloppy and pliable the edge of the windshield was and how it was mounted?? Glad to know I'm not alone in this, super odd. I'll have to look for any sign of wear there.
I do have very long arms.. the sight of me in my gear on the R3 makes me look like a damn squished chicken! 
The wider handlebar is taking some getting used to, and cool I did see the roll forward you can set it to with the OEM riser! I'll have to try it before spending an additional $200 for shorter ones with their only goal being to help me hurt less & tuck on my tank 🤣 No idea yet on how the OEM seat handles vs the Sargent brand one, but I have both to fiddle with for now. I suppose I want the highest height in the seat if I want a forward triangle position. Or mess with an aftermarket rearset actually, I find myself wanting my feet further back...

No clue how unreasonably demanding I'm being -  or if the FJ is the same relative triangle that exists for say, modern day Triumph Tigers or Honda CBR650Rs.  

• Thumbsup 1

28 minutes ago, knyte said:

I tried the factory windscreen but found it lacking.  I picked up a GIVI DS2122S sport screen from another member here and it's farrr better (for me) than either of the other two.

You may wish to try removing the aftermarket risers to change your rider triangle a bit.  The factory risers can also rotate to move forward a bit. 

This Givi screen looks perfect for my aesthetic, will add it to my definite list of things I'll be buying. It's like.. I know I can be comfortable at 100 without a screen. I was doing it riding the balls off the R3. I really do think I'd be better off without one even attached with how it performs currently, so thank you kindly! 

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member

Welcome to the forum.  I have the same year FJ09 in red.

A few things about the bars, you can remove the added 1" bar risers and then as @knyte mentioned also rotate the risers around so they are slightly forward.  (slightly shorter risers are also an option).

Concerning the light front end feeling when accelerating, it is fairly common to raise the fork tubes in the bar clamps about 5mm (some riders go as high as 10mm)  This change slightly lowers the front end putting a bit more weight over the front tire.

An ECU flash GREATLY smooths out the fueling, especially the 2015 which was notoriously bad.  In addition, make sure that your throttle cable is adjusted with minimal slack or slop and experiment with the 3 different ride modes, 'A' is the sharpest throttle response, 'STD' is slightly more subdued and 'B' is (B)oring, sometimes known as "rain mode'.

Both VCYCLENUT and 2WHEELDYNOWORKS have great reputations flashing the FJ09/Tracer, there are other flashes available as well.

Concerning the screen, every model of FJ09/Tracer900/9/GT+ have complaints of noisy screen or excessive buffeting and bigger screens can make it worse, I prefer smaller screens oven in a cooler climate.  If you want to see how much noise and buffeting the large screen brings, try completely removing the screen and go for a ride and rejoice in the smooth, clean airflow you experience, similar to a naked bike.

Did you buy the bike from a dealership or private seller?  If you don't know the maintenance history, it might be a good idea to change all of the fluids including the brakes, only 7,000 miles in nearly 10 years means it probably sat around quite a bit.

Enjoy the bike!!  I have 85,000 miles on mine and its still going strong.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Hey all! Welcome to the most chatty thread in months 😝 so first off before I forget these things -

THANK YOU piotrek for pointing me to the sporty Texan 😂 bars look great and just what I want- sans a different bar entirely if needed with the risers for the dropped arms.

And Betoney, what a wealth of information!! I too thought such little miles, but it was pristinely upkept by an 83 year old that had been riding for 60 years across 160 some bikes (woah!!) but is developing a bad balance problem. Brake fluid looks a bit dirty and the oil will need changing for my peace of mind.

ONTO THE BAD NEWS THIS EVENING.

As I was 5 minutes from coming home after work, I went to accelerate at a green light and give some revs and let out the clutch- but the revs go high and the bike bites and lurches forward and stalls. Completely befuddled, I go to pull the clutch handle in since I’m in first gear and press the ignition switch…

The bike leaps in unison to the starter windup attempts. I can start the bike in neutral and it idles, but pulling the clutch lever in and putting it down into first or up into second causes the bike to launch and stall immediately. I did what I could to diagnose the cabling and linkage to the case but I don’t see anything apparent- seems the clutch itself is stuck and sorta engaged? I mean, I pull the clutch lever in while in any gear and still cannot move more than a few inches front to back yanno?

anyways.. not only did all of this happen and my waiting 2 hours for a tow truck through Progressive insurance.. No no, the driver arrives and asks me to help load the bike up and pick ratchet strap points. Begrudgingly I helped get it on this oily hydraulic truck bed to lift it up and get it to the house. Come to find out the last car he towed had left an oily slick explosion. I could barely walk it, my feet sliding everywhere. 

Upon arriving at home, the tower loosens the ratchet straps and I prepare to keep the bike level as he lowers the ramp. He lowered the ramp with the motor switch flicking on and suddenly off in a jolting fashion, as he sees me slide and I suppose had panicked. My tires just slide down and my weight got twisted up and down on the right side I went. I demanded he take photos immediately to document it as he must be contracted through the insurance company, and he goes walking over to me and immediately tries buffing out the pannier scratches. WTF. Then he played stupid and wanted me to sign a damn waiver on his phone that it arrived how it was picked up. 

Submitting a claim and we’ll see how it goes I guess because what the hell!

• Sad 3

Oh no @SpookyJade, what a terrible end to a first day. 

Those bags are expensive, and I don’t think you can simply replace the lid on the “City” bags as they are called like you can on an FJR bag (which mounts the same but have a “deeper” painted lid). Smart to get pictures, don’t let them get away with it!  Depending on how hard the bike came down on the RH side the bars may have been tweaked as well. If it’s got heated grips those will need to be replaced also. (The LH grip is usually epoxied on and even if you get it off it can be easily destroyed during removal)

I hope you weren’t hurt (based on your descriptions of your back pain issues!)

Sounds like the clutch cable snapped.  Yamaha updated the cable back in late 2015-16 or so, it has a slightly different bend right near the bar. Also since this bike has risers, it’s potentially been putting extra strain onto the cable as well. 

Order and install a new cable. It should also be held into a small metal “guide” that’s attached to the upper LH radiator mount. GREAT time to ditch those risers and mount the bars stock, but with the mounts rotated 180 degrees as others have mentioned to you above. 

Will you do the work yourself or send it to a shop? It’s easier to replace the cable with the tank off, although it can be done by “threading” it through the frame by attaching it to the old cable. Sometimes that’s enough of a struggle that pulling the tank from the beginning may have been the right call!

regarding your other questions, all the responses above are perfect and I would add: that you can delete the KTM handguards, sell them on Marketplace or whatever and buy a set of FZ/MT 09 bar ends with bolts, and install them once you’ve removed the handguards. This along with a stubby windscreen will give you the “sportier” front end look and feel you’re searching for…

reflashing will smooth out the fueling, but I would caution that it WILL NOT entirely (In my experience on my own bike) remove ALL of the “abruptness” you experience when changing throttle positon from a “cruising” to throttle on, or hard acceleration. This is a characteristic of the 1st GEN (FJ) models and you’ll adapt. (Or not lol)  the R3 is much more gentle, while (as you’ve discovered) the CP3 engine is just an animal. I have a 2WDW flash and would try the Vcyclenut flash instead if I were to do it again, hoping for just a bit more throttle “smoothness” when making slight “on/off” changes. Or get opinions from owners that may have had both around here?

setting your corner speed before entering is a good goal to help with the “abruptness” not throwing you off your line as you ride.

if you’re considering an exhaust change within a short time period, wait to flash until you’ve settled on a pipe. If that’s a future purchase, get the flash done sooner as it can always he flashed again down the road for the exhaust usually for just the cost of shipping.

The TPS/APS relationship can be adjusted slightly to change the throttle response as well, but for some riders this isn’t very noticeable. 

what service has the bike had? Were the valves adjusted?

Welcome! And as others have noted, thanks for firing up the forum posts. I think we All sometimes forget how EXCITING New! Bike! Day! can be…

-Skip

• Thumbsup 1
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, skipperT said:

I hope you weren’t hurt EXCITING New! Bike! Day! can be…

-Skip

Tell me about it!! 🤣 But I'm perfectly safe!!
Just one very disgruntled, disappointed biker lol.

My father and I were on the phone over the 2-3 hours of waiting on a truck to arrive. He was researching for me in real-time and noticed that cable issue was mentioned a lot and he recommended I buy one ASAP. THOUGH, the bar riser maybe putting stress on it too is a good point! We tried adjusting the cable on the lever side, and did see/feel the cable actuate down at the case.. We are both very DIY people, we were going to rip it apart this weekend at my parents but now with the insurance claim, the modifiying (stubby windshield, rizoma short risers, bar ends + mirrors, clutch cable, small stuff) and tinkering has to wait. 🫠 Damn thing isn't even registered under my name yet!

Anyways, so the bike is back at my place and the adjuster got my statement this morning. As of now the $500 deductible is on me until she gets the tow companies side and all that. I informed them that my clutch was acting oddly and so I didn't feel safe to ride it home, hence the tow. After the hard drop, getting it to select between gear positions is even more of a bitch.  🤕 

Of course, the adjuster heard this and made the connection that the clutch was likely an outside issue, and the motor state now may not be their concern. Only cosmetics.
I fought back against this shit quite swiftly to say the least... I have no experience with insurance and to be honest I'm expecting the worst. (No assistance provided yet I continue paying for the lovely 'mandatory service' anyways! Hooray!)

Insurance wants to set up a time next week for it to get inspected, so I'll hope for the best that whatever shop chosen does their due diligence. This year has been a hell of a time and I was only hoping for maybe oneeeee worry free week of ownership! For 7k miles the thing has been so cared for. No valve maintenance done yet but when would it need to be done, sans the recommended mileage to do it? (Maybe just the length of time? I don't know enough about modern engines)

I make a horrible patient for allllll of this waiting around in my future-! 😃

50 minutes ago, skipperT said:

setting your corner speed before entering is a good goal to help with the “abruptness” not throwing you off your line as you ride.

OOOOOFF, ouch! Haha but you're so right 😅

Only 7k miles? You’re good to go. Think about spark plugs around 12k, inspecting the air cleaner (book says replace around 20k IIRC) and the fluids should be changed if they haven’t been already. 

to follow up on the clutch: it sounds like you checked it out, but BE SURE the cable moves at the engine side in direct relationship to the clutch lever movement. They’ve also been known to stretch before breaking and that could also be what you’re experiencing. Try adjusting the free play up at the lever so it measures around 10-15mm at the end of the lever and see if that improves the clutch engage/disengagement. If it’s only temporary and acts up again- it’s the cable. 

re difficult shifting? Look at the shifter from above the bike (ie when seated) the lever should be at a 90 degree angle to the mounting bolt, if that makes sense. If it’s tweaked toward the right and hits the shift rod or another part of the bike (engine car cover), it’s bent. However you said the bike fell toward the Right so the shifter should be ok; I’d look more closely at that clutch cable. 
-skip